• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

WD Red NAS drive longevity?

Mindovermaster    2,375

I'm running a M.2 NVME only. So no wires except for the normal. 24-pin, etc etc.

Also have 2x 3TB WD Blues for file backup and movie backup. Using an external dock.

notta    75
1 hour ago, adrynalyne said:

So in a 4 year period, which doesn't seem abnormal for an HDD, you've had a 40% failure rate.

I haven't had a drive die in over ~2 years so I am out of the game on prices. The Red's have really come down in price, but when I purchased those drives the Seagate's were $100 while the WD Red drives were 3 times the price. $700 compared to $1500 works for me.

patseguin    1,319
4 hours ago, sc302 said:

For storage on my pc's I buy ssd's.  I have a 32TB nas for movies and music and to backup.

They are still pretty cost prohibitive for larger storage needs though, for me at least. Are they still around $500-600 for a 1TB?

sc302    1,740
48 minutes ago, patseguin said:

They are still pretty cost prohibitive for larger storage needs though, for me at least. Are they still around $500-600 for a 1TB?

just under 300 bux

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078DPCY3T/ref=twister_B079P94LLX?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

m2 is a bit more expensive

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LXS4TY6/ref=twister_B01N78T39B?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

patseguin    1,319
1 hour ago, sc302 said:

That's only the EVO, but still tempting. I still run 2x 2TB hard drives for my big storage volume. Maybe I could get a 1TB EVO and move data to my NAS.

sc302    1,740
1 hour ago, patseguin said:

That's only the EVO, but still tempting. I still run 2x 2TB hard drives for my big storage volume. Maybe I could get a 1TB EVO and move data to my NAS.

It's only an evo

http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Samsung-860-Evo-1TB-vs-Samsung-860-Pro-1TB/m423831vsm434505

The 960 is a bigger difference between the evo and the pro.  The 860 just came out and is a bit more narrow.

here is an another article on the 860

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/02/05/samsung-860-pro-review/

DevTech    1,517
1 hour ago, patseguin said:

19 minutes ago, sc302 said:

It's only an evo

http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Samsung-860-Evo-1TB-vs-Samsung-860-Pro-1TB/m423831vsm434505

The 960 is a bigger difference between the evo and the pro.  The 860 just came out and is a bit more narrow.

If you have write-heavy workloads get the Pro

If you have super write heavy workloads like Dev, Graphics, Video Editing, then get the Pro and create more "spare cells" by leaving 10% of the drive unformatted. (must never be partioned or formatted - then, the firmware steals it for spares)

For standard consumer usage the 960 EVO is just great and significantly less expensive than the Pro in large sizes.

I have not yet had a chance to evaluate the 860.

The newer Samsung EVO SSDs use a type of 3D NAND TLC that has far larger number of writes before cell death - I think it jumps TLC from 2k-20K right up to 200K. That means a 960 EVO can be used in "light professional" environments and still maintain good write performance over the lifespan of the computer.

• Like 1

Mindovermaster    2,375
10 minutes ago, DevTech said:

If you have write-heavy workloads get the Pro

If you have super write heavy workloads like Dev, Graphics, Video Editing, then get the Pro and create more "spare cells" by leaving 10% of the drive unformatted. (must never be partioned or formatted - then, the firmware steals it for spares)

For standard consumer usage the 960 EVO is just great and significantly less expensive than the Pro in large sizes.

I have not yet had a chance to evaluate the 860.

The newer Samsung EVO SSDs use a type of 3D NAND TLC that has far larger number of writes before cell death - I think it jumps TLC from 2k-20K right up to 200K. That means a 960 EVO can be used in "light professional" environments and still maintain good write performance over the lifespan of the computer.

Plus Pro has better warranty...

Ghost_in_da_Machine    0

I'm just seeing one of my 4tb Red drives failing.  It's been in use for 2½ years. Very dissatisfied tbh. I previously used Seagate and have rarely had issues. I hope this isn't indicative because I have a few WD Red drives in my set up now. 

adrynalyne    12,320
1 hour ago, Ghost_in_da_Machine said:

I'm just seeing one of my 4tb Red drives failing.  It's been in use for 2½ years. Very dissatisfied tbh. I previously used Seagate and have rarely had issues. I hope this isn't indicative because I have a few WD Red drives in my set up now. 

I’ve had Seagate drives die in the same time range. Sometimes it’s just hit or miss.