Intel Quad-Core Pentium Processor J3710 Makes for a pretty good little Windows server

About 6 months ago I purchased a "ASRock Rack J3710-ITX Motherboard" from Amazon, for $109. I'm sad they are currently out of stock as I would love to buy another one right now

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E97ZTPA/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

41009592142_937d421c87_c.jpg

You may want to keep your eyes open for one because it makes a nice file server. I used it to transition from an intel i7 920 beast I had with 4 hard drives running 24/7 into a computer I built using this motherboard to reduce my power consumption. The Pentium J3710 has a TDP of

6.5 W  and is passively cooled.

The Windows box I'm running off this cute little guy services 3 purposes

A file server for 5 drivers

A voicemail server with Ezvoice which records caller ID info and sends me a text message and an email with the voicemail.

A VM inside a Virtual box which runs PiVPN

Had to put in a Sata card for support for the 5th drive.

While connected via RDP and watching the CPU usages it jumps from around from 3% - 15% (though some of that might be the RDP)

So maybe you can't find this particular motherboard but a J3710, in general, would work pretty good.

7 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

I'm looking at this one:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157728

It's a bit lower version, but it is "similar" to yours. J3445 - J3710

I plan (in future) to use this as my NAS.

Nice find. Has a higher power usage by 4 watts but has higher benchmarks

Just now, warwagon said:

Nice find. Has a higher power usage by 4 watts but has higher benchmarks

Been looking at that for like 3 months now... :laugh:

57 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Been looking at that for like 3 months now... :laugh:

Just ordered one! Thanks! I have a few uses for it. First, I'm going to try and have it replace my security cam recording system (5 cameras). The build in Decoding on this board should help with the CPU load. Current CPU has a CPU TDP of 80 watts. If it fails there I may use it as a new QuickBooks computer that I access over RDP. It's running off an i5 laptop with a TDP of 35 watts.

5 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Just ordered one! Thanks! I have a few uses for it. First, I'm going to try and have it replace my security cam recording system (5 cameras). The build in Decoding on this board should help with the CPU load. Current CPU has a CPU TDP of 80 watts. If it fails there I may use it as a new QuickBooks computer that I access over RDP. It's running off an i5 laptop with a TDP of 35 watts.

Glad I could be of service. :)

Hello,

I have an ASRock J3455-ITX which I use as a platform for testing software.  It has a ZOTAC GeForce GT710 1GB PCIe ×1 card in it (leftover from a previous build).  I can't say that I've noted any issues with the system.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

So the motherboard arrived and I put it in my security cam windows machine. Turned out to be a bit more of a chore than I thought it would be, only because that motherboard was pretty much made for windows 10 and the system I was moving over was Windows 7. But it's ok, there was just the security cam software so I just clean installed.

Before I swapped it out I put a Killawatt reader on the old XEON System while I was cloning it's SSD in another machine. Just turned on at a black screen with a blinky line in the corner it was consuming 101 watts. Once I finished cloning (before I realized I had to clean install), ran the software to get an idea how many watts it was using 24/7. 115 watts or $87.90 or $7.36 per month.

I put the new system together got Windows installed and the security can software and measured that too. 28 Watts or $1.7 per Month or $21.40 per year. I had to dumb the res on the cameras down from 1080p to 720p but they still look good.