• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Product Recommendations Needed (For Wireless Neighbourhood Internet)

Question

WAQT    218

So my new neighbourhood has pretty bad internet service, but the next neighbourhood has FTTH with a max speed of 30Mbps synchronous. We plan to get 1-4 connections over there, so 30-120Mbps synchronous at the host point. We then want wireless AP/Clients at our locations to utilize that internet.

1. The location of the internet (AP) is a maximum of 6KM (60°) away from the furthest point in the neighbourhood.
  2. The location of the internet (AP) is a maximum of 4KM (PTP) away from an ideal location (middle) of our neighbourhood.
  3. Maximum distance from ideal location (#2 above) to any point in my neighborhood: 3KM 360°
  4. This map gives a rough idea: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yGSmYu5hQ67L5ooxVb4yro7uLUIwpJDZ&usp

I was looking into UBNT product line but am confused as to what suits my needs. Specifically what kind of AP I would need along with clients. Can someone help?

1. If I want one AP to multiple clients within 6KM and 60°. Which AP and client to choose?
  2. If I want AP to Client (4KM PTP) and then from the Client location another AP to cover 3KM and 360°. What kind of APs and clients?
  3. If I want multiple APs at source and clients connect to their respected APs (so each house has a dedicated AP to connect to). What kind of AP and client would I need?

I would like to get the cheapest devices to get this done, though not so cheap that they don't work. Any help will be appreciated.

3 answers to this question

sc302    1,683

Usually going into KM's (distance) require unidirectional antennas not omnidirectional (360 degrees).  

You will only get the distance you require by having a unidirectional wireless solution.  You are better off having multiple points that end up connecting to a omnidirectional antenna to get the saturation you require.  

Remember, Wireless is a 2 way street.  Getting the signal there is one feat, getting the signal back is a completely different feat.  If you are broadcasting a signal from a base station and the device cannot effectively transmit the signal back to where the antenna can receive it, you will have an issue with communication.  Basically, if you have a super transmitter on one end and a pc/laptop/table on the other, the pc/laptop/tablet wireless may not be strong enough to establish 2 way communication or may find that the upload is very weak/spotty.

WAQT    218

So what you're saying is that I should have one unidirectional antenna pointing to an ideal middle of my neighborhood and then use an omnidirectional antenna to connect the clients? what equipment should I go for? I am looking at UBNT website and their NanoBeam and Station seem to be good for the job, but which ones to choose?

sc302    1,683

2 unidirectional, then an omnidirectional.

you will probably need a few setups to get the coverage you want.