M.2 NVMe/SATA

Quick question, I have an M.2 slot on my ASUS X99-S board which I tried to install an M.2 SSD on but it isn't detected. Now from what I have been reading there are two types, SATA and NVMe, correct me if I'm wrong. The SSD I tried using unfortunately the label is missing, all I know is it's a 500GB that's been hardly used and I was intending on using it as a boot drive. It has this type of connector (SATA?):

3X82eEW.jpg

The manual says the board specifically supports NVMe SSDs which I believe only has the 1 notch:

StorageReview-Samsung-960-PRO.jpg

Can anyone clarify?

Edited by Broughton

13 minutes ago, Broughton said:

Quick question, I have an M.2 slot on my ASUS X99-S board which I tried to install an M.2 SSD on but it isn't detected. Now from what I have been reading there are two types, SATA and NVMe, correct me if I'm wrong. The SSD I tried using unfortunately the label is missing, all I know is it's a 500GB that's been hardly used and I was intending on using it as a boot drive. It has this type of connector (SATA?):

3X82eEW.jpg

The manual says the board specifically supports NVMe SSDs which I believe only has the 1 notch:

StorageReview-Samsung-960-PRO.jpg

Can anyone clarify?

Yes. Buy that exact Samsung 960 Pro in the picture and you will be very happy.

2 minutes ago, DevTech said:

Yes. Buy that exact Samsung 960 Pro in the picture and you will be very happy.

So I need a single notch NVMe SSD?

I just had a look for that particular Samsung SSD, 4 of those and the M.2 four slot ASUS HyperKit card. That's a bargain.

M+B keyed is probably SATA, check the M.2 port on the motherboard see if it's nVME, SATA or both if it's both that should work, if it's just nVME then you need a different card 

M. Keyed is what most nVME cards are

that card you showed is B+M keyed, so it's probably sata, but you can have nVME B+M keyed using 2x PCIe, m keyed gets you 4x PCIe

Edited by neufuse

4 hours ago, Broughton said:

So I need a single notch NVMe SSD?

I just had a look for that particular Samsung SSD, 4 of those and the M.2 four slot ASUS HyperKit card. That's a bargain.

Your manual says you need NVMe so you need NVMe.

Not much else to say other than the motherboard or card has the option to starve a PCie x 4 card with less PCIe lanes. It still works, you still get great random access (IOPS) but less lanes affects the large file serial MB/s transfer rate.

Four Samsung 960 Pros are great VALUE for what they do but I would be hesitant to use the word "bargain" unless comparing to Enterprise SSD Storage for which the performance of the Samsung 960 Pro is in the same ballpark as the big guys!