Looking for a home desktop under $1000

One of my good friends asked me to see if I could find him a decent tower, for his home that he just purchased with his new wife. I am a little strapped for time, hence why I am posting a topic about it, but I was curious if anyone who has been in the market recently has come across any good deals?

- Wants to keep it under $1000 for the tower, monitors are not included in that price as he has a separate budget

- Unit needs to drive 2 monitors out of the box

- Not intended for gaming

- Wants the unit to last for many years to come, hence spending $1000 now rather than continuous upgrades at a later time

- Wants it pre-built, he is no longer interested in customer rigs and I don't have time to support them

- I am leaning towards an R5/i5 at minimum but would prefer to find him an i7 or R7 so it will last him

- 8GB ram minimum

- Would prefer SSD, however if a deal is found using a traditional hard-drive we could always pair it with optane

- No brand loyalty

- Can be a full-size tower, mid, or even a mini/nuc as long as the specs are met

I took a quick look at Bestbuy.com and Dell.com, but figured I would ask you all here.

Edited by Circaflex

what kind of usage scenarios are we looking at?

you said he won't be gaming on it but will he be doing any Photo/Video editing or anything?

Unless he's doing the above then an i5/R5 should be plenty for his needs; they'll last plenty long. especially since the new gen has upped the number of cores even on the i5/R5 range :)

Also do you prefer to pick up in store or are Amazon/Newegg recommendations good?

16 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

One of my good friends asked me to see if I could find him a decent tower for his home that he just purchased with his new wife. I am a little strapped for time, hence why I am posting a topic about it, but I was curious if anyone who has been in the market recently has come across any good deals?

That first sentence boggles my mind. Maybe I'm just reading it wrong, but...

see if I could find him a decent tower for his home that he just purchased with his new wife.

Sounds like he wants one, but already bought one?

Maybe it's just the wording. But, anyway...

Look at the Zotac ZBoxes. There are several models.

2 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

see if I could find him a decent tower for his home that he just purchased with his new wife.

I read it as the home was just purchased :)

2 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Just bought a new house with his wife and they want a new computer. :)

7 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

what kind of usage scenarios are we looking at?

you said he won't be gaming on it but will he be doing any Photo/Video editing or anything?

Unless he's doing the above then an i5/R5 should be plenty for his needs; they'll last plenty long. especially since the new gen has upped the number of cores even on the i5/R5 range :)

Also do you prefer to pick up in store or are Amazon/Newegg recommendations good?

Good call. No photo or video editing, at least of now possibly down the road when he has children but nothing major. From what he has described this will mainly be for work at home, he is an accountant, and I would assume things like office, email, etc. Nothing to demanding from what I know of him, possibly some netflix and the sort but he will have a dual monitor setup for working at home.

Retail store or online is fine, I didn't even think to check Amazon/the egg (d'oh)

Just now, Circaflex said:

Good call. No photo or video editing, at least of now possibly down the road when he has children but nothing major. From what he has described this will mainly be for work at home, he is an accountant, and I would assume things like office, email, etc. Nothing to demanding from what I know of him, possibly some netflix and the sort but he will have a dual monitor setup for working at home.

ok yeah an i5 or even i3 would be plenty for him then for general Office/Web use. An i7 would just bolster the price unnecessarily in this case.

i'll look over a few towers from NewEgg and post back with a couple recommendations.

ok here's a few choices with a quick search on Newegg

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAE4N65R4446

first one is a Dell tower with a 7th gen i5, 8gb RAM and integrated graphics. this one is ~$720

I also found a couple other good looking towers that have a Dedicated Graphics card included while still being under $1000

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883221318

Asus 7th gen i5, 8gb ram and a GTX 1060. this is ~$899

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883101354

Acer R5 1400, 8gb ram and a GTX 1050 Ti. this is ~$790

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mindovermaster said:

OK, ignore me...

We can't, they removed that option.

Just now, metallithrax said:

We can't, they removed that option.

You mean they are incapable of ignoring me?

1 minute ago, xendrome said:

Dell Optiplex Small Form Factor would be perfect for this...

Or that...

849.99 Ryzen 5 1400, RX570, 8GB RAM, 1TB 5400rpm

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-inspiron-desktop-amd-ryzen-5-1400-8gb-memory-amd-radeon-rx-570-1tb-hard-drive-recon-blue/5901707.p?skuId=5901707

$1049.99 Ryzen 7 1700, RX580, 16GB RAM, 1TB 5400rpm

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-inspiron-desktop-amd-ryzen-7-1700-16gb-memory-amd-radeon-rx-580-1tb-hard-drive-recon-blue/5948598.p?skuId=5948598

The build I linked appears to be customizable. It looks like it has an ssd option and some other processor options.

1 minute ago, satukoro said:

849.99 Ryzen 5 1400, RX570, 8GB RAM, 1TB 5400rpm

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-inspiron-desktop-amd-ryzen-5-1400-8gb-memory-amd-radeon-rx-570-1tb-hard-drive-recon-blue/5901707.p?skuId=5901707

$1049.99 Ryzen 7 1700, RX580, 16GB RAM, 1TB 5400rpm

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-inspiron-desktop-amd-ryzen-7-1700-16gb-memory-amd-radeon-rx-580-1tb-hard-drive-recon-blue/5948598.p?skuId=5948598

The build I linked appears to be customizable. It looks like it has an ssd option and some other processor options.

the 5400rpm drive kills it on both of those... you can't customize builds on Bestbuy.

woot.com usually has some nice deals

edit:

https://computers.woot.com/offers/hp-envy-750-intel-i7-1tb-sshd-desktop-1?ref=w_cnt_lnd_cat_pc_4_1

HP ENVY 750-624 Desktop, Intel Core i7-7700 Quad-Core 3.6GHz, 16GB DDR4, 1TB Solid State Hybrid Drive, 802.11ac, Bluetooth, Win10H

$629.99

Edited by Draconian Guppy
  • Like 2

^ that HP seems weirdly cheap for those specs. i've never heard of woot.com before so that makes me a little suspicious personally...

1 minute ago, Brandon H said:

^ that HP seems weirdly cheap for those specs. i've never heard of woot.com before so that makes me a little suspicious personally...

Woot is fine, they used to do daily deals and be independent.. They are now owned by Amazon.

32 minutes ago, xendrome said:

the 5400rpm drive kills it on both of those... you can't customize builds on Bestbuy.

In all fairness, you can get a 500GB crucial ssd for about $100 on amazon making the first option more viable.

49 minutes ago, xendrome said:

Dell Optiplex Small Form Factor would be perfect for this...

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/desktop-and-all-in-one-pcs/optiplex-3050-small-form-factor/spd/optiplex-3050-desktop/cto01o3050sffus

i5, 16GB ram, 256GB SSD and that will drive 1 HDMI and 1 DisplayPort.

As someone who deploys various Optiplex models throughout a municipality (~160 workstations), these are waayy overpriced for what you get in exchange for solid build quality.

1 minute ago, satukoro said:

As someone who deploys various Optiplex models throughout a municipality (~160 workstations), these are waayy overpriced for what you get in exchange for solid build quality.

was thinking the same thing just looking at the tower specs on the page

16 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

I figure the price is attributed to the machine not having many options for expansion, the hybrid drive, and the integrated graphics.

Other than that, it looks like a good machine for a great price.

Just now, Brandon H said:

was thinking the same thing just looking at the tower specs on the page

I can confirm that they're extremely well built though, so that's something.

19 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

amazon owned! 

Edit: Ohh, missed this: "Condition Factory Reconditioned"

Warranty: 90 Day HP

I guess the low price.

But woot is a reputable business!

I just built a new system and can give you the other one for $600.00

Lian Li Full Aluminum Mid Tower (I found this photo online), mine is exactly the same just with a 120mm Fan grill on the front bottom. Can put photos later when I get home.

Its i7 3700k, 16GB DDR3 2400 RAM, 600GB Raid 0 7200 RPM HD + 2 TB 7200 RPM Storage Drive + Nvidia GTX 570 + Creative blaster Audigy FX.

Let me know if interested.

11-112-025-35[1].jpg

29 minutes ago, Draconian Guppy said:

amazon owned! 

Ah that's probably why it's a bit cheaper. Seems like a pretty good deal then; I'd just be sure to change out the thermal paste on the CPU knowing HPs reputation on under-applying it on their towers

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Draconian Guppy said:

amazon owned! 

Warranty: 90 Day HP

I guess the low price.

But woot is a reputable business!

I bought from them a LOT. I bought several refurb items off them, work till this day.

Have a lot of monkeys, too... :D