Issue with cabling?

Hi guys,

I just "built" my first pc, but when I start up the computer the gpu starts and begins to spin. The motherboard lights up, but no fans nor the cooler turns on.

I am assuming that I did the cabeling wrong but I am not quite sure how to go about fixing this.

My parts

CPU: i7 8700k coffee lake

Mobo: Asus Z370-E

GPU: Evga 1080 Ti Sc

Cooler: Thermaltake Floe AIO Riing RGB 360 TT

PSU: EVGA Suoernova 750 G2

Any help is appreciated as I haven't really built a pc before so I must of just missed some stuff

Do you have a PC speaker hooked up to the internal header...is it beeping at you? If so, what are the beeps? Are you getting any video out (for example can you get into the BIOS)?

Is the system fine other than the fans? Are the fans plugged into the appropriate headers?  Are cooling features set so fans don't spin up until x temp? Etc....

8 minutes ago, Jim K said:

Do you have a PC speaker hooked up to the internal header...is beeping at you? If so, what are the beeps? Are you getting any video out (for example can you get into the BIOS)?

Is the system fine other than the fans? Are the fans plugged into the appropriate headers?  Are cooling features set so fans don't spin up until x temp? Etc....

I was doing this last night and was very late so I didn't plug into the monitor but, from what I saw, the graphics card would start working, fans spinning, lights on the mobo come on and but nothing from the cooler or fans, and then the graphics card would stop working, and then a couple of seconds later start working again. It looked like it was retrying to start if you know what I mean.

I don't have a speaker hooked up. 

Sooooo... You don't know if the computer works because you don't have a monitor hooked up? Could be the fans have spun down because it hasn't reached x temp (based on whatever cooling profile is active).  Computer doesn't power off right ... the fans are just turning off? Hook a monitor up and see what you got. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jim K said:

Sooooo... You don't know if the computer works because you don't have a monitor hooked up? Could be the fans have spun down because it hasn't reached x temp (based on whatever cooling profile is active).  Computer doesn't power off right ... the fans are just turning off? Hook a monitor up and see what you got. 

I will do that once I get back,

However, the fans don't spin at all. The cooler I got had a controller and I feel like I messed that up somehow. None of the leds on the fans or the cooler turn on either. As for the gpu which keeps reseting I am unsure. I took a video last night which I will attatch for you to get a better idea what my issue is.

Hmmm, I'm not familiar with that AIO cooler. Is the lighting controlled via software? You have it plugged into the AIO pump header... at least it appears so (looks like it)...refer to page 1-15 of the manual? You stopped the video before all the POST State LEDs were done .... does one of them stay lit (page 1-11 of manual)?

BOOT (YELLOW GREEN)
CPU (RED)
VGA (WHITE)
DRAM (YELLOW)

I would still hook a monitor up. Though the pump ring not lighting up is worrisome (does it at least make a noise) 

1 hour ago, Jim K said:

Hmmm, I'm not familiar with that AIO cooler. Is the lighting controlled via software? You have it plugged into the AIO pump header... at least it appears so (looks like it)...refer to page 1-15 of the manual? You stopped the video before all the POST State LEDs were done .... does one of them stay lit (page 1-11 of manual)?

BOOT (YELLOW GREEN)
CPU (RED)
VGA (WHITE)
DRAM (YELLOW)

I would still hook a monitor up. Though the pump ring not lighting up is worrisome (does it at least make a noise) 

So I got the fans and the cooler working, but the issue of the computer "restarting" is still there

I plugged it into a monitor and it just said no signal.

I also dont have a hard drive atm could that be a cause?

No, BIOS would just hang, not turn off.

As Jim said, install a speaker on to your board and tell us what beeps you are getting.

Is it rebooting on the DRAM status led? Hard to tell from the video. Memory seated properly? A beeping speaker would help. :)

Just now, Jim K said:

Is it rebooting on the DRAM status led? Hard to tell from the video. Memory seated properly? A beeping speaker would help. :)

I don't know how to install a beeping speaker i will look it up now. It is on the dram light. I had my ram in dlots 2 & 4 then switched it to 1&3 but still same issue

what board model is it?

hardly any mobos have PC bios speakers these days, thats what the diagnostics LEDS are for.

its one of the things below.

1) the cooler heatsink screws are too tightly screwed down.

2) the ram setting is incompatible with the SPD rating of the ram. (dual channel is always 2 & 4 or 1 & 3 for a pair)

3) you have a short under the motherboard, im wagering a standoff in the wrong place.

4) your 1080ti is not getting enough power from its pair of PCI-e 6+8s, make sure its using PCI-e 1 and 2 from the EVGA supply, not all the connectors supply the same amperes on the 12v rail.

Best advice is open users manual (i know crazy right!) and check the POST sequence and the LED meanings, then whatever is left illuminated when it fails POST is your point of failure, thats the point of the diagnostic LEDs :) 

• Like 2

You did hook up the cpu power block didn't you? There should be 2 basic power cables going to the motherboard, the 24pin (long block) and a cpu block which will be either 4pin or 8pin. Check that's inserted correctly.

Sounds to me like the CPU isn't getting power properly so the motherboard just won't post properly.

13-119-033-V01.jpg

CPU power block is the one on the top left. 24 pin is the one on the top(ish) right. Each cable will only insert one way due to the shape of the holes and the retainer clip should be on the same side on the cable and port.

Make sure everything else, like memory, graphics card are inserted properly, most of those connections should click into place but you would usually have an audio alert from the motherboard if something isn't inserted properly or configured incorrectly.

I believe that I narrowed down the problem.

The pc runs without restarting when there is no ram stick inserted in the pc.

But when I have them in, it restart as shown in the video.

Any ideas?

5 minutes ago, na77 said:

I believe that I narrowed down the problem.

The pc runs without restarting when there is no ram stick inserted in the pc.

But when I have them in, it restart as shown in the video.

Any ideas?

can you get it to work with 1 stick? try both 1 at a time

is sounding like it could be a bad ram stick to me from a few posts up now

4 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

can you get it to work with 1 stick? try both 1 at a time

is sounding like it could be a bad ram stick to me from a few posts up now

Both sticks individually result in the same thing i am going to try the ram sticks from my old pc

10 minutes ago, na77 said:

Well unfortunately my old ram sticks dont fit into the slots...

Try the other way around...we think that the issue are the RAM sticks...do you have a friend who has a working PC you can try your RAM sticks in?

If you see a similar issue, you know it's the RAM sticks.

16 minutes ago, na77 said:

Both sticks individually result in the same thing i am going to try the ram sticks from my old pc

Try in different slots. Rarely, but not uncommon, a slot on board can be bad.

• dipsylalapo changed the title to Issue with cabling?

Page 1-17 of your manual. speaker location...

Edit: just thought of this, did you try resetting BIOS? Has that little jumper device that clears BIOS.

1 hour ago, na77 said:

Did this already same result :/

then the sticks are either bad or not on the HCVL are the specific sticks you bought listed as supported vendor in the motherboard manual? 

2 minutes ago, xendrome said:

yep if it aint on that list of compatible ram sticks, your S.O.L 

Thanks Xeno, you beat me to linking to it, im leaning to cheap generic ram as OP hasnt listed a brand.

I wager incompatible RAM or a bad stick if it is on that list.

40 minutes ago, Mando said:

yep if it aint on that list of compatible ram sticks, your S.O.L 

Thanks Xeno, you beat me to linking to it, im leaning to cheap generic ram as OP hasnt listed a brand.

I wager incompatible RAM or a bad stick if it is on that list.

Its listed on there its the G Skill Ripjaw V series F4-320016D-32GVK