Very strange stuff happening to my pc

im wagering a flakey PSU not supplying enough amps on the 12v rail, due to old age.

*update* corsair PSU, meh garbage imo dont rate them at all.

One other thing worth checking (especially if running Win 10), (though I appreciate it might not be easy if the PC is almost locked up hard), is if the notorious "Compattelrunner.exe" is running. This is a Microsoft Telemetry tool that fires up in Task Scheduler once daily to appraise installed apps for compatibility. It also seems to often fire up if WIndows 10 detects a program has been newly installed, uninstalled or updated.

In spite of being configured to run at low priority etc. the program is notorious for bringing PC's to their knees. You can partly block it by tinkering with Task Scheduler. It's been a major PITA for me  - and could be your issue too, it tends to cause CPUs and fans to run hard etc and can make the PC pretty unresponsive / laggy.

Also in task manager, check if the Interrupts "task" is high (anything more than 1-2% max is VERY suspicious) - this can indicate malfunctioning hardware or a ropey driver, and will likewise cause latency / responsiveness issues.

13 hours ago, Mando said:

im wagering a flakey PSU not supplying enough amps on the 12v rail, due to old age.

*update* corsair PSU, meh garbage imo dont rate them at all.

Very few of the popular PSU brands actually design or make any of the power supplies that they sell. They source from a variety of Chinese suppliers with varying quality levels that map onto the "branding range" for major suppliers like Corsair and EVGA.

Consequently it is hard to make a blanket statement about any brand since most of them will sell low end models, mid-range, and premium. This trend applies to most products these days but now more than ever, "the devil is in the details" of which actual hardware is being sourced into the "brand"

Probably the very best power supplies are made by SuperFlower which is a common supplier to the top end premium models of many well known brands. So selecting a Corsair or EVGA etc with a "SuperFlower INSIDE" pretty much guarantees a great PSU.

One notable exception to the trend is Seasonic (Japan) which designs and builds only their own models, some of the very best power supplies available.

1 hour ago, killer0pro said:

Here is vid. 

Thanks for the video.

That's a very light slap to the case. Now it is possible you have more than one problem going on at the same time which leads to conflicting and strange symptoms but no matter what, this physical instability needs to be fixed.

It literally gives a new meaning to "unstable" computer!

So, the kinetic energy of you hand is translating into a movement of the computer case which in turn is moving things inside. That leads to two possible results:

1. Something is not connected tightly and is being momentarily interrupted by The Slap.

2. Something is making a momentary electrical connection via bare wires or connection between circuit boards and metal surfaces or metal objects such as screws falling inside a case.

Both options require:

1. opening the case and making a detailed visual inspection.

2. disassembly of the computer and temporary reassembly onto a piece of cardboard or wood to isolate the exact cause.

Re visual inspection, there are three hard to spot items:

1. wires inside a cable of wires (such as a PC power cord) can become intermittent without being visible (I have a cat that likes to bite USB cables so that issue keeps biting me)

2. problems with the CPU in its socket can be hard to spot without the irritating task of removing heatsink and CPU.

3. many people forget to open up and inspect the PC Power supply and look for shorts, burnt components, Bulging Capacitors etc. (I once had a small metal screw drop through the fan of a PSU once which killed it)

Tried to run stress tests but whats the point, pc just offs after 2-3min :/ Installed win update to.

Edited by killer0pro

2 hours ago, killer0pro said:

Tried to run stress tests but whats the point, pc just offs after 2-3min :/ Installed win update to.

Umm, lately, he never said to run stress tests.

But, the stress tests help us, to verify WHAT is actually flaky.

I might fixed the problem one of 2, 4 pin cables to the gpu was bit loose, pushed it till it made click. Slapping my pc now wont make it shut down. But that black screen with white text still goes on.

5 hours ago, killer0pro said:

I might fixed the problem one of 2, 4 pin cables to the gpu was bit loose, pushed it till it made click. Slapping my pc now wont make it shut down. But that black screen with white text still goes on.

- You should undertake the boring task of making sure all other connections are good

- Is the black screen  from slapping the PC or some other condition? if slapping there is still another physical problem

- can you run the stress programs now?

To be clear, although it is always good to improve you software config and Windows O/S integrity, that effort is NOT a priority when you have basic hardware issues.

PRIORITY OF PROBLEM SOLVING:

1. basic physical integrity of your computer such as loose connections and electrical shorts.

2. hardware health at 100% with ZERO defective components, Bad Caps in the PSU etc.

3. Windows problems

4. Game and Application problems

3 hours ago, DevTech said:

- You should undertake the boring task of making sure all other connections are good

- Is the black screen  from slapping the PC or some other condition? if slapping there is still another physical problem

- can you run the stress programs now?

To be clear, although it is always good to improve you software config and Windows O/S integrity, that effort is NOT a priority when you have basic hardware issues.

PRIORITY OF PROBLEM SOLVING:

1. basic physical integrity of your computer such as loose connections and electrical shorts.

2. hardware health at 100% with ZERO defective components, Bad Caps in the PSU etc.

3. Windows problems

4. Game and Application problems

No, that black screen happens after i tried to remove old hdd. Even if i set it all back and looked cables, all fine. Can run tests now.

Edited by killer0pro