Car question

9 hours ago, NJL said:

Seems to me that the thing the driver swerved to avoid, was the thing that he impacted with - the thing that was in the wrong place.

Still doesn't take away from the fact that he crossed a line, which is dumb.

2 minutes ago, Bruinator said:

Agree to disagree.  thx

Disagree with what?  The law (straight from Mass)?  Common sense?

(31) Collision at a "T" Intersection. The Operator, coming from a roadway that terminates onto a throughway, thereafter collides with another vehicle traveling on that intersecting throughway.

All your insurance is going to see is #31 of the Standards of Fault (and probably #08, #11, #15 and #20).  Unless you have proof that the other driver was reckless (i.e. police report) ... you are at fault, period. 

17 hours ago, Bruinator said:

there was room on the right hand side for him to go as well. Before the accident happened, there were cars stopping behind him. He was the only one that didnt. There was a witness in in my car who saw this happen as well.

1 hour ago, Bruinator said:

Its funny you mention that because the speed limit in my town is 25 mph. It is posted everywhere. He was going a minimum of 40 to 45 MPH. He had at minimum 3 to 4 car lengths to stop. Other cars behind him were already stopping or did stop. He tried to speed up to go around me over a double yellow line which in Mass, is a violation of the law. The cop said it is either his fault because of that or we both will. Appreciate your opinion.  Thx

So, twice you have said that cars behind him were slowing down or stopping.  This to me says that you shouldn't be pulling out of the junction at that time because you are making these people slow down/stop their cars.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Bruinator said:

And speeding at 20 mhp over the limit.

That's not something that can be proved in this instance though.

I've got no doubt you're at fault here, and probably shouldn't have pulled out with limited space.  But I agree with you, him reacting in the way he did made a dangerous situation inherently more dangerous.  but anyway, insurance will sort it.

22 minutes ago, metallithrax said:

So, twice you have said that cars behind him were slowing down or stopping.  This to me says that you shouldn't be pulling out of the junction at that time because you are making these people slow down/stop their cars.

ok, you all stated your opinion and i have stated mine. We can leave it at that and let ins handle it.

22 hours ago, Bruinator said:

If he was paying attention he would have stopped as he had ample  time, instead he sped up.  thx :)

if he needed to stop, then you are already at fault as he had the right of way and you cut him off. You will most definitely be found at fault. Things happen, own it and move on. 

1 minute ago, d4diesel said:

if he needed to stop, then you are already at fault as he had the right of way and you cut him off. You will most definitely be found at fault. Things happen, own it and move on. 

Ok thx. This is my last comment on the situation. Mods feel free to close thread.  thx

• Jim K locked this topic