Router for a place saturated with other Wi-Fi networks

I'm looking for a wireless router with a stable,  highly reliable connection in a place heavily saturated with other Wi-Fi networks and Bluetooth connections. One client will be connected through 2,4 GHz 802.11g connection and another one through LAN, while the data rate will be low (max 200 KB/s). There has to be no packet loss and uptime has to be 100 %. I have already tested Linksys WRT54GL in such environment and it crashed within few minutes with occasional packet loss beforehand. On the other hand, Cisco Meraki MX64W worked without a single problem.

Cisco is out of my budget, I am looking more towards ~200 $. Currently I aim for Asus RT-AC68U, Asus RT-AC87U, Linksys WRT3200ACM and Netgear AC1900 (R7000), but I don't really know what is the crucial thing to look for. Which router would you recommend? Thanks for any suggestions.

Change the client to 5 Ghz and eliminate most of the interference.

ZERO packet loss implies an industrial application. Consider a very directional antenna at both ends.

10 hours ago, krneki said:

I'm looking for a wireless router with a stable,  highly reliable connection in a place heavily saturated with other Wi-Fi networks and Bluetooth connections. One client will be connected through 2,4 GHz 802.11g connection and another one through LAN, while the data rate will be low (max 200 KB/s). There has to be no packet loss and uptime has to be 100 %. I have already tested Linksys WRT54GL in such environment and it crashed within few minutes with occasional packet loss beforehand. On the other hand, Cisco Meraki MX64W worked without a single problem.

Cisco is out of my budget, I am looking more towards ~200 $. Currently I aim for Asus RT-AC68U, Asus RT-AC87U, Linksys WRT3200ACM and Netgear AC1900 (R7000), but I don't really know what is the crucial thing to look for. Which router would you recommend? Thanks for any suggestions.

None of those are bad choices at all - they all fall in the "prosumer" category (which also holds Netgear's WNDR series).  The biggest issue you will face are other routers using the same channels.  One feature that practically ALL routers have (and this is especially true of the prosumer routers) is the ability to create a local frequency map simply BECAUSE of the "nearby router" problem; it's not a new feature - it goes all the way back to the Linksys WRT54GS - the first wireless router I ever bought - and it's been in every wireless router I have ever owned, used, etc.  An outgrowth of this are Android and iOS applets that let you use a phone or other device to build the map.  The ASUS and Netgear routers both include this feature at no extra cost - as do most prosumer routers these days; my own WNDR3700v4 gained the feature when Netgear added it to all WNDR routers a few years back (it did NOT have the feature when it shipped).

The "nearby router" problem - this is not a new problem; what it is, though, is a more PREVALENT problem; if anything, mesh networks make it worse!  Think - a mesh network is a network of multiple routers.  If you are in even a small subdivision with houses greater than a mere one thousand square meters living space, the question is not WILL you run into a mesh network - but how many will you encounter.

5 GHz N - It's not will you need it, but where.  Phones and tablets ALONE are big users of 5 GHz N; however, catching up fast are streaming devices from small to large; streaming support was the single greatest feature-add in new HDTVs merely last year - even more than 4K support - and given the growth in the 4K space, just upgrades to existing TVs will grow that. (We purchased two HDTVs last holiday shopping season; while neither supported 4K, both included streaming support - and one replaced a TV that lacked it.  Plan for those upgrades - and in the case of streaming, that means your network - specifically, your router.)

17 hours ago, krneki said:

There has to be no packet loss and uptime has to be 100 %

Not possible with wireless.. There is going to be packet loss plain and simple. Especially in a noisy environment.  A few packets loss here or there is not a problem.. They get lost all the time.. Its when it get to be a high percentage is when there is a problem.

If you need 100% up and no loss - use a wire!!!

The unifi AP suggest are fine..  But they are not routers, they are just AP so you would also need a router.. Which you could prob use your wrt54G ;)

But really G... What are you doing that would only be using G?  Come on?  This isn't 2008, its 2018..

If you are going with a set up including the Unifi AP (which is great BTW), then do get yourself a decent firewall/router - not the consumer crap you have listed.

There are hardware solutions or open source software running on custom or specific hardware.  I am a big fan of pfSense, personally and have one of their appliances - not as expensive as you would imagine.

While I would 2nd a pfsense appliance, have a sg4860 myself which is fantastic.  But it is a bit over his budget ;)

BUT!!!!  What would be in budget both from router and AP from unifi would be say the edge router lite.  And then one of their AC ap, be it lite, lr or even pro puts him a few bucks over his $200 budget.

I am curious what would be running G though... Makes no sense other than something that is 10 years old..

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BudMan said:

I am curious what would be running G though... Makes no sense other than something that is 10 years old..

I'm more curious about what needs to have ZERO packet loss. (I suspect it is just hyperbole born from his frustration with WiFi signal interference)

An original Nintendo DSi is one example of a Wireless-G device that is still very likely to be alive and actually used by people. I have an old WRT54 dedicated to Wireless-G far removed from all other Wireless Transmitters. Every other access point has Wireless-G disabled.

DSI - yeah they came out in 2009.. So sure G ok.. Who would still be using those?  Come on why would you not be on a switch ;)

I serious doubt he would be worried about packet loss and such low bandwidth if that was the case?  It got to be some sort of work/customer thing..  But then that should throw the $200 budget out the freaking window, etc.  So yeah very curious to what is the bottom line here.

On 07/04/2018 at 2:03 PM, BudMan said:

While I would 2nd a pfsense appliance, have a sg4860 myself which is fantastic.  But it is a bit over his budget ;)

BUT!!!!  What would be in budget both from router and AP from unifi would be say the edge router lite.  And then one of their AC ap, be it lite, lr or even pro puts him a few bucks over his $200 budget.

I did say hardware solutions - which I meant not pfSense, but other "better than average consumer"-grade solutions like Unifi

If looking for unifi ;) I have a USG from them I used for a very short time until my sg4860 was back in stock and got shipped.  While its a slick little box for the price - and it handled my 500/50 connection without any issues.. I wouldn't put in even the same league as pfsense.  AAA ball at best compared to Pro ;)

I would willing to let the USG go to a good neowin home for a discount, just pay for the shipping..  Better than it just sitting on my self collecting dust, eheheeh

Don't have experience to possibly comment.  But even their bottom of the range stuff will be better than top of line consumer grade stuff.

Also Microtik, Draytek and various other brands to look at.

On 4/7/2018 at 9:03 PM, BudMan said:

DSI - yeah they came out in 2009.. So sure G ok.. Who would still be using those?  Come on why would you not be on a switch ;)

I serious doubt he would be worried about packet loss and such low bandwidth if that was the case?  It got to be some sort of work/customer thing..  But then that should throw the $200 budget out the freaking window, etc.  So yeah very curious to what is the bottom line here.

My new Trane furnace's thermostat uses 802.11G... and that is the only spec it supports, I don't know what they were thinking... the thermostat was released 2 years ago to the market, they should of at least supported N... but nope... must of been a few cents cheaper to get an older B/G chip and only allow G or something

Send it back ;)  You sure its just not 2.4 N without 5ghz support?

There is a big difference between only supporting N on 2.4 and G which also runs on 2.4..

What is the exact thermostat being used?  Model number?  I use a nest myself. While the 1st and 2nd gens only supported 2.4.. But 3rd and E support both 2.4 and 5.

22 hours ago, BudMan said:

I would willing to let the USG go to a good neowin home for a discount, just pay for the shipping..  Better than it just sitting on my self collecting dust, eheheeh

@BudMan, I'd gladly take the offer if it still on the table. ;)

Sure... I paid $120 for it with tax and all..

usg.thumb.png.7acab2fe50c44c1cdfaa6bcb52c35c8d.png

But if your in Sweden?  The shipping going to be crazy isn't it??  Over on parcel monkey looks like about 30$ for 2 lbs..

I let it go for $80.. Pay the shipping so your looking at like 110... Call it $120 cover the packing materials and me dropping it off, etc.... Is that cheaper then you can get it there?  PM me exact address and work exact shipping and how long it will take.  And best way to pay..  Paypal would work or could take crypto ;) if your into that.

@BudMan, I just checked and It will 20$ more if I buy a new one. I thought you're giving it away and just want the shipping... :shifty:

Not going to give it a way for FREE.. Dude it was a $120.. Its got some value.. It was used for like 1 month tops.. The freaking second my sg4860 showed up it was put on the shelf.. It was PAINFUL using the thing other than it it was quick and handled 500mbps without issue.. But the feature set is just uggghhhh.. But it is a great box for the price point.

I would let you have it free for shipping if I was just going to throw it in the garbage or something ;)  But it is atleast failover plan currently if say my router ###### the bed, etc.

If the shipping was normal like you were here in the states then my $80 price point is pretty deep discount if you ask me..

On 4/9/2018 at 3:10 PM, BudMan said:

Send it back ;)  You sure its just not 2.4 N without 5ghz support?

There is a big difference between only supporting N on 2.4 and G which also runs on 2.4..

What is the exact thermostat being used?  Model number?  I use a nest myself. While the 1st and 2nd gens only supported 2.4.. But 3rd and E support both 2.4 and 5.

Nope, the chipset in it is  802.11 B/G only... it's a Trane TCONT950 

Now they DO have a newer model revision that just came available at the start of 2018 that FINALLY has B/G/N... But they charge way to much money for these darn things to just replace it to get N support. I cant do nest with what I use it for... it's a communicating 2 wire system that controls the AC, Furnace, Humidifier and Air cleaner and has outdoor temp all from the same system via the two wire communication... go to something like nest and I get stuck with 24v relay and lose fully modulating gas / air speed. ah the joys of propitiatory data systems... only Trane and American Standard use this specific data control set. Great furnance and air conditioner, just the controls are very locked in to make it work at the most efficient settings.

Oh and they also run a very old and out of date version of BSD.... just you know... not a security hole or anything..... ugh (they don't update it!)