Installing Windows 7... what's the fastest route to a fully updated system?

KaoDome

So here's some insight, I have to install Windows 7 in an old machine since that's what my friend prefers. Given the myriad of updates there are for that OS right now I was wondering what would be the quickest route to a fully updated system, in essence, installing the less updates possible.

So far, starting from the refreshed image of SP1 I've done the following:

- KB3004394: For the updated root certificates.

- KB3020369: April 2015 Servicing Stack updated (+ the current version of the Windows Update agent).

- KB2729094, KB2731771, KB2533623, KB2670838, KB2786081, KB2834140, KB2639308, KB2888049 & KB2882822: Pre-requisites for IE 11.

- IE 11.

- KB2685811 & KB2685813: For the 1.11 model drivers, not that it would matter for this system I think.

- KB3125574: The convenience roll-up, brings things up to April 2016.

- .NET 4.7.1.

After that Windows Update is still showing my some 41 updates, some of which I think supersede others? (look at the top of the list of the capture I attached); so I'm thinking maybe installing one of those roll-ups would do the trick.

I remember reading about Windows 7 going the way of cumulative updates of some sort and since there are some sysadmins among the members (although hopefully not making W7 large scale deployments already) I was wondering if there was a way of cutting the list down to less updates, or a best practices approach so to speak. There may already be some redundancy on what I did for now, but the default state was horrendous (150+ updates) and it's a 5400k RPM hard drive...

Anyway, thanks for the read, any input is well received and appreciated. I'll edit the post tomorrow (6:42am here :S) with download links over those KBs in case somebody comes across this post and finds it useful.

Things as of now.png

JaredFrost

Generally I just do the latest roll-up pack for Windows 7, in this case: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4088881 and let Windows update handle the rest. unless you're reinstalling Windows 7 several times a week, I don't really see much of a point in wasting too much time on something that will sort itself out by the next day.

Hopefully that's helpful.

Cheers,

• Like 4
ThaCrip

Basically I agree with JaredFrost as it's not really worth putting too much thought into things

p.s. but unless Windows 10 is not supported by that computers hardware etc, there is really no reason not to use it at this point given Win7 will no longer be supported past Jan 2020 which is less than 2 years away. so if that person is planning on using that computer with Windows much beyond Jan 2020, it would be wise to install Windows 10 to it if possible. so if Windows 10 likes that persons hardware, it makes no sense not to use Windows 10 overall especially if he's planning on using that for at least a few years or more. this whole anti-Win10 mindset makes no sense as it's not like Windows 8 upon release where the interface was a shot stopper as if you generally like the way Windows 7 functions, which pretty much everyone does, then Windows 10 is similar enough to that but just better in it's overall function. but even if we assume Windows 10 is out of the question and he still insists on Windows 7.... depending on what he does on that computer, something like Mint Linux would be good alternative if he's just mainly using it for a basic internet machine (since you mentioned it was a old machine). just some thoughts ;)

• Like 1
jimmy_jazz

I recently did a couple of Windows 7 installs recently and the delay in offering the updates seems to have gone and they now show up almost straight away after install. My strategy was to deselect all of the 250 updates and then select about 20-25 at a time. It will still take a few hours but it will be quicker than letting it try and install the 250 updates in one go, fail and roll back.

KaoDome

Thanks for the replies everyone!

10 hours ago, JaredFrost said:

Generally I just do the latest roll-up pack for Windows 7, in this case: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4088881 and let Windows update handle the rest.

I ended up doing that more or less, but with the current stable roll-up instead, KB4088875. Plus the malicious removal tool one, those two roll-ups for .NET (which doesn't seem to supersede each other) and the 2 marked 2018-03.

The rest was for WU which were still some 30 updates. I wonder how come the convenience update or any of those roll-ups don't include them, I mean, most were from 2014-2015 but there was at least one from 2012. And that's plain Windows, no Office or other programs that update through WU as well... Sometimes I wish I were in meetings regarding all this at Microsoft, if there are any.

9 hours ago, ThaCrip said:

p.s. but unless Windows 10 is not supported by that computers hardware etc, there is really no reason not to use it at this point given Win7 will no longer be supported past Jan 2020 which is less than 2 years away. so if that person is planning on using that computer with Windows much beyond Jan 2020, it would be wise to install Windows 10 to it if possible. so if Windows 10 likes that persons hardware, it makes no sense not to use Windows 10 overall especially if he's planning on using that for at least a few years or more. this whole anti-Win10 mindset makes no sense as it's not like Windows 8 upon release where the interface was a shot stopper as if you generally like the way Windows 7 functions, which pretty much everyone does, then Windows 10 is similar enough to that but just better in it's overall function. but even if we assume Windows 10 is out of the question and he still insists on Windows 7.... depending on what he does on that computer, something like Mint Linux would be good alternative if he's just mainly using it for a basic internet machine (since you mentioned it was a old machine). just some thoughts ;)

I feel you, going through this I realized how used I am to Win+X... But Windows 7 it is, at least for now. I think the machine should be able to handle Windows 10 without much problem, maybe some lag here and there with UWP or hardware accelerated stuff but otherwise it should be fine. I think an LTSB (LTSC now) version would make him happy but those licenses are for enterprises and not for personal consumption, there's no real way for me to get one.

9 hours ago, jimmy_jazz said:

I recently did a couple of Windows 7 installs recently and the delay in offering the updates seems to have gone and they now show up almost straight away after install. My strategy was to deselect all of the 250 updates and then select about 20-25 at a time. It will still take a few hours but it will be quicker than letting it try and install the 250 updates in one go, fail and roll back.

It's nuts, I remember leaving it all to Windows Update back in the day and not only some updates failed but it ended up stating that some weren't necessary after all. My experience this time has been quite positive, I don't know if it is because of how I approached it or because Window Update on Windows 7 got better at its job. And thank god for how Windows 10 handles things now, specially since this big update about to be released with UUP and all.

Anyway... I don't know if it was the quickest way but thanks for all the help, it's up and running fully updated and imaged. If anything bad were to happen he has a base he can come back to in a couple of minutes instead of hours ;).

• Like 1
Max Norris

I rarely do 7 installs anymore, but I typically went with the Simplix Update Pack route myself.  Frequently updated and the updates that people typically skip and hide aren't included.   Fairly painless and haven't personally ever run into any issues, system still updated just fine after the fact.

+warwagon
techbeck

I work mostly with systems with SSDs these days so I typically just get lazy and let Windows Update take care of things.  250 or so updates do not take long to DL and to install and I normally have a few things I am working on anyway.  Or, I tend to use a slip steamed install.  I update it every so often.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Sszecret
      Microsoft Weekly: Halo 4 finally on PC, more Fluent icons, and optional updates
      by Florin Bodnarescu

The last week brought Halo 4 for the first time to PC players the world over, a Fluent Design upgrade for Edge icons showed up – as well as multiple new features -, plus some security fixes for a range of Windows 10 versions. You can find info about that, as well as much more below, in your Microsoft digest for the week of November 15 - 21.

Halo 4 finally on PC

After much anticipation, the final title in the Master Chief Collection, aka Halo 4, has finally arrived on PC. Bringing cross-play support and a bunch of new enhancements, the game is now live on Steam, the Microsoft Store and Xbox Game Pass for PC. If you’re curious as to what exactly the title has to offer, do take a peek at the review that’s currently up, in which our very own Pulasthi Ariyasinghe calls the FPS a “satisfying conclusion to the Master Chief Collection”.

Continuing with the first-party news, Sea of Thieves has received its November update, complete with a range of bug fixes, upgrades to Treasure Vault voyages, performance improvements, and much, much more. The update comes in at 6GB on Windows 10, Xbox One X, and Xbox Series X, with the One S and Series S owners receiving a slightly smaller 5GB update. Steam owners are the luckiest with a measly 3.6GB required to download.

And since we mentioned it, before we get back to the game news, it’s worth interjecting with the fact that new Xbox Series S orders may arrive after the holidays. This is because, unsurprisingly, the Series S is out of stock.

Returning to first-party games, Minecraft has just gotten a new Star Wars-themed DLC, and if that’s not quite what you want to be playing this week, there’s always a bunch of Deals with Gold to browse, including ones for Code Vein, Dark Souls, Ace Combat 7, and much more.

Ending this section is a bit of gameplay from both the Xbox One X and Series X for CD Projekt RED’s upcoming open-world RPG, Cyberpunk 2077. Switching between the two consoles frequently, the video highlights interiors, exteriors, combat, and other NPC interactions.

More Fluent icons

Regardless of your opinion of the new Edge, one major change in comparison to the Legacy version is that the browser gets updated more frequently than before.

As such, everybody in the Dev and Canary channels can now start using the text comments in PDFs feature. If you haven’t gotten it yet, the Dev build is 88.0.702, in case you want to try out this capability.

There are also new features added to Edge this month, like an improved copy-paste experience, better integration with Bing rewards, new shopping features, and much more.

Staying on the subject of improvements, now when you open history, it will show a pop-up window which allows you to more easily navigate through your previously opened links. Furthermore, you’re now able to pin a history icon next to the address bar for easy access.

Microsoft was also eager to share the fact that Edge WebView2 is now available for .NET. This, for folks not aware, is the Chromium Edge equivalent of Project Spartan’s (old Edge) EdgeHTML-based WebView. Additionally, the Redmond firm also aims to stop Chromium browsers from launching with elevated privileges.

Finally, for those of you who wish the company would just stop for a second and update everything to its (for now) unified Fluent Design system, there’s good news. Chromium Edge is going to be getting a new set icons to bring the entire experience more in line with the company’s design aesthetic du jour. The first phase is currently being rolled out.

Optional updates

If you’ve been running Windows 10 for a while, you’ll be aware that Microsoft also releases optional updates from time to time, beyond its Patch Tuesday patches.

If you’re on 1809, or the October 2018 Update, you’ll get KB4594442, which bumps up the build number to 17763.1579 and addresses a security bug with Kerberos authentication and ticket renewal. If you’re running the Anniversary Update (1607), that same fix will come through for you as KB4594441, bumping the build number up to 14393.4048, while folks on the May 2019 Update (1903) and November 2019 Update (1909) will be getting KB4594443, with builds 18362.1199 and 18363.1199, respectively.

Finally, those on either the May 2020 Update (2004) or October 2020 Update (20H2) will receive KB4594440, with builds 19041.631 and 19042.631.

Microsoft was busy releasing even more builds however, so here’s what else you need to be on the lookout for:

May 2019 Update / November 2019 Update (1903/1909): KB4586819, builds 18362.1237 / 18363.1237 – fixes a bug that causes Edge to open in the background when the device is in tablet mode, as well as bugs with USB 3.0 hubs, Narrator, and WMR headsets running in lower resolution modes. October 2018 Update (1809) Enterprise, Education: KB4586839, build 17763.1613 – fixes the same bugs for the version above, as well as the issue which may cause the HDD to fill up in certain error situations. The known issues for all updates above remain the same ones outlined in the Patch Tuesday wave of updates.

In other news, Microsoft will not release any optional Windows 10 cumulative updates in December. This applies to preview updates (so basically A, C, and D wave updates, rather the B wave ones which come with Patch Tuesday every month). This is due to “minimal operations during the holidays and the upcoming Western new year”.

Over in the Insider Dev channel, the company unleashed build 20262 with a number of fixes, as well as 20262.1010, the of which was simply a Cumulative Update to test out the servicing pipeline.

Dev channel
      Polls in Teams meetings have now started rolling out. New Power Apps and Dataverse are now generally available for Teams. Photoshop Beta is now available for ARM-based Windows 10 and macOS devices. WinUI 3 Preview 3 is now out, featuring ARM64 support. Dynamics 365 Project Operations has been announced, aimed at service-based businesses in India. Microsoft 365 is now available from datacenters in Brazil. The November updates for Microsoft 365 include new Teams apps, among other features. Teams personal features are now rolling out on desktop and the web. The Surface Studio 2 has gotten new firmware updates to fix audio performance and stability, with the Go 2 and Book 3 now available for purchase in India. Logging off
      We cap things off with a new security chip that Microsoft intends to introduce for Windows-based devices.

In what the firm will be dubbing Pluton going forward, Microsoft has announced essentially the Trusted Platform Module (TPM) chip equivalent, but integrated on the SoC.

Seen in other solutions like the Xbox consoles or Azure Sphere, this is basically an intersection of software and hardware to provide the benefits of TPM chips in terms of security, but (currently) none of the drawbacks. Specifically, since TPM is separate from the CPU, perpetrators are able to target the channel between the CPU and TPM chip with their attacks.

Working with AMD, Intel, and Qualcomm on the solution – with AMD being the first to use it -, Microsoft says that the Pluton chip will work with BitLocker and System Guard, and that information can’t be removed from the chip via malware or any other way.

Integrated with Windows Update in the same way Azure Sphere Security Service integrates with IoT devices, the chip will make sure that firmware updates come directly from Microsoft.

There’s currently no word as to when we’ll be seeing the chip’s debut in PCs.

Missed any of the previous columns? Be sure to have a look right here.

• By Abhay V
      Surface Studio 2 updates now rolling out with audio performance and stability fixes
      by Abhay Venkatesh

Microsoft has released new updates to Surface Studio 2 PCs, just a few weeks after serving new firmware updates to its newer batch of devices – the Book 3, Laptop 3, Pro 7, and the Go 2. Just like for those devices, the Studio 2 updates bring fixes for audio issues and improvements to overall system stability.

As usual, these updates will be made available to devices running Windows 10 version 1903 (May 2019 Update) or newer. Considering that version 1809 (October 2019 Update) reached the end-of-support this month, most devices should be moved to version 1909 (November 2019 Update) automatically. However, if your device is still running 1809 or an older version of the OS, it is best to upgrade to a supported version.

Here is the complete list of fixes:

Windows Update History Name

Device Manager Name

Version and Update

Surface - Firmware - 532.3389.768.0

Surface UEFI

Improves system stability. Realtek Semiconductor Corp. - SoftwareComponent - 11.0.6000.92

Realtek Hardware Support Application - Software components

Improves audio performance while streaming content. Realtek Semiconductor Corp. - Media - 6.0.8936.1

Realtek High Definition Audio (SST) - Sound, video, and game controllers

Improves audio performance and resolves associated system bugcheck. Realtek Semiconductor Corp. - Extension - 6.1.0.6

Realtek High Definition Audio (SST) Extension - no Device Manager notes

Improves integration between system services. As with all such releases, the updates will be available via Windows Update. However, they roll out gradually to all users, so it might be a while before all devices receive the bits through Windows Update. Additionally, the firm notes that there are no known issues, which is always a good thing.

Microsoft recently also updated the Surface lifecycle information document, providing timeframes on driver and firmware support for its PCs. The Surface Studio 2 is slated to be supported until October 2022, adhering to the minimum four years of support that the company promises.

• By Ather Fawaz
      The new Intel Open FPGA Stack is geared towards easing development of custom platforms
      by Ather Fawaz

Today at the Intel FPGA Technology Day, Intel showed off its newest offering in the eASIC lineup, the eASIC N5X. Alongside it, the tech giant also debuted its Open FPGA Stack (Intel OFS), a scalable, source-accessible hardware and software infrastructure meant to power customized, high-performance workloads.

Distributed via git repositories, the Intel OFS will be geared towards easing the process of development and deployment on FPGAs by enabling greater code reusability and modularity. Vendors will be able to provide native support to third parties and proprietary Intel-OFS platforms, this would lead to greater portability across Intel FPGA platforms and enable native support across major OS vendor distributions. All of this would lead to a smaller barrier to entry, enabling increased adoption of FPGAs in the industry.

"With the proven success from our early-access customers, we are excited to launch the Intel Open FPGA Stack, with its demonstrated ability to dramatically both reduce the development time and also increase code and hardware design reuse for customers and partners looking to accelerate their workloads,” said Dave Moore, Intel corporate vice president and general manager of the Programmable Solutions Group.

If you are interested in trying out Intel OFS, it is currently in early access. For details on that, as a starting point, you should contact an Intel sales representative. The firm aims to provide assistance regarding the same over the next year. For more details, you may refer to this blog post.

• By Usama Jawad96
      Microsoft is partnering with Qualcomm to enhance AI and ML developer experience
      by Usama Jawad

Microsoft has been working very closely with Qualcomm recently. In the past couple of months, Qualcomm has unveiled the Snapdragon 8cx Gen 2 5G compute platform for Windows on ARM PCs, and also revealed that App Assure is coming to platform, a major step in app compatibility.

Now, the two organizations have announced that they are collaborating to enhance the artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) developer experience.

Microsoft and Qualcomm will be working to improve the development and deployment of AI and ML solutions for developers working in this domain. This partnership mainly benefits organizations which utilize Microsoft's AI and Azure solutions in combination with Qualcomm's IoT processors and other products which utilize AI.

While Microsoft hasn't gone into the details of what this collaboration entails as of yet, it has highlighted that Qualcomm is in a decent position to make use of the Redmond tech giant's polished AI and ML solutions - such as the Azure IoT platform - to "drive hardware-accelerated inference capabilities from ultra-low power edge AI solutions all the way to high-performance AI inferencing in the cloud using the Qualcomm Cloud AI 100, leveraging 5G deployments with commercial customers".

Keith Kressin, Senior President and General Manager, Compute and Cloud at Qualcomm Technologies had the following to say regarding the new partnership between the firms:

Microsoft hopes that this collaboration will enhance the AI and ML development and deployment experience for developers working in various industries.

• By Abhay V
      Patch Tuesday: Here's what's new for Windows 7 and 8.1 this month
      by Abhay Venkatesh

It is the second Tuesday of the month, which means that it is time for Patch Tuesday updates. As usual, all supported versions of Windows receive updates on Patch Tuesday, which include all Windows 10 versions other than version 1511, Windows 8.1, and only the users of Windows 7 that have opted to receive the Extended Security Updates (ESUs).

As usual, these updates are split into two sets – a monthly rollup and a security-only update. While the monthly rollup can be installed via Windows Update, the security-only update must be installed manually.

For Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2, the monthly rollup is labeled KB4586845 and can be manually downloaded from the Update Catalog here. Below are the improvements and fixed made this month:

However, there is also one known issue that users must be aware of:

Symptom

Workaround

Certain operations, such as rename, that you perform on files or folders that are on a Cluster Shared Volume (CSV) may fail with the error, “STATUS_BAD_IMPERSONATION_LEVEL (0xC00000A5)”. This occurs when you perform the operation on a CSV owner node from a process that doesn’t have administrator privilege.

Do one of the following:

Perform the operation from a process that has administrator privilege.

Perform the operation from a node that doesn’t have CSV ownership.

Microsoft is working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.

The security-only update is called KB4586823 and can only be installed manually from here. The two fixes in this update are the same as the first and last points in the monthly rollup, and this update shares the single known issue with the one mentioned in the monthly rollup.

As for Windows 7, these updates will only be available to businesses that have opted to pay for extended security updates since this version of the OS reached the end of support officially in January 2020. Eligible users will receive monthly rollup KB4586827, which can be manually downloaded from here. The update includes the following fixes:

This update also has a couple of known issues which are mentioned below:

Symptom

Workaround

After installing this update and restarting your device, you might receive the error, “Failure to configure Windows updates. Reverting Changes. Do not turn off your computer,” and the update might show as Failed in Update History.

This is expected in the following circumstances:

If you are installing this update on a device that is running an edition that is not supported for ESU. For a complete list of which editions are supported, see KB4497181.

If you do not have an ESU MAK add-on key installed and activated.

If you have purchased an ESU key and have encountered this issue, please verify you have applied all prerequisites and that your key is activated. For information on activation, please see this blog post. For information on the prerequisites, see the "How to get this update" section of this article.

Certain operations, such as rename, that you perform on files or folders that are on a Cluster Shared Volume (CSV) may fail with the error, “STATUS_BAD_IMPERSONATION_LEVEL (0xC00000A5)”. This occurs when you perform the operation on a CSV owner node from a process that doesn’t have administrator privilege.

Do one of the following:

Perform the operation from a process that has administrator privilege.

Perform the operation from a node that doesn’t have CSV ownership.

Microsoft is working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.

The security-only update is termed KB4586805 and can be downloaded manually from here. The changes are identical to the monthly rollup and also shares its known issues with the rollup.

Another point to note for Windows 10 users is that version 1809 reaches the end of support today for Home and Pro users, which means that users of those SKUs will receive their last cumulative update today.