Man ends up in A&E after eating world's hottest chilli

The 34-year-old man had eaten one Carolina Reaper chilli in the contest in New York State.

The "crushingly painful" headaches came on in the next few days.

His experience has been published in the BMJ Case Reports as it is the first case to be associated with eating chilli peppers.

The doctor who reviewed his case has warned anyone eating hot chilli peppers to seek medical attention immediately if they experience sudden onset headaches.

Full article @ BBC News

3 minutes ago, NJL said:

Most certainly is not!

I think the article refers specifically to "thunderclap headaches" and not just your run of the mill headaches. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nick H. said:

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. I like a bit of heat but I've never understood the desire to destroy a meal because of it.

Yeah, I don't see the need to lather on chilli sauce. I love a bit of heat but nothing that completely destroys a meal or my taste buds. 

My dad and brother can eat really hot things.   I like hot things, the taste, but if it get to hard, I cannot stand it.  Hottest I can get is jalapeno peppers.  But then I normally pay for it a day or so later....

Question to the U.K. members, I'm assuming A&E is the term used over there for emergency room?

1 minute ago, Zag L. said:

Question to the U.K. members, I'm assuming A&E is the term used over there for emergency room?

Yes Accident and Emergency (A&E) is the UK version of our ER

• Like 2

Failed the vampire test, can't get into the club

I love ghost pepper salsa. Not really a fan of chili peppers directly.

2 hours ago, dipsylalapo said:

I think the article refers specifically to "thunderclap headaches" and not just your run of the mill headaches. 

LOL, He' s got "The Clap".

I go through phases, usually when I'm eating right and in shape, where hot stuff has no effect on me. I can hose my food with hot sauce, peppers, etc and it doesn't burn at all. The next time this occurs, I'm going to get one of these SOBs and cautiously sample.

38 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Yes Accident and Emergency (A&E) is the UK version of our ER

i hadnt heard of this one either. Thanks for filling me in!

1 hour ago, techbeck said:

My dad and brother can eat really hot things.   I like hot things, the taste, but if it get to hard, I cannot stand it.  Hottest I can get is jalapeno peppers.  But then I normally pay for it a day or so later....

In the scoville heat scale, jalapenos aren't really that hot.

scoville-heat-ratings-600x370.jpg

Edited by CrossCheck

1 hour ago, CrossCheck said:

In the scoville heat scale, jalapenos aren't really that hot.

scoville-heat-ratings-600x370.jpg

Yea, but everyone is different on how much they can take.  for me, jalapenos are hot enough.

32 minutes ago, branfont said:

That's what she said!

Yea, damn typos.

We grew Carolina Reapers last year in containers.  Dried some, pickled some, and used some in chili and homemade hot sauce. Also habanero, pablano, serrano, and 4 colors of bell peppers.

The kids, grandkids and I are OK with them, but then we're long term pepper-heads. My wife can't stand to be in the room with the hot ones during prep, and we make her a mild batch of chili etc. in a small crock pot.

7 hours ago, Nick H. said:

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. I like a bit of heat but I've never understood the desire to destroy a meal because of it.

The only heat I want in my food is from cooking it!

5 hours ago, Zagadka said:

Failed the vampire test, can't get into the club

I love ghost pepper salsa. Not really a fan of chili peppers directly.

That sort of thing is why you never eat ANYTHING with a hotness index of 50K Scoville Units directly.  (The Scovile Unit is the Heat Index for chilies.)

re

10 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

10 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

I use home-grown chilies in my cooking and dry them onsite at least six months prior to use (drying them increases their Scoville Unit Index - and is, in fact, usually recommended).  Chili, of course, is not the only food I use them in - pasta sauces get them as well (spaghetti, lasagna, etc.).  If I ever start doing home-made pizza, that will also get the "chili treatment".  However, i NEVER (as in ever) eat the chilies directly - before OR after drying - the only time I even eat uncooked peppers of ANY sort is in salads, and those are of the bell sort.

4 minutes ago, techbeck said:

Several years ago, radio jock on AZ snorted capsaicin.  Moron was puking and in a lot of pain after.  And lets not forget the Jackass people who snort wasabi.

You mean there's other ways to consume wasabi aside from snorting it?!

28 minutes ago, techbeck said:

Yup, it is also a good alternative to Preparation H.......

I feel like it would increase the need for preparation h.

17 hours ago, techbeck said:

Yup, it is also a good alternative to Preparation H.......

I should think that's the LAST place you'd want to apply wasabi! :s