Tablet as Compute Stick's Monitor (OTG Cable)

I'm getting a 404 error on all of your links. I'm betting it's because of the way that they trail off at the end.

I would assume that it's not possible, since I'm not sure any tablet is designed to accept a video input signal like what you're describing. I'm not 100% certain though.

3 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

I'm getting a 404 error on all of your links. I'm betting it's because of the way that they trail off at the end.

I would assume that it's not possible, since I'm not sure any tablet is designed to accept a video input signal like what you're describing. I'm not 100% certain though.

Links updated.

5 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

@DevTech I don't think he can connect it to his tablet, though..

I assumed that reality was obvious when I listed all the things that he CAN connect to and specifically mentioned a battery powered portable monitor.

This is a pointless thread unless we could turn it into some sort of tinker thing.

Obviously the OP also thought he could use the tablet's touch as an input device with both video display and touch data travelling back and forth over a USB cable.

With some custom software at both ends, maybe it would be good for some specific use case.

Just now, DevTech said:

I assumed that reality was obvious when I listed all the things that he CAN connect to and specifically mentioned a battery powered portable monitor.

This is a pointless thread unless we could turn it into some sort of tinker thing.

Obviously the OP also thought he could use the tablet's touch as an input device with both video display and touch data travelling back and forth over a USB cable.

With some custom software at both ends, maybe it would be good for some specific use case.

You never said all that. You were describing other things BUT that.

As Neufuse said, that HDMI port on the tablet  is out ONLY... There's no software that will make it work. Unless you are good with mechanics...

4 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

You never said all that. You were describing other things BUT that.

As Neufuse said, that HDMI port on the tablet  is out ONLY... There's no software that will make it work. Unless you are good with mechanics...

Dude, here is what I wrote "Or plug into a monitor such as a portable battery powered monitor."

Please let me know what crime I committed to the English language to have a communication fail on that sentence.

The cable the OP linked to was USB. So yeah bypassing the HDMI of both devices and sending custom data back and forth from an App on each device could achieve all sorts of information being display. Pretty much how every embedded industrial device works.

But wow OMG lets all instead assume that I don't understand how a HDMI connector works, because hey...

Since we are now firmly in tinfoil Alien abduction land, all the top end Alienware laptops from a few years back had an HDMI input. So all we need to do is buy one of those on ebay and install Android in a VM on the laptop and Rube Goldberg will smile happy from his grave...

7 minutes ago, DevTech said:

Dude, here is what I wrote "Or plug into a monitor such as a portable battery powered monitor."

Please let me know what crime I committed to the English language to have a communication fail on that sentence.

The cable the OP linked to was USB. So yeah bypassing the HDMI of both devices and sending custom data back and forth from an App on each device could achieve all sorts of information being display. Pretty much how every embedded industrial device works.

But wow OMG lets all instead assume that I don't understand how a HDMI connector works, because hey...

Since we are now firmly in tinfoil Alien abduction land, all the top end Alienware laptops from a few years back had an HDMI input. So all we need to do is buy one of those on ebay and install Android in a VM on the laptop and Rube Goldberg will smile happy from his grave...

Well, he wanted to plug his stick into the tablet. He didn't want to plug it to a TV...

2 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Well, he wanted to plug his stick into the tablet. He didn't want to plug it to a TV...

Yeah I just immediately jumped ahead a few steps.

Like it was one of those famous job interviews in Silicon Valley and they put you in a room with a USB Compute Stick, a USB cable, and an Android tablet with a USB input.

So it is immediately obvious you get nowhere with HDMI, so what next?

1. You say it doesn't work. They say thinking inside the box gets you thrown out of their box. Hey, it's the Valley, you failed.

2. You think for a bit. Then you reach for your backpack and pull out your laptop. The laptop does not have a glowing white image of an apple on it. They call security to evict you for harboring a foreign device. Hey, it's Zombie Valley, you failed.

3. You pull out an approved computing device native to The Valley. You quickly hack up an App for the USB stick and another one for the Android tablet. You are on fire. Fire In The Valley. You invent a new compression algorithm to display 4K video on a low end Android tablet. VC investors watching you through cameras, steal your idea and make 5 million quick bucks selling the Patents. You don't get the job because they thought outside the box using VC Power (tm).  Hey, its the Valley, you failed.