What app do U use to watch video in Gnome?

I used to exclusively use mplayer, but xine was included with my slackware and I was too lazy to install mplayer, so I got used to xine and like it just as much...so either I guess

when i first started in linux, i started using xine, because it seemed the most "windows-like" and familiar media player... but when i started using gentoo, i decided to try mplayer instead just for a change, and i found it to be much more powerful and configurable.

For example, in xine, if you're watching a video and the audio goes out of sync, can you adjust the audio delay on-the-fly to fix it? In xine, if the video has a bad/missing index, can you watch it and rebuild it at the same time? Can you extract audio tracks from a video easily with xine? mplayer can do all that stuff and loads more, like encoding files to different formats etc etc... I don't know, because i've not used xine for a while now, but i still think its just a basic player and nothing else?

can someone tell me how to install mplayer.

i installed the rpm but can't get it to work.

what distro are you running? what RPM did you install? what happens if you go into a console and type "mplayer /path/to/random/video.avi"?

If you are using an RPM-based distro, you can do a:

rpm -qa | grep mplayer

To see if it installed. (It will even confrim the version for you, too) ;)