US, UK, France air strikes on Syria....

DocM    13,705
Posted (edited)

Trump on TV now

AIR STRIKES on Syrian chemical weapon  infrastructure....

US, UK, France....

Calling out Russia and Iran for backing a "monster"....

"Huge explosions" in Damascus....

Pentagon briefing at 2200 Eastern

Edited by DocM

DocM    13,705

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-mideast-crisis-syria/trump-orders-strikes-against-syria-over-chemical-weapons-attack-idUSKBN1HJ0ZS

Trump orders strikes against Syria over chemical weapons attack

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump on Friday ordered precision strikes targeting Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s chemical weapons capabilities after a poison gas attack that killed at least 60 people last week.

Trump said a combined operation with France and Britain was under way and that they were prepared to sustain the response until Syria stopped its use of chemical weapons.

+Zagadka    2,549

I can neither condemn nor support this, since I have no better idea, so meh. Hope it turns out well. I would have preferred more of an investigation, but that was never going to happen.

Not assured by his whole "we'll keep doing it until you stop"... how do we have proof that they stop? We've demanded that before.

He continued: "We pray that Allah will bring comfort to those suffering in Syria. We pray that Allah will guide the whole region toward a future of dignity and of peace. And we pray that Allah will continue to watch over and bless Syria. Thank you and good night."

wakjak    9,215

That was quite a moment to wag the dog.

+Zagadka    2,549

At least it wasn't announced via Twitter.

DocM    13,705
Posted (edited)

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-trump-syria-airstrikes-20180413-story.html

>

In an announcement from the White House, Trump said the U.S. is prepared to "sustain" pressure on Assad until he ends what the president called a criminal pattern of killing his own people with international banned chemical weapons.
>
Trump also warned Russia and Iran about their association with Assad.

"To Iran and to Russia, I ask: What kind of a nation wants to be associated with the mass murder of innocent men, women and children?" Trump said.

Trump called the two countries those "most responsible for supporting, equipping and financing the criminal Assad regime."

Trump said "The nations of the world can be judged by the friends they keep." He added ominously, "Hopefully someday we'll get along with Russia, and maybe even Iran, but maybe not."
>

DocM    13,705
Posted (edited)
DoD presser should tell us the scope, but from what I'm hearing they're getting seriously whacked.

+primortal    3,316

Did he get Congressional approval for this?

+Zagadka    2,549
Just now, primortal said:

No, but Pence called them a full few minutes before doing it. So...

Bernie is going to be upset

300z    287
36 minutes ago, Zagadka said:

I would have preferred more of an investigation, but that was never going to happen.

The OPCW was actually scheduled to go there tomorrow to perform an investigation... 

DocM    13,705
Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, primortal said:

Doesn't immediately need it under the War Powers Act (50 U.S.C. 1541–1548) passed by Congress in 1973.

He has to notify Congress within 48 hours, which has been done via VP Pence,  then he has 60 days to act  before having to withdraw US forces - and he has 30 days to do that. 90 days total. Meanwhile, Congress can pass either  a Congressional 'authorization for use of military force' (AUMF) + funding or declare war.

Pentagon presser

Yogurth    1,850
Posted (edited)

Everything said here by O'Keefe has now come to be:

DocM    13,705
3 minutes ago, Yogurth said:

Everything said here by O'Keefe has now come to be:

PressTV is an Iranian-backed propoganda site.

Yogurth    1,850
Just now, DocM said:

PressTV is an Iranian-backed propoganda site.

Does that change what O'Keefe and his "opponent" said? No.

DocM    13,705
2 minutes ago, Yogurth said:

Does that change what O'Keefe and his "opponent" said? No.

Yes, they're owned by Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting.  

Yogurth    1,850
Just now, DocM said:

Yes, they're owned by Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting.  

Yes what? The Iranians somehow changed what O'Keefe said? What are You on?

wakjak    9,215
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DocM said:

Doesn't immediately need it under the War Powers Act (50 U.S.C. 1541–1548) passed by Congress in 1973.

He has to notify Congress within 48 hours, which has been done via VP Pence,  then he has 60 days to act  before having to withdraw US forces - and he has 30 days to do that. 90 days total. Meanwhile, Congress can pass either  a Congressional 'authorization for use of military force' (AUMF) + funding or declare war.

Pentagon presser

Not so fast. 

I'm the preamble of the text of AUMF. 

To authorize the use of United States Armed Forces against those responsible for the recent attacks launched against the United States. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authorization_for_Use_of_Military_Force_Against_Terrorists

Syria did not attack the United States. AUMF is irrelevant. This was an illegal attack. 

Even trump knew that.. 

Edited by wakjak

TechJunkie81    426

Action was needed, but I also want Congress to do its job and take a vote.  This is part of their responsibility.

The AUMF does not cover this.  

macrosslover    347

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/22/world/africa/22powers.html

I quote the Messiah in Chief

On Monday, Mr. Obama sent Congress a two-page letter saying that as commander in chief, he had constitutional authority to authorize the strikes, which were undertaken with French, British and other allies. He wrote that the strikes would be limited in scope and duration, and that preventing a humanitarian disaster in Libya was in the best interest of American foreign policy and national security goals.

Outside of the usual people, I highly doubt all the people complaining now were complaining when Obama did it.  But now that it's Trump, OMG unconstitutional.  Stop the hypocrisy.

IMO, I still don't think Assad did it and I think we (the US and the West) are being placed for suckers once again.  From a strategic point, he has nothing to gain by using chemical weapons.  He, through Russia, is winning his war.  Every time thinks are going "good" for him, such as last year when Trump said he isn't going to topple Assad, a mysterious chemical attack attributed to his government.  We launch missiles at him.  This year, Trump says he's going to pull out troops, and suddenly he launches another chemical attack again, knowing full well we will launch missiles???  That makes no damn sense.  Assad maybe cruel and murderous, but the man's not stupid.  Someone(s) does not want the US to leave Syria.  I just hope we don't get dragged into this mess any deeper.

Jazmac    987

Wag the dog.

Rippleman    3,017
53 minutes ago, macrosslover said:

Outside of the usual people, I highly doubt all the people complaining now were complaining when Obama did it.  But now that it's Trump, OMG unconstitutional.  Stop the hypocrisy.

IMO, I still don't think Assad did it and I think we (the US and the West) are being placed for suckers once again.  From a strategic point, he has nothing to gain by using chemical weapons.  He, through Russia, is winning his war.  Every time thinks are going "good" for him, such as last year when Trump said he isn't going to topple Assad, a mysterious chemical attack attributed to his government.  We launch missiles at him.  This year, Trump says he's going to pull out troops, and suddenly he launches another chemical attack again, knowing full well we will launch missiles???  That makes no damn sense.  Assad maybe cruel and murderous, but the man's not stupid.  Someone(s) does not want the US to leave Syria.  I just hope we don't get dragged into this mess any deeper.

100% this. As I have said before, always look to who stands to gain the most as well as who is to loss the most. I don't think Assad would do it either (but I still think he needs to go regardless), he has everything to lose. 

My far fetched suspicion based on "what would I do if I was a homicidal maniac with no regard for human life and only caring about money"? It would be false flag operation by an oil producing nation who would reap tens of billions with the increased price of oil a real conflict would bring. <<or>> simply someone wanting the USA to stay in the area for fear of what may happen if the military pulls out. 

+FloatingFatMan    14,535

Deja vu  anyone?  This will not end well.  :no: 

wakjak    9,215
7 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Deja vu  anyone?  This will not end well.  :no: 

"mission accomplished" he says this morning in a tweet. 

Because using those words worked wonders with the last president to publicly say them. 

TechJunkie81    426
9 hours ago, macrosslover said:

Outside of the usual people, I highly doubt all the people complaining now were complaining when Obama did it.  But now that it's Drumpf, OMG unconstitutional.  Stop the hypocrisy.

IMO, I still don't think Assad did it and I think we (the US and the West) are being placed for suckers once again.  From a strategic point, he has nothing to gain by using chemical weapons.  He, through Russia, is winning his war.  Every time thinks are going "good" for him, such as last year when Drumpf said he isn't going to topple Assad, a mysterious chemical attack attributed to his government.  We launch missiles at him.  This year, Drumpf says he's going to pull out troops, and suddenly he launches another chemical attack again, knowing full well we will launch missiles???  That makes no damn sense.  Assad maybe cruel and murderous, but the man's not stupid.  Someone(s) does not want the US to leave Syria.  I just hope we don't get dragged into this mess any deeper.

You're so cute with your Messiah ramble.  President Obama said repeatedly he wanted Congressional approval for Syria action, and Congress did nothing.

Oh and BTW the sites targeted were already evacuated on a heads up by Russia to Syria.  All these strikes were was another lame targeting an empty airfield.  It's almost like Donald Trump went on TV a couple of days ago and name dropped Russia so they could protect their boy and his weapons of terror.  Nothing changed with this.  Donald can't get into the bad graces of his boss in Moscow.

This was the lamest "Wag the Dog" I've ever seen.  https://www.reuters.com/article/us-mideast-crisis-syria-assessment/pro-assad-official-says-targeted-bases-were-evacuated-on-russian-warning-idUSKBN1HL07R?utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_content=5ad1850004d3012951053d90&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook

DocM    13,705
10 hours ago, Yogurth said:

Yes what? The Iranians somehow changed what O'Keefe said? What are You on?

I'm on a healthy dose of skepticism wrt PressTV, and IMO Ken O'Keefe should have set himself on fire instead of just his passport.