Southwest Airlines plane's engine explodes; passenger 'partially sucked out' of window

A woman was "partially sucked out" an airplane window after an engine exploded in midair Tuesday, leading desperate passengers aboard the Southwest Airlines flight to try pulling her to safety amid a chaotic scene with "blood everywhere," frightened witnesses said.

At least one passenger was taken to the hospital and several people were reported injured after the plane made the emergency landing in Philadelphia, officials said.

WACU reported a passenger was "partially sucked out" of one of the plane's windows when the engine exploded and shrapnel from the engine pierced through a window, a father of one of the passengers said.

“One passenger, a woman, was partially…was drawn out towards the outside of the plane…was pulled back in by other passengers," Todd Bauer, the father of one of the passengers said.

The pilot, who was not immediately identified, asked an air traffic control operator via radio for emergency services to be on the scene for the injured passengers when the aircraft lands. When the pilot was asked if the plane was on fire they replied, "No, it's not on fire but part of it's missing. They said there is a hole and someone went out."

More.....

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/04/17/southwest-airlines-planes-engine-explodes-passenger-reportedly-hit-with-shrapnel.html

Just now, wv@gt said:

Very scary incident, but it could have been a lot worse. Just so curious how that window was pierced, arent there like 3 layers to those windows?

My guess is when the engine exploded, a piece came off and damaged the window.

Unfortunately, the lady has passed away.  This is the first fatality in a little over 9 years on a US carrier (Colgan Air Flight 3407 in Feb '09).

Not a good scenario.  Hopefully Boeing can figure out the cause of the failure.

And not that it matters, but I'm slightly skeptical about the whole "partially sucked out of the window" detail.  For one, those windows are small, so it would be hard to squeeze through one if you tried.  And two, the rapid depressurization wouldn't have enough force to suck out a human.  Maybe it could suck out some paper or soda cans, but no way it would yank out a human.  Sounds like dramatization by the media, which shame on them if that's the case.

More details...

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2018/04/17/passenger-dies-southwest-airlines-plane-emergency-landing-philadelphia-airport-live-streaming/

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Officials say a passenger has died after a Southwest Airlines flight made an emergency landing at Philadelphia International Airport on Tuesday morning after a reported engine fire. The plane was flying from LaGuardia Airport in New York to Dallas Love Field.

The NTSB says it appears the left engine failed in-flight. Tracking data shows the flight was heading west over New York’s southern tier when it abruptly turned toward Philadelphia around 11:15 a.m.
>
"First there was an explosion and almost immediately, the oxygen masks came down and, probably within a matter of 10 seconds, the engine then hit a window and busted it wide open," said Martinez.

Martinez says a woman was critically injured.

"There was blood everywhere," Martinez explained.
>

I sure hope Allegiant Air makes a comment to CBS and 60Minutes about how their flights never caused a death regardless of how bad their record was made to look bad by their bias show.

I've flown both airlines a bunch and can tell you right now Allegiant is safe and cheap...never had a problem but I had issues with hard landings from SW and they lost a bag once...not to mention costs me nearly twice as much. I would love to see more regional flights from Allegiant to different locations.