logitech M705 - new mouse with binding sticking buttons

After rebuilding my lazer mouse 4 times and deciding this time not to replace the switch, I forced myself to buy a new mouse, the mouse "similar" (I use that loosely)  to my old one was the Logitech M705 usb, however after thinking how lucky I was not to pay $50 I found out the buttons are cheap compared to the old lazer mouse war horse, they for some reason would get bound and stuck.  The mouse came new with them rubbing together ack!   Where the left stacked up over the top of right or vice versa.  Without panicing, I looked at the mouse and thought well maybe if we file it at an angle it won't bind.  Welp guess what, go get some 100 grit sandpaper cause that *IS* the fix.  Go slow so your not off on an uglification project like my example below, and may the tech god's bless your mouse unbind it's switches again. 

SO the theory is to round the two squared surfaces like an edge router.   )(   clickity click now that it's slick.20180419034038337.thumb.jpg.237debf937c35ea279a35ea356e746e3.jpg20180419034103831.thumb.jpg.f51f0c253dc69e08861709f41573ac50.jpg

I don't like spending time shopping, I hate lines, and crowds. Where I live crowds are unsafe at this time.   You would have to have had this mouse in your hand.  If functioned fine, until you get in a hurry-start right/left clickin.  I do not believe a new mouse would been any better, not to mention it was the last on on the shelf.  This trick solves the problem. Also when I said I had to replace my mouse, that's because there was a bad switch in the old one, so a one-directional transaction as I needed a mouse period.  and I ain't sitting around for days mouse-less AWP "parts. "

Maybe logitch sleuths will come out and gulp down this data and the next model mouse will have rounded ends?  At the end of the day even Edison's light bulb was an invention of many inventions.  I can now think of my mouse as a "more hardened" cheap plastic mouse as I can enjoy my "re-capped"  monitors (which I also don't "just return") way past their seven year cycle of death.

I've been using my M705 since about 2010 without issue. I actually recommend that mouse pretty often because of how well it's treated me and how nice it feels in hand.

It sucks that you got a lemon, I'd say return it and get a new one.

Compare your 2010 mouse to a modern 2018 with the same model number.   I too have other M705 that has no problem.  This one however has the buttons cheaply made and squished together along the middle seam between the left and right buttons.  I am betting yours has a 1/32'nds " gap in there.  mine rubbed, sanding opened the gap and smothed it where it's no longer an issue, and no need to return it as it's no longer a lemon.  

Can't you RMA it? I had to RMA one of their keyboards and mouse. They didn't even require a return. They just sent me a new one.

3 minutes ago, NJL said:

Sounds like you have a knock off.

I was going to say the same thing.  Never had a build issue with a Logitech.  And the image in the OP, plastic looks cheap/pitted.  I the same model mouse and it is different and much much better.  Parents got a 1st gen MS Surface mouse...or so they thought.  Looked the same but closer looking, there were things that were different.   I compared to a genuine MS mouse I have and you can see the differences as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pengwyn said:

Compare your 2010 mouse to a modern 2018 with the same model number.   I too have other M705 that has no problem.  This one however has the buttons cheaply made and squished together along the middle seam between the left and right buttons.  I am betting yours has a 1/32'nds " gap in there.  mine rubbed, sanding opened the gap and smothed it where it's no longer an issue, and no need to return it as it's no longer a lemon.  

I'll see if I can take a close up picture when I get home. I'm pretty sure you're right about the 1/32" gap (it's straight the whole way down).

I received mine as a gift shortly after they came out. I recently recommended it to one of our employees (a few months ago) and she says she loves it.

That mouse and the 5.1 surround setup I bought in '09 are two big reasons I will always look at logitech peripherals first.

37 minutes ago, NJL said:

knock off

Mouse with problem, which I sanded away with 100 grit

M/N: M-R0073

P/N: 810-005897

Mouse with good 1/16" -1/32" gap (the older M705)

M/N: M-R0009

P/N 810-001812

20180419070137043.thumb.jpg.2685d9826eb9a62533f0ca6cffeb27ec.jpg(see attached photo)

Edited by pengwyn

I have a brand new M705 and it has the M-R0009 part number.  Perfectly uniform ~1/32" gap between the buttons.  I have another one at home that's about 7-8 years old and it still works perfectly.

Is the M-R0073 model made in a different factory?  Mine says made in China.  Perhaps you got hit with a quality control issue.

15 minutes ago, NJL said:

it's not the same mouse

Touted in the packaging as an M705 usb mouse. Says M705 (with the USB symbol) when you turn it over on the bottom.

32 minutes ago, pengwyn said:

Mouse with problem, which I sanded away with 100 grit

M/N: M-R0073

P/N: 810-005897

Mouse with good 1/16" -1/32" gap (the older M705)

M/N: M-R0009

P/N 810-001812

(see attached photo)

Knock off.  Both my m705s say M-R0009.

34 minutes ago, NJL said:

So it's not the same mouse.  You bought something from a shop

I said it's a logitech M705 usb.

I said nothing about a shop.

Did a search on M-R0073.   Came up with one hit for Logitech support site.   Another search for M-R0009 came up with a lot of Logitech site hits.  So chances are you either got a knock off which was labeled with an old part number, or a crappy mouse and possible a reason why Logitech updated their M705 mice. 

I guess what really matters here if you are happy with it and it works. I doubt you will be able to return it anyway since you basically damaged/modded the mouse when you "fixed" it.  Personally, I would have sent it back and got one that was good out of the box.

Just now, pengwyn said:

it's CLEARLY a logitech M705 usb mouse.  

KNock offs can look exactly, or 99 percent, as the original.  Hard to tell sometimes.  It can say Logitech, have the same part numbers, and still be a knock off.  I have seen knock offs in all sorts of equipment.  Some fakes are harder to spot than others.

2 minutes ago, techbeck said:

KNock offs can look exactly, or 99 percent, as the original.  Hard to tell sometimes.  It can say Logitech, have the same part numbers, and still be a knock off.  I have seen knock offs in all sorts of equipment.  Some fakes are harder to spot than others.

It came from Staples, in Sacramento

4 minutes ago, pengwyn said:

it's CLEARLY a logitech M705 usb mouse.  

But not the SAME M705 - how you are struggling with this, I've no idea.  Different part number and by your own comments, differently constructed.

1 minute ago, pengwyn said:

It came from Staples, in Sacramento

Then why not return it?  Staples has a good return policy.  Or pick a diff model mouse all together/buy from a different place.  And unsafe crowds.....ok.  I doubt people would rob you of a cheap mouse.

But hey, keep posting and quoting.  You have in your mind that it IS the same.  So hey, there's no problem and no question to answer.  Well done.

20180419075150399.thumb.jpg.39d61b00a5a98de48e60962ea7cc2ae6.jpgI think the mouse is fine. You need to get on down with a microscope to see the sanding, follow up with 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, and 2000 if it's a problem.  Sorry my poor eyesight You can now see that was a star not a USB symbol I originally claimed.   Yes the markings are like a knockoff.  But at the end of the day this is what I have to enjoy life with.

Edited by pengwyn