• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Not receiving desktop notifications from Outlook

+Elliot B.    1,502

My work laptop is running Outlook 365 (2016) on Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (2017).

'Display a Desktop Alert' is ticked in Outlook 2016.

'Notifications & actions' in Settings > System shows 'Some settings are hidden or managed by your organisation' but I see that 'Get notifications from apps and other senders' is turned off.

Is this the option that's causing the issue, or does it apply to apps (presumably UWP?) only?

Brandon H    2,758
On 4/23/2018 at 7:36 AM, Elliot B. said:

My work laptop is running Outlook 365 (2016) on Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (2017).

'Display a Desktop Alert' is ticked in Outlook 2016.

'Notifications & actions' in Settings > System shows 'Some settings are hidden or managed by your organisation' but I see that 'Get notifications from apps and other senders' is turned off.

Is this the option that's causing the issue, or does it apply to apps (presumably UWP?) only?

Outlook 2016 accesses the Windows Notification API if on Windows 8, 8.1, and 10 so I'd assume that setting would affect Outlook for that reason.

The Notification API isn't limited to UWP apps, just not many devs make use of it yet.

+Elliot B.    1,502
On 24/04/2018 at 3:33 PM, Brandon H said:

Outlook 2016 accesses the Windows Notification API if on Windows 8, 8.1, and 10 so I'd assume that setting would affect Outlook for that reason.

The Notification API isn't limited to UWP apps, just not many devs make use of it yet.

So, the IT team for place I work for, an NHS organisation, came back with:

The decision was taken by management to turn off the Windows notifications to prevent end users being inundated with windows firewall, windows defender, Cortana message etc.  Email notification were taken into account during this decision process but the volume of notifications irrelevant to the end user out weighed this.

How about trying to manage the software correctly so we don't have to sacrifice visual e-mail notifications (which are rather important in general) :/

Brandon H    2,758
4 hours ago, Elliot B. said:

So, the IT team for place I work for, an NHS organisation, came back with:

How about trying to manage the software correctly so we don't have to sacrifice visual e-mail notifications (which are rather important in general) :/

wow, talk about taking the lazy managing path...

if they're using the enterprise version of Windows they should be able to just disable those apps/features without totally disabling notifications