• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

El Paso boy dies crossing Loop 375 highway during school day

+warwagon    11,955

EL PASO, Texas (CBS4) — A sixth-grade student at a northeast El Paso middle school was killed Friday morning.

The 11-year-old boy, was struck by a vehicle around 10:27 a.m. along the northbound lanes of Loop 375 near Parkland Middle School.

The boy was identified as Jonathan Benko, by University Medical Center officials.

Benko was taken to the hospital, where he died, said Sgt. Robert Gomez, of the El Paso Police Department.

Around noon, Ysleta Independent School District officials notified parents of the boy’s death via voicemail.

"It is with great sadness and heavy hearts that we inform you of the death of a Parkland Middle School student who left campus this morning and was struck by a vehicle on Loop 375," said the voicemail.

Ysleta ISD Superintendent Xavier De la Torre spoke to the media around 1:45 p.m. about the tragedy.

He said the Benko was with a group of 12 to 15 students who left the campus during a planned walkout at the school.

Nationwide, students walked out of their schools to protest gun violence on the 19th anniversary of the Columbine shootings.

De la Torre said the group of students “breached” the school’s perimeter during a planned walkout at the school.

There was additional supervision of students during the school’s walkout but the group of students who crossed Loop 375 was trying to go to a park on the opposite side of the loop, said De La Torre.

“This group of students, in a separate, isolated incident, who decided not to participate in the walkout but instead decided to use it perhaps as a way to get off the premises and go meet at the park,” said De La Torre.

Grief counselors were called in to to help students and staff at the school, who were shocked by the news.

Classes at Parkland Middle School were not canceled, but extracurricular activities on Friday and throughout the weekend were canceled, said De La Torre.

A parent told CBS4 she immediately picked up her daughter after hearing what had happened to her daughter’s classmate.

http://cbs4local.com/news/local/el-paso-boy-dies-crossing-loop-375-highway-during-school-day

Everyone is blaming the walkout for the 11-year-old's death. How about the fact he probably didn't look both ways when he crossed the road and probably just ran out into traffic. 

• Like 2

techbeck    6,413

That is to bad and why there are rules and ways of doing these kind of things.

+warwagon    11,955
6 minutes ago, techbeck said:

That is to bad and why there are rules and ways of doing these kind of things.

"why there are rules and ways of doing these kind of things." ?

DocM    14,852

We've had an epidemic of  hit and runs the last 2 years or so killing/seriously kids, cops, road workers, pededstrians, you name it. Crazy.

firey    3,837

Very sad, especially because at 11 years old they really don't have common sense or the ability to really think for themselves. That said, the school should have probably not allowed a walk out.. though I guess that would have backlash in and of itself. The world has gone to ###### I must say.

adrynalyne    9,675
6 hours ago, firey said:

Very sad, especially because at 11 years old they really don't have common sense or the ability to really think for themselves. That said, the school should have probably not allowed a walk out.. though I guess that would have backlash in and of itself. The world has gone to ###### I must say.

My daughter had plenty of common sense and ability to think for herself at 11. 

• Like 1

FloatingFatMan    15,830
8 hours ago, firey said:

Umm, yes they do. 11 is plenty old enough to think for themselves, have common sense, and to know what they're doing.

• Like 2

techbeck    6,413
15 hours ago, warwagon said:

"why there are rules and ways of doing these kind of things." ?

Yes, rules.  Properly crossing the street and staying with the group.  A group of kids went away  from the protesters to go hangout separately.

• Like 1

firey    3,837
7 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

My daughter had plenty of common sense and ability to think for herself at 11. 

I have 3 kids. 12 10 and 7. If the 12 year old had a big group of friends running across the road while running away from school... I don't expect her to first stop and look both ways.. she is going to go with the group.

The 10 and 7 year old would do the same.

5 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Umm, yes they do. 11 is plenty old enough to think for themselves, have common sense, and to know what they're doing.

Yes maybe as an individual. But not when there is a large group all doing something they shouldn't be doing in the first place.

I have 3 kids around that age. 

• Like 1

Human.Online    7,605
34 minutes ago, firey said:

I have 3 kids. 12 10 and 7. If the 12 year old had a big group of friends running across the road while running away from school... I don't expect her to first stop and look both ways.. she is going to go with the group.

I absolutely had road awareness at that age.

techbeck    6,413
10 minutes ago, NJL said:

Me to...and there was also better adult supervision.

• Like 1

adrynalyne    9,675
54 minutes ago, firey said:

The 10 and 7 year old would do the same.

Yes maybe as an individual. But not when there is a large group all doing something they shouldn't be doing in the first place.

I have 3 kids around that age. 

I taught my child to be independent and not go with the herd ;)

Probably why to date I’ve had zero problems with her succumbing to peer pressure. 

• Like 1

firey    3,837
47 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

I taught my child to be independent and not go with the herd ;)

Probably why to date I’ve had zero problems with her succumbing to peer pressure. 

Well aren't you just a God amongst mortals.

adrynalyne    9,675
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, firey said:

Well aren't you just a God amongst mortals.

No, just a good parent. I nipped crap like that in the bud at an early age. 

firey    3,837
12 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

No, just a good parent. I nipped crap like that in the bud at an early age. 

So are you saying that I am not a good parent then? Maybe I am misinterpreting what you are saying, I really do hope that's the case.

1 hour ago, NJL said:

Oh yea? In a busy city.. with a group of friends running away from school headed to a park.. you were like "Hold up guys.. lets check for traffic first. Lets wait a few seconds make sure nothing is coming. Need to be safe here guys." I call BS. I know I sure as ###### didn't do that.

adrynalyne    9,675
Just now, firey said:

So are you saying that I am not a good parent then? Maybe I am misinterpreting what you are saying, I really do hope that's the case.

That’s for you to decide, not me. I’m not like you with passive aggressive comments like a “god amongst mortals”. 

firey    3,837
Just now, adrynalyne said:

That’s for you to decide, not me. I’m not like you with passive aggressive comments like a “god amongst mortals”. 

no, but what you are saying is a joke. You cannot 100% with out a doubt say that I know for a fact my child will do EXACTLY VERBATIM what I have told them to do. I didn't do exactly what my parents said, and I would be a fool to expect my kids to do exactly as I say.

adrynalyne    9,675
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, firey said:

no, but what you are saying is a joke. You cannot 100% with out a doubt say that I know for a fact my child will do EXACTLY VERBATIM what I have told them to do. I didn't do exactly what my parents said, and I would be a fool to expect my kids to do exactly as I say.

That wasn’t even the point of this entire conversation. I said I taught my daughter to not succumb to peer pressure and not follow the herd. It’s not my fault nor concern if you are finding trouble with that. 

firey    3,837
2 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

That wasn’t even the point of this entire conversation. I said I taught my daughter to not succumb to peer pressure and not follow the herd. It’s not my fault nor concern if you are finding trouble with that. 

I never said I was having trouble. I am saying that I am not blind and expect 100% following of everything I say. You can teach your child right from wrong, how to do the smart thing.. but it's on them to do it and it's foolish to expect it to happen 100% of the time.

adrynalyne    9,675
Just now, firey said:

I never said I was having trouble. I am saying that I am not blind and expect 100% following of everything I say. You can teach your child right from wrong, how to do the smart thing.. but it's on them to do it and it's foolish to expect it to happen 100% of the time.

She is human, she makes mistakes. Not thinking for herself isn’t one of them. That has nothing to do with defying me or my wishes. The last time I dealt with something of that nature was when she was 8. She found out real quick that life isn’t fair and that she would be punished for her actions while the “group” would not. 

firey    3,837
7 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

She is human, she makes mistakes. Not thinking for herself isn’t one of them. That has nothing to do with defying me or my wishes. The last time I dealt with something of that nature was when she was 8. She found out real quick that life isn’t fair and that she would be punished for her actions while the “group” would not. 

Different ways of parenting I guess. I let my child make mistakes, they learn from it. If they choose to continue doing what they are doing then that's on them. I know if I make a mistake it's up to me to decide if I want to keep doing it or not. I can tell them not to do it, but I also am not going to be a controlling parent that forces them to do the right thing. They, like yours, will learn that there are consequences. 

I'll provide opportunities and better options.. if they choose to do something foolish then it's on them.

Human.Online    7,605
On 4/24/2018 at 3:18 PM, firey said:

Oh yea? In a busy city.. with a group of friends running away from school headed to a park.. you were like "Hold up guys.. lets check for traffic first. Lets wait a few seconds make sure nothing is coming. Need to be safe here guys." I call BS. I know I sure as ###### didn't do that.

I'd call London a busy city.  And yeah, we pretty much all knew to cross at the crossing or bridge further up the road.  Easy for you to call BS when you don't know ###### about it.

techbeck    6,413
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, firey said:

I found out at an early age that my  friends and people I hung out with didn't pay attention to things.  So personally, I checked myself before crossing the street even in large groups.  When I am with my niece and nephews, we also check ourselves and do not follow a large crowd across a street without checking for cars.  What my parents did growing up and something I never forgot.  Responsible for your own actions and if you follow a crowd without making sure you are doing the right thing, then cannot blame the crowd or anyone else but yourself.

1 hour ago, firey said:

Different ways of parenting I guess. I let my child make mistakes, they learn from it. If they choose to continue doing what they are doing then that's on them.

I do the same...to a point.  If it is something that could cause them harm, I always say something or do something.  Yes, I may have told them before but again, if it is something that could cause physical damage to a person, I will say it over and over until I am blue in the face.  However, if I tell someone to be smart with their money and they are not, then that is on them.

firey    3,837
On 4/24/2018 at 5:10 PM, NJL said:

I'd call London a busy city.  And yeah, we pretty much all knew to cross at the crossing or bridge further up the road.  Easy for you to call BS when you don't know ###### about it.

Also easy for me to call BS when as a child I would run across the street coming home from school so that I didn't have to walk all the way down to the crosswalk. At the time I was walking home, everyone was leaving the school and getting picked up so quite busy. So I know from my OWN experience.. which I would say means I do know ######.

Human.Online    7,605
23 hours ago, firey said:

Also easy for me to call BS when as a child I would run across the street coming home from school so that I didn't have to walk all the way down to the crosswalk. At the time I was walking home, everyone was leaving the school and getting picked up so quite busy. So I know from my OWN experience.. which I would say means I do know ######.

You called BS on MY comments about MY actions.  Thing you know absolutely nothing on.  You know your experience of not showing any traffic awareness, well done - I didn't call your comments on your actions BS, but you did on mine - about which you know less than ######.

Kinda a jerk thing to do...

• Like 1