Sarasota student makes racist prom proposal

SARASOTA COUNTY -- A Riverview High student is under fire after using a racist sign to ask his girlfriend to the school’s prom.

The sign, reading “If I was black, I’d be picking cotton, but I’m white, so I’m picking u 4 prom,” made the rounds on Twitter Sunday night. The proposal was conducted by 18-year-old student Noah Crowley, the district confirmed. Riverview students found the image on the female student’s Snapchat, with a caption of two heart-eye emojis, implying that she was excited about the request. The Herald-Tribune did not identify Crowley until confirming that he is an adult.

By Monday morning, various Twitter posts had already received hundreds of retweets and favorites. One student tweeted out the image with the comment: “He seems to not know about America’s history. Racism is a problem. Definitely should not be allowed to go to the prom!!”

School district spokeswoman Tracey Beeker confirmed Monday morning that Crowley attended Riverview and the sign was under investigation by the school district. She said administrators have been speaking to the student and his parents on the phone since Sunday evening.

Full article @ Sarasota Herald-Tribune

2018: Where a prom proposal is even blown up to national outrage.

I personally think it’s a garbage proposal, but why do I care what some racist dumb teenagers think.

Even more silly that the district is investigating. If it happened off school grounds, not their problem. 

Give me a break. 

Edited by shockz

The problem is that a LOT of things that happen off school grounds, the schools end up being responsible for because the parent's won't, assuming they can establish a correlation between the two, which is pretty easy to do.

https://cyberbullying.org/can-a-school-respond-to-off-campus-cyberbullying

http://www.thebullyproject.com/are_schools_only_responsible_for_bullying_that_happens_in_school

3 minutes ago, shockz said:

2018: Where a prom proposal is even blown up to national outrage.

I don't care for the level of hyper-sensitivity in today's society, but I read what was sent as a "romantic proposal" and went, 'umm, no.' For me it's not even a question of the student not knowing history - although clearly from the message he knows some. It's the idea that he obviously has enough knowledge to have written the message, and he appears to be oblivious to how things can get out and cause a storm in today's climate.

• Like 3

I don't know, I'm getting kind of fed up with how casual people have transformed the word "racism" to apply to just about anything.  What this kid said in the sign was absolutely not cool, probably not thought out, and VERY insensitive.  But is it truly racist?  I don't see it.

The sign was definitely racist, but probably not deliberately so. He likely just thought he had a clever way to ask the girl out, and didn't really consider the meaning of what he was writing. He may not even really be racist, just thoughtless.

Personally, I'd make him take out an ad apologizing for the mistake and leave it at that. No serious harm done, but there should be a little bit of consequences. Noting serious, of course - it shouldn't be "an eye for an eyelash". He should get some punishment for his dumb mistake, but there's no need to ruin the poor kid's life.

If lame proposals like this are getting girls excited nowadays, I’d have it easy if I were still in high school. 

3 hours ago, warwagon said:

I'm going to hell for laughing out loud at his sign.

You always laugh at stuff like this.

3 hours ago, Nogib said:

I don't know, I'm getting kind of fed up with how casual people have transformed the word "racism" to apply to just about anything.  What this kid said in the sign was absolutely not cool, probably not thought out, and VERY insensitive.  But is it truly racist?  I don't see it.

Maybe try understanding what the word racism means then cause that sign is the very definition of racism

Racism: a person who shows or feels discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or who believes that a particular race is superior to another.

Explain exactly how the line "If I was black, I’d be picking cotton, but I’m white, so I’m picking u" is not racist? 

He is literally saying that because he's white, he has an opportunity that a black person wouldn't have. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DConnell said:

The sign was definitely racist, but probably not deliberately so. He likely just thought he had a clever way to ask the girl out, and didn't really consider the meaning of what he was writing. He may not even really be racist, just thoughtless.

Personally, I'd make him take out an ad apologizing for the mistake and leave it at that. No serious harm done, but there should be a little bit of consequences. Noting serious, of course - it shouldn't be "an eye for an eyelash". He should get some punishment for his dumb mistake, but there's no need to ruin the poor kid's life.

Clever? Absolutely nothing clever about it! An ad apologizing? At least banned from attending prom.

Dude is flat out an inconsiderate (just so I don't have to use the word racist) idiot!

11 hours ago, cork1958 said:

Clever? Absolutely nothing clever about it! An ad apologizing? At least banned from attending prom.

Dude is flat out an inconsiderate (just so I don't have to use the word racist) idiot!

Banning from the prom would be appropriate too. In addition to the public apology for his idiocy.

Yea, I don't think the kid is racist at all.  Poor decision?  Yes, sure.  Should he apologize?  Of course.  But this is getting way more attention that it should.  Just a kid trying to be funny and wasn't.  I do not think he purposely created a sign to show the world he is racist.