Desktop Or Laptop

Laptop Or Desktop  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Desktop Or Laptop?

• Desktop
    • Laptop
    • Both!!!

I just want to know, do you use a Desktop for gaming, a Laptop for on the go? Upgradeability? Better or Worse? Cmon, boys (and girls), FIGHT!!

Edited by Mindovermaster

Why not both? I have a desktop for gaming and a laptop for on the go, and if I don't want to sit at my desk, I stream games from my desktop to my laptop.

Shouldn't there be an option for 'both' in the poll? Some people use a laptop for gaming and to be mobile.

I personally have a desktop that I use for gaming, because it generates a lot of heat and is noisy, so I have delegated it to that only. I have a Surface Book, with dock and extra monitor for my usual web browsing, watching movies, etc. I also have a secondary laptop with kali installed for pen-testing. If I had unlimited funds, I would have a sleek laptop with TB3 and pair that with an external gpu solution for gaming and probably dump my desktop all together.

1 minute ago, Circaflex said:

Shouldn't there be an option for 'both' in the poll? Some people use a laptop for gaming and to be mobile.

There ya go :)

Laptop with dock. Unless you're a gamer, you can get the best of both worlds with a dock connected to a monitor and keyboard. There are also plenty of usb c/3 dock solutions that you can connect to a gaming laptop.

Tower system and a convertible laptop.

The tower is my media server, gaming system and "heavy lifting" machine.

The convertible is my travel machine - light duty, reading, playing videos, a couple older/mobile games.

I couldn't really do without either. I wouldn't want to be tied to one place with the tower for everything, and I couldn't get by with just the lesser power of the laptop.

• Like 1

I vote both. I love desktops. I've built all four of mine that I've had since, well, the last one I didn't. Got one desktop as a graduation gift from my dad. Second one I got for signing up for 2 years of DSL (I'm not joking; Pac Bell and it was a Compaq Presario with a 600MHz Celeron, 10GB HDD, 64MB RAM...). Third one my stepmother bought me to celebrate her new job (at the shop she bought it from). After that I built them. Built with AMD the first three times to save money, then I got serious and got a Xeon.

I got a laptop for writing, but I haven't done much of that. I was looking pretty hard at an HP Spectre, but I got an Asus for about the same that had double the hard drive space and a GeForce 940MX. It can play Fallout 3/New Vegas and Skyrim, but not Fallout 4. It's a good little machine. When my wife's on the desktop (and for some reason she won't use the laptop... probably likes the bigger screen, I have a 23" monitor and the laptop's only like 15.6"), I just get on the laptop, if not the Xbox. Depending on what I wanna do.

If I wasn't a gamer I would have strongly considered a MacBook/Air/Pro. Apple's pretty expensive, though. Can't get around that. Then again, if I wasn't a gamer, my iPhone could fill the mobile PC void. Smartphones have gotten really good over the past few years.

I never liked Laptop, its really hard to use its little keyboard and touch-pad is just a nightmare. I always prefer Tab over laptop, which is IMO is better alternative.

and I use Desktop for gaming.

Both, tower desktop for media/work/gaming and the laptop for some on the go media, light work.   If you don't need much out of the laptop you can get some good ones around the $500 range and be good.  I got a HP with 7th gen i7 and 8GB ram on sale for $480 or so iirc, gotta love black Friday. 

I have a desktop, laptop (fairly old and used for work processes where I may need to move it, kinda like a diagnostic machine) and a Surface.

Speaking as a PC enthusiast and gamer... these days, unless you really want to play new games, a PC may be superfluous to the user's needs. Yea, it can be upgraded... but with the state hardware has been stagnating in compared to software development, a decent laptop will last a while. My laptop was designed for Vista and runs 10 fine, if I don't push it. I even do video import/encoding. If absolutely necessary, there are plenty of ports that connect HDMI and USB/bluetooth for keyboard and mouse, where you really won't know the difference.

I think the last time I had a desktop was around 2003, and that was the family one. Ever since I've had my own devices they've been laptops due to portability. Sure, it's unfortunate that I miss out on some games (Witcher 3, XCOM 2, and now Battletech) but I can't justify buying a desktop for those few titles. There are plenty of other less intensive games that run perfectly fine on my current laptop and I also have a PS4.

Well, you can make a decent non-gaming PC really cheap... but it is very limited compared to a laptop's mobility. I've set up most of my non-techie family with laptops, and they're perfectly happy. I don't see how giving them a desktop to check facebook and browse the web would improve their lives.

I have a desktop and several laptops (and a server, but irrelevant to the question).  I really don't find myself using my desktop very much - it's located in my office and clearly doesn't move.  I don't know if I'll replace when becomes obsolete.  I don't game on any of my computers so that level of performance just isn't important to me.

I tend to use my laptops a lot more as they move around, and I can use them in the living room or dining room as well as when I am away from home.

The first laptop I reach for is my Chromebook, but depending on the task at hand will grab my aging MacBook Air or my now almost ancient Windows/Linux Laptop.  For 99% of my tasks my Chromebook is sufficient.

Desktop. If I'm playing games, I'm sat at my desk, where my desktop is. I have a laptop, but it's an Acer Aspire 5420G and the age of it suggests how much I don't use a laptop.

Desktops are clearly superior unless portability is paramount. this really goes without saying.

everything's just better on a desktop outside of portability as it's cheaper/more powerful and just gets things done quicker since using a mouse is much faster than using a touch pad to navigate things and not to mention the screen is much bigger to. so if you have to pick between the two, Desktops are the obvious choice overall.