Ford to stop selling every car in North America but the Mustang and Focus Active

3 minutes ago, LostCat said:

Yes, you have to be a fashionista to not want to be driving around every day in a hideous vehicle.  Heh.

Why don't we all just use the ugliest thing we can find!  Take that, fashion police!

What if the ugly vehicle was the safer vehicle?  Which would be more important?

(The Suburban is not going to win a fashion contest - and that isn't why it sells; the Suburban sells because it's the closest thing to an HWWMV that doesn't cost like one.)  And this is with me pointing out that the Suburban's fuel economy biteth the big one. (Suburban purchasers know that up front.)

36 minutes ago, PGHammer said:

Looks are NOT everything; you are thinking like - egad - a fashionista; the reason for the disparity is - rather oddly - fuel economy; Toyota has, in fact, paid little attention to the Land Cruiser's fuel economy in recent years - it is actually threatening the Suburban for worst fuel economy among gas-powered SUVs overall - which would be rather embarrassing for Toyota.

When spending that much money, looks do matter when there are better looking options. 

If tou think how a vehicle looks doesnt doesn’t affect sales, you are naive. The Land Cruiser is playing in a price range where looks do matter. 

If Americans were as concerned with gas mileage as you imply, SUVs wouldn’t be such big sellers. 

2 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

When spending that much money, looks do matter when there are better looking options. 

If tou think how a vehicle looks doesnt doesn’t affect sales, you are naive. 

Not when all else is NOT equal (safety, for example).

Safety CAN trump looks (and even when it comes to SUVs, it usually does); it can play hob with fuel economy mattering as well - why else does even the Suburban outsell the Land Cruiser - which, according to he fuel-economy numbers, it shouldn't do? (The Suburban is NOT exactly a swan.)

5 minutes ago, PGHammer said:

Not when all else is NOT equal (safety, for example).

Safety CAN trump looks (and even when it comes to SUVs, it usually does); it can play hob with fuel economy mattering as well - why else does even the Suburban outsell the Land Cruiser - which, according to he fuel-economy numbers, it shouldn't do? (The Suburban is NOT exactly a swan.)

Oh lord. You think SUVs are safer? Why, because they are bigger? Haha. 

https://www.caranddriver.com/flipbook/safe-and-sound-the-safest-2018-model-year-cars-you-can-buy#9

Suburban starts at 35k less than the Land Cruiser. You should compare apples to apples. 

11 minutes ago, PGHammer said:

What if the ugly vehicle was the safer vehicle?  Which would be more important?

(The Suburban is not going to win a fashion contest - and that isn't why it sells; the Suburban sells because it's the closest thing to an HWWMV that doesn't cost like one.)  And this is with me pointing out that the Suburban's fuel economy biteth the big one. (Suburban purchasers know that up front.)

It depends how much safer (as most vehicles sold in the US have pretty strong standards to adhere to to even be sold here) and how much uglier.

I honestly haven't seen a reason to be concerned about any manufacturers lately in that realm.  Reliability is another story.

I'm not even in the SUV market (though I did have an Equinox for a few months) so I can't really follow your comparison anyway.

That all reads standard police package, no difference from other police packages.  They put a badge on police packages vs not having them on before, woo hoo. 

My info is dated, it goes back to the crown vic police package, when they switched from no badge to badge. They were slow and shared the drivetrain configuration with taxi cabs. I was in that space 10+ years ago. 

• 1 month later...

Random thought, but with the discontinuation of sedans I'm guessing the Interceptor sedan is on its way out as well?

As for the police version of the Crown Vic, I was under the impression the Interceptor versions had slightly better acceleration but otherwise functionally similar to civilian cars (other than perhaps a ton of sand bags in the trunk for the winter).

17 minutes ago, Denis W. said:

Random thought, but with the discontinuation of sedans I'm guessing the Interceptor sedan is on its way out as well?

As for the police version of the Crown Vic, I was under the impression the Interceptor versions had slightly better acceleration but otherwise functionally similar to civilian cars (other than perhaps a ton of sand bags in the trunk for the winter).

A lot of departments are buying the interceptor Explorer anyway.  The Taurus really isn't that big, seating wise, once you had all the necessary equipment and it has a stupid amount of unnecessary trunk space for a patrol vehicle..  The Explorer at least gives more room.

Since it's in the title and all

http://www.autonews.com/article/20180831/OEM04/180839958/ford-focus-active-tariffs

DETROIT — Ford Motor Co. on Friday said it is canceling plans to import a wagon version of the Focus to the U.S. from China because tariffs enacted by the Trump administration would cut into profits too much.

The automaker won't reconsider its decision even if the tariffs are eventually dropped, a spokesman said.

Ford had planned to bring the Focus Active to the U.S. in the second half of 2019 after discontinuing the sedan variant here. It had expected to sell fewer than 50,000 units a year.

"The impact to our future sales is expected to be marginal," Kumar Galhotra, Ford's president of North America, told reporters on a conference call. "Our viewpoint is that, given the tariffs, our costs would be substantially higher. Our resources could be better deployed at this stage."