• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Best DSLR (Photo & Video) under $1000

ACTIONpack    437

I'm looking to get into video and photographs. More video because I want to do youtube. I use an iPhone X but find that a phone is not an ideal thing to use. I find that a lot of people use a DLSR camera so that can do both. The only problem is that there are a lot of options and have no clue where to start. The only bad thing DSLR is that only the over $3000 camera will do 4K video which confuse me on why only the really high end model will do 4k in 2018.

Astra.Xtreme    2,302

I'm in the same boat and looking for a good DSLR somewhere in that price range.  From all my researching, I've found that it's worth spending a little more than the $1000 mark.  I'm currently considering the Nikon D7500, which runs a little over $1000 for the body.  The D7500 with 16-80mm VR Lens Kit seems to be a killer deal since that lens is rated highly and runs about $1k on it's own.

Full frame cameras are obviously top-tier, but you'll pay dearly for them.  Mirrorless seem to be interesting, but not many players in that market yet.  Seems like that will be the new industry trend in the next few years.

The D7500 seemed to be really good value being a DX type, but pretty comparable quality to a full-frame.  I'm curious to hear about other options though, since I'm not too knowledgeable about camera stuff.

+Zag L.    405

Keeping it below $1000, you can get a Nikon D5600 Bundle in the 850-900 range. 

ACTIONpack    437

What about the Canon EOS Rebel T6i or T7i? I see that a popular option for under $1000 camera.

Draconian Guppy    13,030
22 hours ago, Astra.Xtreme said:

I'm in the same boat and looking for a good DSLR somewhere in that price range.  From all my researching, I've found that it's worth spending a little more than the $1000 mark.  I'm currently considering the Nikon D7500, which runs a little over $1000 for the body.  The D7500 with 16-80mm VR Lens Kit seems to be a killer deal since that lens is rated highly and runs about $1k on it's own.

Full frame cameras are obviously top-tier, but you'll pay dearly for them.  Mirrorless seem to be interesting, but not many players in that market yet.  Seems like that will be the new industry trend in the next few years.

The D7500 seemed to be really good value being a DX type, but pretty comparable quality to a full-frame.  I'm curious to hear about other options though, since I'm not too knowledgeable about camera stuff.

There are entry  levels full frame, from all the top players, if you can afford to go full frame, the jump in image quality is worth it imo.

Astra.Xtreme    2,302
2 hours ago, Draconian Guppy said:

There are entry  levels full frame, from all the top players, if you can afford to go full frame, the jump in image quality is worth it imo.

Is the D750 from Nikon considered their entry-level full frame?  I was really really torn between that one and the D7500.  The D750 is getting a little dated and is a little more expensive, and I didn't see too huge of a quality difference between them (though I didn't do a ton of research). But considering it's full frame, it surely must be better in low light, right?

I could certainly be swayed if the D750 has big quality advantages for astrophotography, which will be half of what I want to use the camera for.

Euphoria    1,073

Fujifilm X-T10 - I purchased this camera the day it came out. Love the smaller size and excellent view finder.

You mach this with a 56mm 1.2f lens and you are money :)

or a cheaper but also great 35mm 2f lens.

91fwJYsSi1L._SL1500_[1].jpg

56.jpg

35.jpg

Draconian Guppy    13,030
49 minutes ago, Astra.Xtreme said:

Is the D750 from Nikon considered their entry-level full frame?  I was really really torn between that one and the D7500.  The D750 is getting a little dated and is a little more expensive, and I didn't see too huge of a quality difference between them (though I didn't do a ton of research). But considering it's full frame, it surely must be better in low light, right?

I could certainly be swayed if the D750 has big quality advantages for astrophotography, which will be half of what I want to use the camera for.

Nikon D610 is the lowest bracket, nice prices are to be had on factory refurbs as well, though check this out:

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/buying-guides/the-10-cheapest-full-frame-cameras

The Nikon D7500 has the image sensor, light meter and processor of the top-of-the-line DX Nikon D500 and keeps the D7200's body

So in terms of iso performance for astrophotography a newer camera with a newer sensor is probably your best bet.

• Like 1