• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Do You Take Vitamins?

Do You Take Vitamins?  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

+warwagon    12,134

I was just wondering how many people here take vitamins. If you do take them, how often and what do you take?

• Like 1

virtorio    2,764

Nope. If people need to take vitamins, it's probably because their diet isn't very good.

+warwagon    12,134
3 minutes ago, virtorio said:

Nope. If people need to take vitamins, it's probably because their diet isn't very good.

Well Vitamine D is a bit tricky to get enough of from food. You can get it from the sun, but you have to be out during a certain part of the day.  If you were to get your levels tested you are probably deficient too.

• Like 1

Draconian Guppy    13,036

Yes, I take my vitamins with my tomatoes, zucchini, avocado, lemons, oranges, kale, lettuce, cabbage, black beans, chick peas, etc. 

Mindovermaster    1,524

Well, I do take medication, but I don't think this really covers "vitamins"...

Draconian Guppy    13,036
Just now, Mindovermaster said:

Well, I do take medication, but I don't think this really covers "vitamins"...

Lies, we all know Mums always take vitamins

Mindovermaster    1,524
1 minute ago, Draconian Guppy said:

Lies, we all know Mums always take vitamins

Well, if you call high blood pressure and cholesterol medicine "vitamins", then yes...

virtorio    2,764
22 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Well Vitamine D is a bit tricky to get enough of from food. You can get it from the sun, but you have to be out during a certain part of the day.  If you were to get your levels tested you are probably deficient too.

My Vitamin D levels are perfectly fine, but I also go in the sun.

• Like 1

Mando    5,115

unless you have a condition that affects your bodys ability to absorb vitamins, or are pregnant, you do not need to supplement your balanced diet with vitamins. 

Consuming too much wont do any major harm, youll just pee most of the wasted vitamins into your toilet bowl ;) your body needs Mgs of vits. A balanced omnivore diet (meat, veg and fruit) supplies almost all vits you need, bar Vit D which our body can make when it absorbs sunshine (and from other sources like cow milk etc)

IF you drink milk and go outside at least weekly, your Vit D levels will be just fine.

Dont fall for the vit supplement con ;) 

+Zag L.    573

I take a single supplement on the advice of my doctor seeing as diet alone hasn't done it (and it was the diet a nutritionist created for me to address the deficiency).  Not everyone has the same chemistry. Just because the vitamins are in 'the food' doesn't mean your body can always absorb them. To be clear, I'm not suggesting you run down and start chugging 'One a Days', that's likely useless. On the other hand, eating a proper diet doesn't guarantee you will not have a deficiency. 

For me, its a once a week, high dose prescription vitamin.

• Like 2

Yogurth    2,052
Posted (edited)

Just include a fresh vegetable salad with at least one meal a day and few pieces of fruit between meals and You won't need Vitamin supplements ever.

• Like 1

Mando    5,115
57 minutes ago, Zag L. said:

I take a single supplement on the advice of my doctor seeing as diet alone hasn't done it (and it was the diet a nutritionist created for me to address the deficiency).  Not everyone has the same chemistry. Just because the vitamins are in 'the food' doesn't mean your body can always absorb them. To be clear, I'm not suggesting you run down and start chugging 'One a Days', that's likely useless. On the other hand, eating a proper diet doesn't guarantee you will not have a deficiency. 

For me, its a once a week, high dose prescription vitamin.

thats supplementing an immune system that cannot easily absorb a specific nutrient, you take it orally in higher concentrations to mitigate the deficiency in absorption. Hence the first sentence in my other post :) 

• Like 2