• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Bent frame?

techbeck    6,414

So my niece has an 08 Chevy cobalt. She was driving 20 mph and swerved to miss an animal that ran out in front. Passenger side tire went off the road and hit the opening of a 6in drainage pipe. This pushed the tire back and car will not move since the tire is touching the body.  No body damage to the car. 

My brother in law took a look since my niece is 2hrs away and I cannot. He said the car was off the frame or there is frame damage.  I would think it would take more to damage the frame . Insurance will be a day or so until it can be looked at by a mechanic. 

So could this have damaged the frame? If so, what are the chances the car is totaled? 

Jim K    10,815

/shrug.  I mean, it is hard to answer this one.  If hitting the drainage pipe at 20mph caused significant damage to the suspension (causing the tire to be forced back) it isn't out of the realm of possibility that damage to the frame also occurred.  Or, maybe your brother-in-law is mistaken (is he a mechanic) and the damage is only to the suspension.

With respect to bent frame + totaling of vehicle ... that really depends on the insurance company.  Since it is an '08 Chevy Cobalt ... the cost of repairing the frame (or even just the suspension) may justify the car being totaled (if repair costs are more than the vehicle's worth).

ITOps    39

Changes are 50/50, it is an aluminum car with no frame re-enforcement so even the smallest things can cause frame damage to a vehicle.   If the costs of repairs is higher than the value of the vehicle it makes since to total the vehicle, especially since frame "repairs" cannot truly be guaranteed to be safe.  As once a vehicle has frame damage it looses it kinetic protection (build into the frame) once the frame is damaged that original protection is lost.

If it is totaled, I recommend taking the check that the insurance company gives her (normally value of vehicle before the accident) to find something newer and safer.  No point driving around something an insurance company wouldn't insure.

• Like 1

techbeck    6,414

Thanks for the quick responses.  Hopefully the care frame is ok.  I had a 08 Scion TC that I hit a pretty good pothole with going 60mph.  Bent both rims on the passenger side and the fame was ok.  So hopefully it is just some internal damage and that is it.  And definitely taking the check from the insurance company if the car is totaled.  .  I know that frame damage is something that will never be repaired 100% and I have a grand niece I want to make sure is kept safe.

My niece is a big animal lover and cries if she sees a dead bird.  So swerved to miss a squirrel and caused the damage to her car.  I told her my rule is, if the animal is small enough that it will not damage my care and runs out in front of me, the animal is dead.

Should know more in a day or two when a mechanic looks at it.  My brother in law is not a mechanic but knows a little about cars.  And he is a big guy and the car is low.  So I don't see how he could have gotten under the car to look without jacking it up.  So I am not 100% convinced he is right here.

sc302    1,553

I am curious to know if it was a bent frame.  to move the wheel back at 20 mph seems false.  I have hit curbs at 40 mph with the wheels turned and while the tire popped and a chunk of the wheel was removed, the damage to the a-arm/cv joint/tie rods/ball joint/frame was miminal...I did this in two different vehicles (one was when I was talking to the wife angerly in the early 00's, another in my youth (dumb/stupid)).  That area can take a hit of much faster than 20mph....maybe if the rear were to become air born and the entire weight of the car were to be purched on that one wheel.  Remember, each wheel holds the weight of the car up...it can take a lot of abuse.  Or maybe she hit a wall with the car or another object hit her...it would have to be a really powerful hit or she hit an immovable object (not a drain pipe).  

techbeck    6,414
Posted (edited)

Luckily, no bent frame.  She needs a whole new suspension on the passenger side though.   Axel, sway bars, control arms, shocks, tire.....the list goes on and on.  2300 to fix but she has full coverage.

• Like 3