NAS Build And Question

5 minutes ago, Jason S. said:

imo, buying a pre-built NAS is a better option if you have the money. youre getting a supported ecosystem and minimizing administration. building your own creates more administrative variables. That is to say, if there's a problem then youre diagnosing more components and features. Synology, for example, is a closed ecosystem. if you have an issue, open a ticket w/ Synology and let them handle it. They also offer their own RAID system (SHR) and offer 3rd party plug-in support. Then there's also built in cloud storage options.

Again, it boils down to money. I, personally, wouldnt choose to build my own NAS. i'd rather get a canned system that i know is supported by the company.

The counter to that is that your limited by whatever company x offers/supports, but totally get what you're saying :)

It took me ages to get my HP Gen 8 server up and running and I did curse myself for not going for Synology,  but once it was done, it was perfect and I haven't had to touch it since. All that and the server plus 4 3TB Red drives cost me about the same as just a Synology chassis. 

5 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

The counter to that is that your limited by whatever company x offers/supports, but totally get what you're saying :)

It took me ages to get my HP Gen 8 server up and running and I did curse myself for not going for Synology,  but once it was done, it was perfect and I haven't had to touch it since. All that and the server plus 4 3TB Red drives cost me about the same as just a Synology chassis. 

youre right - it boils down to how much time and effort you want to put into the product.

• Like 1