• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Boy Scouts Plan Name Change as Girls Join Its Ranks

techbeck    6,907

For 108 years, the Boy Scouts of America's flagship program has been known simply as the Boy Scouts. With girls soon entering the ranks, the group says that iconic name will change.

The organization on Wednesday announced a new name for its Boy Scouts program: Scouts BSA. The change will take effect next February.

Chief Scout Executive Mike Surbaugh said many possibilities were considered during lengthy and "incredibly fun" deliberations before the new name was chosen.

"We wanted to land on something that evokes the past but also conveys the inclusive nature of the program going forward," he said. "We're trying to find the right way to say we're here for both young men and young women."

More.....

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/national-international/Boy-Scouts-Name-Change-Scouts-BSA-481477621.html

Edited by techbeck

Buttus    1,195

So, are they just going to combine the boy scouts and the girl scouts?

techbeck    6,907
1 minute ago, Buttus said:

So, are they just going to combine the boy scouts and the girl scouts?

Far as  know, Girl Scouts are still separate.

Brandon H    3,034
1 minute ago, techbeck said:

they just want to hog the cookies :p

techbeck    6,907
2 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

they just want to hog the cookies :p

Yea, well, they can have them.  Getting more expensive and appears you get less as well.  Plus, the GS gets pennies for each box sold.

Also, the Keebler Coconut Dreams taste just as good as the ones the GS sell.  My fav out of all of them.

• Like 1

dipsylalapo    1,772

@techbeckCan you correct the link in OP? Seems to be a link back to Neowin ;)

Edit - THANKS ?

PsYcHoKiLLa    2,345

In the UK we always had the Boy Scouts and the Girl Guides.

+warwagon    13,106
3 hours ago, techbeck said:

Yea, well, they can have them.  Getting more expensive and appears you get less as well.  Plus, the GS gets pennies for each box sold.

Also, the Keebler Coconut Dreams taste just as good as the ones the GS sell.  My fav out of all of them.

Yep. I was in the ball, and a GS came up to me and asked if I wanted to buy a box of cookies. Handed her $5 and said here is a donation. That was probably 20 box of cookies worth of sales lol.

DConnell    6,581
23 hours ago, techbeck said:

So Boy Scouts have to change their name to be "more inclusive" but Girl Scouts don't? Double standard much?

And AFAIK Boy Scouts was always inclusive in that girls could participate. I know my cousin's daughter did a lot of the activities and went to a lot of the meetings with her older brother. So why change the name?

Mockingbird    2,699
1 minute ago, DConnell said:

So Boy Scouts have to change their name to be "more inclusive" but Girl Scouts don't? Double standard much?

And AFAIK Boy Scouts was always inclusive in that girls could participate. I know my cousin's daughter did a lot of the activities and went to a lot of the meetings with her older brother. So why change the name?

LOL

If Girls Scouts start accepting boys, I don't think too many would join.

Mindovermaster    2,148

Girls could always join in adventure groups. But the basics of BSA, they cannot till now.

Girls wanted to get down and dirty with the boys.

techbeck    6,907
1 hour ago, DConnell said:

Stupid in my opinion to change the name.  Just another of many examples of companies bending to people who bitch and moan the loudest.   In the future, genders wont be separated anymore.

Euphoria    2,006
8 minutes ago, techbeck said:

Stupid in my opinion to change the name.  Just another of many examples of companies bending to people who bitch and moan the loudest.   In the future, genders wont be separated anymore.

This is what happens when political correctness goes overboard... Re-branding decision can not be more stupid than that, and the mere fact Girl Scouts still exists shows the hypocrisy behind the decision. It would have been one think to rebrand and merge both groups but killing the Boy Scouts just so some PC person gets it his/her way is mind-boggling.

• Thanks 1

techbeck    6,907
7 minutes ago, Euphoria said:

This is what happens when political correctness goes overboard... Re-branding decision can not be more stupid than that, and the mere fact Girl Scouts still exists shows the hypocrisy behind the decision. It would have been one think to rebrand and merge both groups but killing the Boy Scouts just so some PC person gets it his/her way is mind-boggling.

Pretty much.  Seems like an attack lately on the male gender.  Which is some cases it is warranted, but a lot of cases...it is not.

• Like 1

Zagadka    4,060

Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts are entirely different entities. Girl Scouts aren't just a different gender of the same thing. Welcome to the girls wanting the experience. There is no sense in gender restricting them out.

DConnell    6,581
5 minutes ago, Zagadka said:

Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts are entirely different entities. Girl Scouts aren't just a different gender of the same thing. Welcome to the girls wanting the experience. There is no sense in gender restricting them out.

Thing is, girls have always been able to take part in Boy Scout activities.  They were never "restricted out".

The name change is completely unnecessary.

techbeck    6,907

I  am going to file a grievance with Victoria's Secret.  They should be selling men's thongs and man bras.  Discrimination!!!!  At the very least, they should have a separate area called Victor's Secret.

• Haha 1

Mindovermaster    2,148
2 minutes ago, techbeck said:

I  am going to file a grievance with Victoria's Secret.  They should be selling men's thongs and man bras.  Discrimination!!!!  At the very least, they should have a separate area called Victor's Secret.

Can't boys just buy girl thongs?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Zagadka    4,060

So the world is going to end because an all-gender organization changes its name from being specific for one gender? Did you consider it might just be confusing as hell without changing the name?

Mindovermaster    2,148
3 minutes ago, Zagadka said:

So the world is going to end because an all-gender organization changes its name from being specific for one gender? Did you consider it might just be confusing as hell without changing the name?

They going to be doing that to bathrooms as well?

techbeck    6,907
3 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Can't boys just buy girl thongs?

Err, have you every seen a men's thong and compared it to a womans?  Lets just say there is more room up front for men.

Zagadka    4,060
Just now, Mindovermaster said:

They going to be doing that to bathrooms as well?

If you are going to allow men and women to use the same restroom, calling it the men's restroom doesn't quite make sense.

Mindovermaster    2,148
1 minute ago, techbeck said:

Err, have you every seen a men's thong and compared it to a womans?  Lets just say there is more room up front for men.

Then just buy the XXL version... LOL

Just now, Zagadka said:

If you are going to allow men and women to use the same restroom, calling it the men's restroom doesn't quite make sense.

Exactly...

Zagadka    4,060
1 minute ago, Mindovermaster said:

Exactly...

So why would they avoid changing Boy Scouts when it isn't for males?

Mindovermaster    2,148
2 minutes ago, Zagadka said:

So why would they avoid changing Boy Scouts when it isn't for males?

Wish they would just call it "Scouts" and be done with it...

• Like 1