Hawaii’s Kilauea volcano erupts, mandatory evacuations ordered for more than 1,000 people

Red molten lava spewed into the air as Hawaii’s Kilauea volcano erupted late Thursday night, forcing some 1,500 residents to flee their homes.

Aerial drone footage showed a line of lava snaking its way through forest land and bubbling up on paved streets. Elsewhere, lava spurted into the sky from cracks in the road.

“It sounded like if you were to put a bunch of rocks into a dryer and turn it on as high as you could,” Jeremiah Osuna, who captured the drone footage, told Honolulu’s KHON-TV. “You could just smell sulfur and burning trees and underbrush and stuff.”

Gov. David Ige activated the National Guard to help with evacuations and provide security for about 770 structures left empty by residents fleeing the area.

One homeowner in the Leilani Estates subdivision, which is near the town of Pahoa on the eastern side of the Big Island, said he knew when he bought a house near a volcano that this day might eventually come.

“But I had no idea the reality of [it],” he told Hawaii News Now. “It’s sinking in now, for sure.”

He added: “My family and my pets are safe. That’s what I really care about. I mean, the rest is just stuff. We can make more money and get more stuff. My family is safe. That’s the main thing.”

Officials said they cannot predict how long the eruption could last, but wanted to remind residents to remain calm and be prepared to evacuate.

More....

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2018/05/04/hawaii-s-kilauea-volcano-erupts-mandatory-evacuations-ordered-for-more-than-1000-people.html

‘A very fast-moving situation’: Lava shoots through Hawaii neighborhood as new fissures form

//

Shortly after Kilauea erupted Thursday, the ground split open on the east side of Leilani Estates, exposing an angry red beneath the lush landscape. From the widening gash, molten rock burbled and splashed, then shot as high as 80 to 100 feet in the air.

The Hawaii County Civil Defense Agency called it “active volcanic fountaining.” Some residents insisted it was Pele, the Hawaiian volcano goddess, come to reclaim her land. Residents there were ordered to flee amid threats of fires and “extremely high levels of dangerous” sulfur dioxide gas.

Soon, another such fissure had formed less than three streets to the west. Then another, and another. From the vents, hot steam — and noxious gases — rose, before magma broke through and splattered into the air.

As of Sunday morning local time, at least 10 such fissure vents were reported in the neighborhood, including two that had opened anew late Saturday night. The fissures are forming along a northeast-southwest line in the rift zone, and not all of the older fissures are actively spewing lava, said Wendy Stovall, a volcanologist with the U.S. Geological Survey.

//snip

Full article at WaPo

"He added: “My family and my pets are safe. That’s what I really care about. "

Dude, you live near the top of a  fracking active volcano. No mater how "safe" you think you are, you aren't.

New lava fissure opens as Hawaii awaits explosive eruption

PAHOA, Hawaii -- New lava fissures, ground deformation and abundant volcanic gases indicate eruptions on the eastern flank of Hawaii's Kilauea volcano are likely to continue. Authorities said three new fissures opened Saturday and early Sunday, ramping up the amount of lava outbreaks in and around Leilani Estates to more than a dozen.

Officials had said an 18th fissure opened up, but because no lava was seen spewing from it, they are documenting 17 total active fissures so far on Hawaii's Big Island.

Hawaii County Civil Defense officials urged residents of Halekamahina Loop Road to evacuate as well as two nearby community centers that were serving as shelters for people and pets. It was there that officials found the new fissure along the road. They numbered fissure 18, but later renamed it No. 17.

Popping, exploding and sloshing sounds could be heard from the fissure as far as 1,500 yards away. Observatory scientist Steve Brantley says this most recent fissure measures 1,000 feet but is not acting vigorously. There is some intermittent spatter but no substantial lava flow.

/snip

Full article at CBS News

On 5/9/2018 at 12:04 PM, techbeck said:

For some reason when I read that this came to mind. Prince song, with different words.

Acid rain, Acid rain
Acid rain, Acid rain
Acid rain, Acid rain
I only wanted to see you
Underneath the Acid rain

The nightmare scenario is a major  landslide causing a mega-tsunami, either heading for Honolulu, Asia/Australia/NZ or the Eastern Pacific rim including the  US west coast.

National Geographic 2012

Edited by DocM