Why can’t I access my entire drive?

I have a 3TB HDD drive that I use for storing media. However, it’s only letting me access 2TB. In the EaseUs Partition Master screenshot below, you can see there’s 746GB of unallocated space. I know that 2TB is the limit for partition size in NTFS, but it won’t give me an option to create another partition in the unallocated space. (I’ve tried in Windows disk management as well; the options for New Simple, New Spanned, and New Striped volume are grayed out.)

D53F1A15-CB04-4A9F-AA37-9928AF914446.png

23 minutes ago, KatGamer said:

I know that 2TB is the limit for partition size in NTFS

Where you pick up that little nugget of misinformation?  Did you set your cluster size to 512?  Why would you have done that?

3Tdisk.thumb.png.1a519e2c730cf2d411c0805d9e2425f9.png

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askcore/2010/02/18/understanding-the-2-tb-limit-in-windows-storage/

What I would suggest you do is use the built in disk management and just expand your partition into the allocated space

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/disk-management/extend-a-basic-volume

EaseUS Partition Master Free Edition can convert from MBR to GPT Disk without data loss (as long as it isn’t the System Disk)

Right Click Disk 0 > Convert to GPT and you will be able to access your entire drive

Do not convert from within Microsoft Disk Management or you will lose all the data on your Media Drive

• Like 3

There is ZERO reason to do that - unless they set their cluster size to 512... I would just change the cluster size and then extend the partition..  The default cluster size has been 4k for years and years and years.

You must convert your disk to GPT (GUID Partition Table) before you can use your entire drive. MBR (Master Boot Record) drives have a partition size limit of 2TB.

As Spark99 said, if you convert your drive from MBR to GPT within Microsoft's Disk Management software, all data will be erased.

I am unfamiliar with EaseUS Partition Manager, but I know you can convert from MBR to GPT using AOMEI Partition Assistant.

36 minutes ago, KatGamer said:

I have a 3TB HDD drive that I use for storing media. However, it’s only letting me access 2TB. In the EaseUs Partition Master screenshot below, you can see there’s 746GB of unallocated space. I know that 2TB is the limit for partition size in NTFS, but it won’t give me an option to create another partition in the unallocated space. (I’ve tried in Windows disk management as well; the options for New Simple, New Spanned, and New Striped volume are grayed out.)

D53F1A15-CB04-4A9F-AA37-9928AF914446.png

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askcore/2010/02/18/understanding-the-2-tb-limit-in-windows-storage/

As budman has said you only get a 2Tb max limit if you pick 512byte cluster size (baad idea) for a normal data drive, go at least 4096bytes or 8192bytes for a max theoretical volume of 16Tb or 32Tb

I have NTFS vols at work into the hundreds of Tb (65536byte cluster).

6 minutes ago, Mando said:

As budman has said you only get a 2Tb max limit if you pick 512byte cluster size (baad idea) for a normal data drive, go at least 4096bytes or 8192bytes for a max theoretical volume of 16Tb or 32Tb

I have NTFS vols at work into the hundreds of Tb (65536byte cluster). 

I don't think it's an issue with partition format, I think it's the partition table that's the problem here.

5 minutes ago, satukoro said:

I don't think it's an issue with partition format, I think it's the partition table that's the problem here.

if it was me id copy whatever i wanted off that drive and nuke it in disk manager, not a fan of eresus PM

im also assuming its an older Pc, as ugh to MBRs and non secure boot these days no ta! GPT always where possible.

26 minutes ago, satukoro said:

MBR (Master Boot Record) drives have a partition size limit of 2TB.

As Spark99 said

Utter Nonsense - why the OP wold of created the partition with 512 is moronic..

post up

fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo driveletter:

from an admin elevated prompt.

• Like 2

Indeed, my PC is 8 years old, although I'm only using it as a media server now. (I just got a brand new laptop last week so it's not my sole computer.) I'm just trying to salvage a bit more usability in it until I can save up to upgrade or replace it. I've already copied everything on that drive to another drive before even thinking of messing with partitions.

Thanks for teaching me about GPT vs MBR, I'll give that a try.

3TB drives back in 2010 when they first came out... So that disk is 8 years old?  Must of been pricey ;)

2 hours ago, BudMan said:

Utter Nonsense - why the OP wold of created the partition with 512 is moronic..

post up

fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo driveletter:

from an admin elevated prompt.

I imagine they used file explorer's quick format utility to initially format the drive with default settings and just started using it without realizing they weren't using the whole drive.

So after putting ~750GB of stuff on the drive and reading that there was only 1.2TB left it finally clicked that they weren't allocating the entire drive.

I think it's unlikely someone would have done this on purpose.

Format would default to 4k..  Even 8 years ago..

Have no idea what they did..  And since they didn't post up output  of fsutil just guessing it was 512 anyway.

On 5/4/2018 at 11:11 PM, BudMan said:

Format would default to 4k..  Even 8 years ago..

Have no idea what they did..  And since they didn't post up output  of fsutil just guessing it was 512 anyway.

suspect it was probs done with Erasus, as I cant think of any way in win setup you could do it, but im not long up after a heavy sesh last night so head could well be up rear end atm.

I don’t recall how much I paid for it or formatting it. It’s been 8 years. ?