XLR Mic issue through audio interface. Mic works but people can't hear me over the web.

Hello Neowin community,

I have tried looking everywhere online for an answer for my issue but have had zero luck so I am hoping this community can help me solve my issue like they have done so adequately in the past.

I just recently switched from using a USB gaming headset to using an XLR analog mic that is plugged into my audio interface. The mic requires phantom power which my audio interface provides and Windows does detect my audio input just fine meaning I can record myself speaking through my DAW Ableton Live and I can hear myself in the windows recording devices "listen" tab settings. The problem is for some strange reason no one on programs such as video games that I play can hear me, it seems like my audio cannot transmit over the internet for others to hear. Friends couldnt hear me on Discord as well but by fluke when I turned on an option that was labelled "use legacy audio subsystem" all of a sudden my friends could hear me in Discord. Every other app and video games I use do not have that same option that discord has so I am stuck. Windows itself and Ableton Live don't seem to need that option in order for me to hear myself or record audio in my DAW but seems like everything else has some sort of conflict. I hope someone can help me figure this out because it is driving me up the wall and doesn't seem to be a common issue as far as I can tell by searching the web.

I am on Windows 10, my audio interface is Apollo Twin and my motherboard is Asus Sabertooth X99.

On 5/5/2018 at 11:11 PM, kingofkurdistan said:

Hello Neowin community,

I have tried looking everywhere online for an answer for my issue but have had zero luck so I am hoping this community can help me solve my issue like they have done so adequately in the past.

I just recently switched from using a USB gaming headset to using an XLR analog mic that is plugged into my audio interface. The mic requires phantom power which my audio interface provides and Windows does detect my audio input just fine meaning I can record myself speaking through my DAW Ableton Live and I can hear myself in the windows recording devices "listen" tab settings. The problem is for some strange reason no one on programs such as video games that I play can hear me, it seems like my audio cannot transmit over the internet for others to hear. Friends couldnt hear me on Discord as well but by fluke when I turned on an option that was labelled "use legacy audio subsystem" all of a sudden my friends could hear me in Discord. Every other app and video games I use do not have that same option that discord has so I am stuck. Windows itself and Ableton Live don't seem to need that option in order for me to hear myself or record audio in my DAW but seems like everything else has some sort of conflict. I hope someone can help me figure this out because it is driving me up the wall and doesn't seem to be a common issue as far as I can tell by searching the web.

I am on Windows 10, my audio interface is Apollo Twin and my motherboard is Asus Sabertooth X99.

https://www.uaudio.com/audio-interfaces/apollo-twin-mkii.html

https://www.uaudio.com/audio-interfaces/apollo-twin-usb.html

so which one?

In general, the Apollo device needs a suitable Windows Device Driver which in turn can interact with Windows in unknown ways since it is a specialized low latency audio device.

Once installed if there is no "mixer" type settings and it doesn't interact properly with the Windows Mixer, then you will need some custom software to act as a switch such as:

https://www.vb-audio.com/Cable/

https://www.dxzone.com/5-free-virtual-audio-cable-software/