Yes, It’s Bad. Robocalls, and Their Scams, Are Surging

7 hours ago, DocM said:

If you call back several times in one day, and don't take me off your list when asked, you may get the air horn treatment.

? perfect idea. But I’m deaf so calls are worthless for me. Texting is the best way. :) 

This morning, I received a spam call. The "you won a ridiculous amount of cash" scam. If I recall correctly, I have registered my phone number to the Ad Opt-out registry. For some weird reason, I still received the occasional scam. I guess they are persistent. And all of a sudden, I received a call on my mobile phone from a money investment company. From the UK. And they talked in Greek (my native language is Greek, btw). Yeesh.

19 hours ago, Emn1ty said:

Not really, the way they do it is they rotate out numbers for caller-id so they aren't actually calling from your number the phone just thinks it's your number. I think once they realized that it wasn't an open number they pulled it from their rotation.

I also get a lot of robocalls which are just complete silence, this might be their automated system checking if the number is in use. Other things that have happened is robocalls will get you to say things like "yes" and "I agree" then they later will splice in a conversation with you agreeing to some service and then billing you for it.

I have gotten a few calls, but I use Truecaller on my cellphone and it filters out allot of the spam calls, the few that get through, and if I am in the mood to answer them, I will answer with a Bueno? (good in Spanish, the way they answer the phones) or I'll say something like Yo no hablo inglés, español por favor. (I do not speak English, Spanish please)

Since signing up for Nomorobo, https://www.nomorobo.com , I get very few robocalls that come through on the landline. Free for landlines and $1.99, I think for the cell phone app. Landline has to support simulring.