• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Yes, It’s Bad. Robocalls, and Their Scams, Are Surging

Jim K    13,494

It’s not just you.

Those pesky robocalls — at best annoying disturbances and at worst costly financial scams — are getting worse.

In an age when cellphones have become extensions of our bodies, robocallers now follow people wherever they go, disrupting business meetings, church services and bedtime stories with their children.

Though automated calls have long plagued consumers, the volume has skyrocketed in recent years, reaching an estimated 3.4 billion in April, according to YouMail, which collects and analyzes calls through its robocall blocking service. That’s an increase of almost 900 million a month compared with a year ago.

Federal lawmakers have noticed the surge. Both the House and Senate held hearings on the issue within the last two weeks, and each chamber has either passed or introduced legislation aimed at curbing abuses. Federal regulators have also noticed, issuing new rules in November that give phone companies the authority to block certain robocalls.

Law enforcement authorities have noticed, too. Just the other week, the New York State attorney general, Eric T. Schneiderman, warned consumers about a scheme targeting people with Chinese last names, in which the caller purports to be from the Chinese Consulate and demands money. Since December, the New York Police Department said, 21 Chinese immigrants had lost a total of $2.5 million.

/snip 

Full article at The New York Times

It has, at least with respect to my phone, worse over the past year or so.  A bit annoying ...

complaints-call-type-fy_2.thumb.jpg.a997c0e459a1368d2c0c594e2ba1e885.jpg
Source:  FTC

The total includes complaints about robocalls, complaints about live callers, and complaints where the call type was not reported. The number of calls where a call type was not reported is relatively small every year. The data is available at www.ftc.gov/donotcall-databook2017.

Yogurth    2,241

Ever since I stopped having a landline phone number all SPAM calls ceased. There was simply no need for it any more.

• Like 1

Mando    5,117
14 minutes ago, Yogurth said:

Ever since I stopped having a landline phone number all SPAM calls ceased. There was simply no need for it any more.

yup ive not had my PSTN connected since DSL1 also.

Brys    2,117

I'm starting to get a few on my mobile phone. Got two yesterday, calling from a +8something number, ringing for less than a second, expecting me to call back I imagine.

Mando    5,117
1 minute ago, Brys said:

I'm starting to get a few on my mobile phone. Got two yesterday, calling from a +8something number, ringing for less than a second, expecting me to call back I imagine.

i get regular calls on my personal mobile, they usually start with can I speak to a Mr Manderson please, i usually reply, speaking, then we have been notified you wer ein a car accident with your audi...

i usually reply with I dont have an audi so why dont you f*** off! and hang up.

• Like 1

+Jimmy1    10,392

it is a huge issue in Canada

I get at least a call a week. I think after you ignore them a few times they cease... which is great.

I have being told that unless I call back there will be a warrant for my arrest ;)

I also get a lot of Chinese spam .. I dont even know what it is... but I asked a chinese and they told me something to the extent of  - you won, call us back to colleft

• Like 1

Mando    5,117
7 minutes ago, Jimmy #1 said:

it is a huge issue in Canada

I get at least a call a week. I think after you ignore them a few times they cease... which is great.

I have being told that unless I call back there will be a warrant for my arrest ;)

I also get a lot of Chinese spam .. I dont even know what it is... but I asked a chinese and they told me something to the extent of  - you won, call us back to colleft

lol i have lethal weapon 4 in my head now thanks!

Its flied lice you plick!

LostCat    1,303

I usually ignore my phone no matter who's calling so there's that.  If it was actually important they'd leave a message.

The few that do really want to improve my credit.  I'm sure I just have to give them all my financial info to do it.

adrynalyne    12,169
1 hour ago, Yogurth said:

I get hit daily on my cellphone. It ticks me off. I don't have a landline.

• Like 1

Yogurth    2,241
3 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

I get hit daily on my cellphone. It ticks me off. I don't have a landline.

WoW, that is pretty bad...I guess we are either too small or less interesting than the USA to spammers.

+Jimmy1    10,392
7 minutes ago, Yogurth said:

WoW, that is pretty bad...I guess we are either too small or less interesting than the USA to spammers.

where is WE?

Yogurth    2,241
51 minutes ago, Jimmy #1 said:

where is WE?

Balkans :)

benthebear    315

I had an issue where I was getting multiple calls a day from numbers with the same prefix as mine telling me that since I stayed in a resort of theirs, I was eligible for something. This went on for almost exactly a year before they just suddenly stopped. If anyone is using at&t, their Call Protect app works pretty well at stopping the calls before they get to your phone. 

DocM    16,543

Our landline use ended a decade ago, but robodialing spammers, spoofers and scammers still call. Just as quick we add them to the block list.

dead.cell    4,260

One issue I've seen in Houston is people getting spam calls from a number similar to theirs.

Example: If your phone number is 832-678-3204, the spam callers you will get will be calling you from a number that starts with 832-678-XXXX. 

I found this pattern out after surveying a couple people who receive these types of calls. They call for all sorts of reasons; for a long time, they would (and still do) tell me I've won a vacation stay for Marriott Hotel...

I'm sure other carriers have this too, but AT&T has an app called Call Protect which helps label potential scammers and telemarketers, labeling them as such when you receive the call.  Still very annoying getting these calls though.

• Like 1

adrynalyne    12,169
5 hours ago, dead.cell said:

One issue I've seen in Houston is people getting spam calls from a number similar to theirs.

Example: If your phone number is 832-678-3204, the spam callers you will get will be calling you from a number that starts with 832-678-XXXX. 

I found this pattern out after surveying a couple people who receive these types of calls. They call for all sorts of reasons; for a long time, they would (and still do) tell me I've won a vacation stay for Marriott Hotel...

I'm sure other carriers have this too, but AT&T has an app called Call Protect which helps label potential scammers and telemarketers, labeling them as such when you receive the call.  Still very annoying getting these calls though.

Same in AZ. 

Emn1ty    4,060

I've actually had my own number used for robocalls. Had people calling me wondering why I called them for about three months.

Brys    2,117
1 minute ago, Emn1ty said:

I've actually had my own number used for robocalls. Had people calling me wondering why I called them for about three months.

oh god, that is terrible... I don't imagine you can do anything about it ?

Emn1ty    4,060
Just now, Brys said:

oh god, that is terrible... I don't imagine you can do anything about it ?

Not really, the way they do it is they rotate out numbers for caller-id so they aren't actually calling from your number the phone just thinks it's your number. I think once they realized that it wasn't an open number they pulled it from their rotation.

I also get a lot of robocalls which are just complete silence, this might be their automated system checking if the number is in use. Other things that have happened is robocalls will get you to say things like "yes" and "I agree" then they later will splice in a conversation with you agreeing to some service and then billing you for it.

+illumination    27

I've been getting a number of random calls from the Maldives and Russia. Not sure what the game with that is, I rarely answer a call if I don't know the number and definitely not from a country where I have no connection.

DocM    16,543

If you call back several times in one day, and don't take me off your list when asked, you may get the air horn treatment.

• Haha 1

Mando    5,117
12 hours ago, dead.cell said:

number spoofing, fairly easy to do on the PSTN.

techbeck    6,908

I get calls on my cell periodically.  Annoying and mostly political ######.  Some insurance selling calls as well.  Glad Google has the option to mark numbers as spam as that does help.  No call list is a crock of ###### as well as that does not seem to work.

• Like 1

dead.cell    4,260
6 hours ago, Mando said:

number spoofing, fairly easy to do on the PSTN.

Yup; this unfortunately happened to a company I used to work for.  Unfortunately, their customer service was flooded with calls from angry people asking why we were calling them asking for their credit card information and whatnot.

Mando    5,117
58 minutes ago, dead.cell said:

Yup; this unfortunately happened to a company I used to work for.  Unfortunately, their customer service was flooded with calls from angry people asking why we were calling them asking for their credit card information and whatnot.

its also how a lot of telemarketers now seem to dial you from local numbers, they aint, its spoofing ;)