'Deodorant Challenge' leaves teen with second-degree burns

9 hours ago, Rigby said:

Yeah, I really don't know what the deal is with all these idiotic "challenges". No one I knew ever did stuff like this back when I was a kid. I mean we did dumb things sometimes of course, but we didn't intentionally injure ourselves or risk our lives just for attention or for Youtube views.

So, your complaint is that dangerous things were done for a limited audience of friends instead of on YouTube?

11 hours ago, warwagon said:

No, we really really are not. They need a good swat on the ass. As a child I needed just one and they never had to do it again.

No, we really are. As long as we use discipline methods that are proven to work and stick with it.

Just throwing your hands up and going 'Can't hit the kid, so there are zero other choices' isn't parenting.

10 minutes ago, Joe User said:

So, your complaint is that dangerous things were done for a limited audience of friends instead of on YouTube?

This is it....I think as children back in the day, we did do stupid things for views.....

Who can get to the highest point in the tree to show of to mates or who jump the most boxes (IDK) on their bikes. As you said, the audience was just different. 

Now with the internet and the audience that it gives you access, the "challenges" are getting more and more ludicrous.

You're welcome guys, just completed the RCA ;)

5 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

This is it....I think as children back in the day, we did do stupid things for views.....

Who can get to the highest point in the tree to show of to mates or who jump the most boxes (IDK) on their bikes. As you said, the audience was just different. 

Now with the internet and the audience that it gives you access, the "challenges" are getting more and more ludicrous.

You're welcome guys, just completed the RCA ;)

Some are, some aren't. Kids played with fireworks, smoked, car surfed, shot rocks at things with slingshots, played chicken, etc. There are plenty of examples of dangerous challenges that predate YouTube. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Joe User said:

Some are, some aren't. Kids played with fireworks, smoked, car surfed, shot rocks at things with slingshots, played chicken, etc. There are plenty of examples of dangerous challenges that predate YouTube. 

Yes, I wonder if there really is a growing trend of if we just didn't hear about it before because we didn't have the internet. They would have done different idiot things, and they would not have filmed themselves, and there wouldn't have been as much statistics, or at least we wouldn't have seen them on news sites, when those didn't exist. But I vividly remember the 90% of idiots doing idiot things when I was a kid, and some of these idiot things would have been life threatening. I tend to think we've always been surrounded by idiots, it's just that now the media allows us to see them faster

2 hours ago, Joe User said:

Yes. No. Physical punishment isn't educational or effective outside of some limited scenarios. 

Nice backsliding in the second comment. 

I didn't read through the whole thread, but since when does deodorant burn you? My armpits have never gotten burned in the 40 odd years I'v been using it.

3 minutes ago, patseguin said:

I didn't read through the whole thread, but since when does deodorant burn you? My armpits have never gotten burned in the 40 odd years I'v been using it.

I’ve also never used an entire spray can at once. It could be the propellant, it could be the cold. Who knows. If you are allergic, it can burn then too. 

1 hour ago, Brys said:

Yes, I wonder if there really is a growing trend of if we just didn't hear about it before because we didn't have the internet.

Sure internet helps a little.  But that is like saying mass shootings has always been a thing and we are just hearing about it because of the internet.  Which would be false considering things were not crazy growing up when I was a kid.

A lot of issues with kids these days can be traced back to the home.  Lots of parents are busier and less time to watch kids, lots more single parents with 3+ kids, or just lazy and irresponsible parents. 

5 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

I’ve also never used an entire spray can at once. It could be the propellant, it could be the cold. Who knows. If you are allergic, it can burn then too. 

Oh, is that the challenge, they spray out the whole can on their skin?

4 minutes ago, patseguin said:

Oh, is that the challenge, they spray out the whole can on their skin?

I skimmed over it but it was something along the lines of spraying it for as long as you could take it. 

1 hour ago, adrynalyne said:

Nice backsliding in the second comment. 

A two finger tap on the wrist of a toddler about to grab a hot plate is the type of scenario I'm talking about. Imminent danger is one of the only times physical discipline is effective. 

1 hour ago, techbeck said:

But that is like saying mass shootings has always been a thing and we are just hearing about it because of the internet.  Which would be false considering things were not crazy growing up when I was a kid.

The guns not being available helped. 

6 minutes ago, Joe User said:

A two finger tap on the wrist of a toddler about to grab a hot plate is the type of scenario I'm talking about. Imminent danger is one of the only times physical discipline is effective. 

A toddler, sure.  But try doing that to a kid a few years older.  I know growing up, a two finger tap wouldnt do anything to curb my attitude.  I got spanked.  Didn't hurt but got my  attention and embarrassed me enough tho.  I do draw the line at using a paddle/belt though.  Had one school I went to that used a paddle on kids with holes drilled in it.  I was not in an danger and spankings worked for me a lot of others.

3 minutes ago, Joe User said:

The guns not being available helped. 

Not to get in to a gun debate, but they were just as available decades ago and in some cases, less restricted.   Mass shootings just didn't happen nearly as much as they did now and you never really heard about such a thing.  Internet was still at the start, but major events like mass shootings, you would still hear about it all over.

Said it before, will say it again...a lot of issues with kids these days are how they are raised.  The family dynamic has changed a lot and this is one of the consequences. 

23 minutes ago, techbeck said:

A toddler, sure.  But try doing that to a kid a few years older.  I know growing up, a two finger tap wouldnt do anything to curb my attitude.  I got spanked.  Didn't hurt but got my  attention and embarrassed me enough tho.  I do draw the line at using a paddle/belt though.  Had one school I went to that used a paddle on kids with holes drilled in it.  I was not in an danger and spankings worked for me a lot of others.

Not to get in to a gun debate, but they were just as available decades ago and in some cases, less restricted.   Mass shootings just didn't happen nearly as much as they did now and you never really heard about such a thing.  Internet was still at the start, but major events like mass shootings, you would still hear about it all over.

Said it before, will say it again...a lot of issues with kids these days are how they are raised.  The family dynamic has changed a lot and this is one of the consequences. 

Define family dynamic.

54 minutes ago, Joe User said:

BS, every situation and person is different. You can in no way know what is and isn’t effective for everyone. A good parent recognizes and adjusts for the situation. Also, try that cute little two finger tap on an 8 year old. I don’t see it going anywhere. 

17 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

BS, every situation and person is different. You can in no way know what is and isn’t effective for everyone. A good parent recognizes and adjusts for the situation. Also, try that cute little two finger tap on an 8 year old. I don’t see it going anywhere. 

Technically, you are correct, (and I have been informed that this is the best type of correct), there is nothing that works 100% for every single person in every situation. Of course you adjust for the situation, I never said you don't. I just said that physical discipline, like spanking, doesn't usually work.

http://healthland.time.com/2012/02/06/why-spanking-doesnt-work/

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/great-kids-great-parents/201404/why-physical-punishment-does-not-work

etc..

So, I'll just go with what the doctors say. Mostly because, hey, they're doctors, they tend to study this stuff in more detail than anyone else on the planet. 

My god this whole thread is so ridiculous. Like if kids were not doing dumb things in the 70ies, 80ies and 90ies. It's like those video of drivers in Russia. People comment like if there was no dumb drivers in America while the main difference is every one got a dashcam in Russia and nobody got one in America. Give the internet and smartphones to the 70ies, 80ies and beginning of 90ies era and you'll see the same amount of dumb kids as today.

When i was young there was apartment buildings being constructed behind my house. They were 4 stories high. At night we were climbing them to get all the empty bottles left by the workers and sell them for money. There was no stairs, no floor, no ladders and no surveillance (they removed the ladders at the end of the day). Yet we climbed up to the 4th floor to get the bottles without any protection walking on 2x4 and climbing on the skeleton. We did skate without protection. We did off-track skiing without protection and at a relatively high speed. We were a bunch of dumb kids too.

I think it's so sad to see my generation (very end of x or beginning of y depending on who you ask) turning into grumpy old adults who don't remember what it was to be a kid. We spent our youth saying our parents were old and outdated yet we are turning exactly like them. A bunch of grumpy old adults who are allergic to fun and who are using the TV and internet as a babysitter for their kids. Our favorite pass time is to say how bad kids are these days. Kids are this. Kids are that. My god i hated it when my parents were doing that and i'm so sad to see my generation doing it today.

5 hours ago, Joe User said:

No, that is not what I said. I said we sometimes did dumb things, not dangerous things and certainly not intentionally injuring ourselves. I broke my parents' antique lamp when me and a friend were playing dodge ball in the living room once, but we didn't spray bleach in each other's eyes or set our hair on fire for some stupid "challenge". I only mentioned Youtube because it seems that is one of the things that drives this moronic behavior, kids wanting to get views on their channel, or that is where they see it and try to copy it.

48 minutes ago, LaP said:

Yet we climbed up to the 4th floor to get the bottles without any protection walking on 2x4 and climbing on the skeleton. We did skate without protection. We did off-track skiing without protection and at a relatively high speed. We were a bunch of dumb kids too.

That is not the same thing, you weren't intentionally trying to hurt yourselves. Yeah, kids climbed trees, rode bikes without helmets, etc. Did you ever sit around with your friends drinking laundry detergent or see how long you could burn your arm before the excruciating pain made you stop?

Edited by Rigby
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Rigby said:

Did you ever sit around with your friends drinking laundry detergent or see how long you could burn your arm before the excruciating pain made you stop?

They were called dares.

5 hours ago, Joe User said:

the difference is those are all things that would get you hurt if you did them WRONG. the challenges i'm seeing more and more of now are meant to hurt you no matter what; tide pod challenge just being one of the latest good examples of that.

• Like 2

Up next...... Air duster challenge... turn upside down stick up nose and spray......

common who wants to start this one?........

13 minutes ago, neufuse said:

Up next...... Air duster challenge... turn upside down stick up nose and spray......

common who wants to start this one?........

No thanks. I'll wait for the "Rattlesnake Bite Challenge"

2 hours ago, Rigby said:

That is not the same thing, you weren't intentionally trying to hurt yourselves. Yeah, kids climbed trees, rode bikes without helmets, etc. Did you ever sit around with your friends drinking laundry detergent or see how long you could burn your arm before the excruciating pain made you stop?

We had a wood plank with a carving in the middle. There was a nail connected to 120 volts at the end of the carving. The carving was filled with salt and water. The challenge was to hold a piece of metal in one hand and put the end of it into the salted water and to get the closer possible to the nail starting from the other side of the plank. That was not really any better.

1 hour ago, Brandon H said:

the difference is those are all things that would get you hurt if you did them WRONG. the challenges i'm seeing more and more of now are meant to hurt you no matter what; tide pod challenge just being one of the latest good examples of that.

The tide pod challenge was dumb. But come on I'm a middle aged man and i did not know that deodorant could hurt like that. I mean what kind of deodorants are strong enough to hurt someone like that? You could apply my whole dove men + care tube on your arm and lick it and you would probably not hurt yourself much.