PC Gaming Build?

I hope I can post this here...

My PC is all kinds of old - about 6 years or so (self built)

Might be coming into some money soon, so I really want to build a new PC - looking somewhere in-between $2000 to $3000 - kinda wanna keep it under the $3k mark as much as possible.

Looking for i7 with atleast 16gig ram, maybe 32gig.  I do want a 1080ti card too.

How are perbuilds? like ibuypower?

Been awhile since my last build and you all helped me with one awhile ago so I thought i'd come here again

Please point me in the right direction

TY

PS

Yes this is gonna be a monster gaming PC

You should be precise in your requirements before you get spammed with shopping lists.

Such as:

- how long does it need to run state of the art games?

- what type of games do you play?

- what sort of monitors will you be driving - dual 4K for example would make your 3K budget impossible.

- what sort of things will you want to do over the lifetime of the computer such as Virtual Reality etc

- will you use the computer for any other "demanding" activities such as 4K Video Editing.

- any size restrictions, noise restrictions etc

- etc etc - make up a scenario description that covers your next 5 years...

6 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Might be prudent to add your old specs as well. So we know what to expect.

Very good point.

Some people have been replacing older state of the art builds and getting ho-hum results not really worth the monetary investment because a lot of top hardware from 5 years ago is still very powerful. Not like the old days when upgrading every year gave a real kick in the pants!

42 minutes ago, JayPaul said:

Might be coming into some money soon, so I really want to build a new PC - looking somewhere in-between $2000 to $3000 - kinda wanna keep it under the $3k mark as much as possible.

Looking for i7 with atleast 16gig ram, maybe 32gig.  I do want a 1080ti card too.

Been awhile since my last build and you all helped me with one awhile ago so I thought i'd come here again

TY

PS

I am not sure when you built your first computer, but times have changed dramatically. You can still build a powerful custom computer, using off the shelf parts, for a tad bit less money it but isn't as drastic as before. It all comes down to the person. I still enjoy custom rigs, but I don't upgrade nearly as often and sometimes my rig will sit broken for months at a time because I don't have time like I used to. The only downside to the custom rig, is the troubleshooting part because you are using a mix-mash of brands and parts; prebuilt rigs have warranties just for that purpose. Who knows, my next gaming rig might be prebuilt because my time is worth more now, I still enjoy benching and extreme overclocking, but time is just so limited.

Are there any particular models of ibuypower you have looked at? I know Best Buy carries some of their units, but I feel like they are not the same quality as going directly through ibuypower, that is feeling I had at least when I saw one in a store.

5 minutes ago, DevTech said:

Very good point.

Some people have been replacing older state of the art builds and getting ho-hum results not really worth the monetary investment because a lot of top hardware from 5 years ago is still very powerful. Not like the old days when upgrading every year gave a real kick in the pants!

OP did say the PC he is using now, is ~6 years old. I would think this would still be a major upgrade and the parts getting upgraded, wouldn't be salvageable from his current unit. Sure the case, ODD, possibly PSU and alike could be re-used, but the other components will need to go.

This could potentially be his current system

Edited by Circaflex

3 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

I am not sure when you built your first computer, but times have changed dramatically. You can still build a powerful custom computer, using off the shelf parts, for a tad bit less money it but isn't as drastic as before. It all comes down to the person. I still enjoy custom rigs, but I don't upgrade nearly as often and sometimes my rig will sit broken for months at a time because I don't have time like I used to. The only downside to the custom rig, is the troubleshooting part because you are using a mix-mash of brands and parts; prebuilt rigs have warranties just for that purpose. Who knows, my next gaming rig might be prebuilt because my time is worth more now, I still enjoy benching and extreme overclocking, but time is just so limited.

Are there any particular models of ibuypower you have looked at? I know Best Buy carries some of their units, but I feel like they are not the same quality as going directly through ibuypower, that is feeling I had at least when I saw one in a store.

OP did say the PC he is using now, is ~6 years old. I would think this would still be a major upgrade and the parts getting upgraded, wouldn't be salvageable from his current unit. Sure the case, ODD, possibly PSU and alike could be re-used, but the other components will need to go.

I've seen both situations, so no way to tell until the OP gives us more info.

"Yes this is gonna be a monster gaming PC" would certainly support your scenario, but then his budget is far from "Monster" so who knows...

4 minutes ago, DevTech said:

but then his budget is far from "Monster" so who knows...

I have to disagree, $3K can definitely build a monster pc. Now, knowing your post history and how we will all sometimes turn threads sideways, no need to create some ultra non-sense/unrealistic build and call that a monster, no need to go through the trouble.

4 minutes ago, DevTech said:

so no way to tell until the OP gives us more info.

Now, we do need him to clarify if this is the tower only, or does this need to include monitors and accessories.

5 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

I have to disagree, $3K can definitely build a monster pc. Now, knowing your post history and how we will all sometimes turn threads sideways, no need to create some ultra non-sense/unrealistic build and call that a monster, no need to go through the trouble.

Now, we do need him to clarify if this is the tower only, or does this need to include monitors and accessories.

3K gets him a single 1080 ti build which won't do all 4K gaming in Ultra settings. 

Can get a good build, but not Monster at least as I understand most people to mean by "Monster Build" no matter how you want to portray that.

edit: maybe GPU prices are coming down again?

On 5/10/2018 at 11:12 PM, DevTech said:

3K gets him a single 1080 ti build which won't do all 4K gaming in Ultra settings. 

Can get a good build, but not Monster at least as I understand most people to mean by "Monster Build" no matter how you want to portray that.

edit: maybe GPU prices are coming down again?

GPU prices have come down to normal levels (or just slightly above).  

Take a look at this build, you can substitute what you want, cheaper memory, cheaper hard drive, etc  but this will get you started and thinking...it is pretty high end.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tmZVw6

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($298.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: *Gigabyte - B360 HD3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($81.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: *Team - Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($159.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: *Drevo - X1 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($49.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: *Hitachi - 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($37.50 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: *EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB SC2 Video Card  ($749.99 @ B&H) 
Case: *Corsair - Carbide SPEC-04 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($36.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: *SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($63.20 @ B&H) 
Total: $1478.64
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-05-18 11:58 EDT-0400

On 5/10/2018 at 9:20 PM, JayPaul said:

TY

PS

Here is my build from couple of months ago... waiting for GTX1180 to replace my Zotac 1070 AMP

It's quiet, small and powerful. i7 8700k + 32GB RAM, 1 TB EVO 960 Raid + 1TB Crucial SSD for storage

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/MNsZxr