• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Antivirus Software Problems-_Details Below

bikeman25    45
Posted (edited)

Hi All

Clean Installed Windows 10 x64 Pro x1803 on APril 30th, all was fine and dandy with that,  then reinstalled my usual 3rd party antivirus Avast Free.   Nothing but problems---UI failing to load, Behavior shield issues,  System file checker issues,  might do another clean install tomorrow and stick to Windows Defender for good,  these problems happened on 3 machines,  all 2 recleaned installed, and one more tomorrow

CBS log

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmF6yoUM2hihmLNn-Z40tvdXzi1MKA

I don't think I can fix those issues with SFC or Dism, so yes clean install probably best route to go, even if it's more writes to the SSD, eventually i'll get a replacement one, so guess won't worry on that part--just want system to run stable without any errors, so I can enjoy my usual tasks of working on power point presentations, gaming, and such, and watching movies and videos

farmeunit    567

We used to use Avast at our school district.  Always had some kind of issue.  We're using F-Secure now.  Kaspersky at home.

bikeman25    45

Yeah thinking of possibly just using Windows Defender, and Malwarebytes Free, as unforuately not made of money,  thinking for what I do, probably enough or I hope lol

farmeunit    567

Windows Defender isn't too bad.  I never had much faith until recently, really, but it's not bad for free.

bikeman25    45

Yeah and at least none of the problems like I experienced with Avast this week or last 2 weeks

Mindovermaster    1,342

A lot of companies are having trouble with 1803. I heard so many horror stories about the latest update. Crashing programs, hardware going haywire, etc.

bikeman25    45

Yeah well getting frustrated, been dealing with problems since like April 30th, used Avast since 2006, but can't stand uninstalling/reinstalling all the time to fix it's darn issues, or sorta fix them, now with the system file corruption or so it says lol,  might just be best to give up on it, and not bother with it at this point

+goretsky    861

Hello,

It probably just needs to be updated to work with 1803.  You could probably find out for certain, though, by posting a message in Avast's support forum at https://forum.avast.com/.

It's always best to go to the software author for a definitive explanation, especially when the software in question is security software.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

+Mando    5,097
On 5/12/2018 at 8:56 PM, bikeman25 said:

Hi All

Clean Installed Windows 10 x64 Pro x1803 on APril 30th, all was fine and dandy with that,  then reinstalled my usual 3rd party antivirus Avast Free.   Nothing but problems---UI failing to load, Behavior shield issues,  System file checker issues,  might do another clean install tomorrow and stick to Windows Defender for good,  these problems happened on 3 machines,  all 2 recleaned installed, and one more tomorrow

CBS log

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmF6yoUM2hihmLNn-Z40tvdXzi1MKA

I don't think I can fix those issues with SFC or Dism, so yes clean install probably best route to go, even if it's more writes to the SSD, eventually i'll get a replacement one, so guess won't worry on that part--just want system to run stable without any errors, so I can enjoy my usual tasks of working on power point presentations, gaming, and such, and watching movies and videos

Bin Avast, it was once good, hasnt been in the last 12-18 months, utter garbage these days, bin it.

use anothe rreputable Av or W10s defender.

On 5/12/2018 at 10:08 PM, bikeman25 said:

Yeah well getting frustrated, been dealing with problems since like April 30th, used Avast since 2006, but can't stand uninstalling/reinstalling all the time to fix it's darn issues, or sorta fix them, now with the system file corruption or so it says lol,  might just be best to give up on it, and not bother with it at this point

bin it and move to Sophos home...i lean towards Webroot Secure anywher epersonally, but its paid for.

• Like 1

xendrome    4,896

Might have to wait until they update the AV app, I can't get any of my 1709 clients to upgrade to 1803 with TrendMicro Officescan installed. It BSOD's on first reboot. If I uninstall AV then install 1803 it's fine, I can then re-push Officescan after the install, but I'm not going to do this manually on 100 workstations.

• Like 1

+Mando    5,097
1 hour ago, xendrome said:

Might have to wait until they update the AV app, I can't get any of my 1709 clients to upgrade to 1803 with TrendMicro Officescan installed. It BSOD's on first reboot. If I uninstall AV then install 1803 it's fine, I can then re-push Officescan after the install, but I'm not going to do this manually on 100 workstations.

thats a pain in the butt.

webroot didnt need any amendment, nor did S.E.P v12 mp9

+Anarkii    2,152

Avast always takes about a week to update their software for proper releases of Windows.

There was a new update a few hours ago, see if you can update that and then if you still have problems, either ditch it or just wait another week for a new update. 
Sometimes the beta ring would be a good start to go to if you must have AV or avast running. It can be grabbed from forum.avast.com

bikeman25    45

Well at this time running Defender on Main System,  getting slowly used to it,   Used Avast since 2006, but once I feel comfortable, i'll be fine bining it as I won't have to deal with the problems anymore each time a new update for Avast comes out, or Windows.  

Have 4 Other Machines to decide if gonna bin on those as well, I just might lol

+Mando    5,097
11 minutes ago, bikeman25 said:

Well at this time running Defender on Main System,  getting slowly used to it,   Used Avast since 2006, but once I feel comfortable, i'll be fine bining it as I won't have to deal with the problems anymore each time a new update for Avast comes out, or Windows.  

Have 4 Other Machines to decide if gonna bin on those as well, I just might lol

if you want easy oversight and centralised management, I cannot reccomend Webroot Secure anywhere enough.

Extremly lightweight ram footprint (2-6mb while i surf) browser plugin for real time scanning and install bas eof under 6Mb. I pay something like £30 a year to cover up to 8 devices, inc my android handsets. Ive ran it for years, since my checkpoint contact informed me they swear by it. Hell I even have it deployed at my parents home with their devices. :)

https://www.webroot.com/gb/en/home/products/av

Sophos also do a home offering now for free, very good, based around their corp firewall platform. Very good web filtering etc if family are involved.

https://home.sophos.com/

ESets Nod32 is also very good, it gets two thumbs up from me also.

https://www.eset.com/us/home/antivirus/

• Like 1

bikeman25    45

Well Webroot has known issues with my Secondlife game, so don't think gonna go for that one lol,  think will stick with Defender possibly as long as works well, and such,  hopefully all is fine  now

+Mando    5,097
Just now, bikeman25 said:

Well Webroot has known issues with my Secondlife game, so don't think gonna go for that one lol,  think will stick with Defender possibly as long as works well, and such,  hopefully all is fine  now

easy just add it to Webroots ignore table ;)

• Like 1

bikeman25    45

Thanks for the suggestion, will keep it in mind

Right now just gets used to Defender, and then sees if I need more protection or if will be fine like am now,  after using Avast for so long, takes a bit to get used to something else, but yeah maybe the problems was a sign to finally bin it from all the systems 

• Like 1

+Mando    5,097
3 minutes ago, bikeman25 said:

Thanks for the suggestion, will keep it in mind

Right now just gets used to Defender, and then sees if I need more protection or if will be fine like am now,  after using Avast for so long, takes a bit to get used to something else, but yeah maybe the problems was a sign to finally bin it from all the systems 

Windows defender in 10 is a lot better than it was, a few big flaws lately but hopefully they are all sewn up now. (they are)

Its a shame, Avast used to be quite a nifty platform, the last few years its gone downhill, even before buying out AVG. It couldnt handle a simple worm once for me, that was end of my days with it and betatesting.

Sophos is a good family suitable platform, deffo worth a look, and its free but it smore AV and firewall/web filtration protection, which in this day and age aint a bad thing, if there are others that use your systems.

bikeman25    45

Yeah i'll look into Sophos sometime soon here.... 

Started using Avast back in 2006 after a major infection while testing Windows Live Onecare at the time, of course the infection probably was my own fault, listened to a so called friend in a game to try a folder of virus samples, didn't know wasn't suppose to extract or open them, yeah was a noob then, well infected my boot sector, infected the bios, PC shop at the time had to rebuild my entire system due to budget at the time ended up having to downgrade a bit just to have a working system.

i'm much more careful now

calimike    32

Geek Squad agent told me my PC has crash due to latest update and ASC11. He said memory was lost 2 weeks ago. Culprit was DriverBoost and ASC. I uninstalled both. I installed Glary utility software. no problem. Also he warn too many antivirus can problem. He recommend one antivirus. What do you think?

Brandon H    1,794
2 minutes ago, calimike said:

Geek Squad agent told me my PC has crash due to latest update and ASC11. He said memory was lost 2 weeks ago. Culprit was DriverBoost and ASC. I uninstalled both. I installed Glary utility software. no problem. Also he warn too many antivirus can problem. He recommend one antivirus. What do you think?

that last part is true. if you have multiple anti-virus programs installed their live scanners can interfere with each other causing potential misses and they will degrade system performance due to the overhead of running multiple live scanners at once.

depending on 'how' they interfere with each other they could cause system instability as well

• Thanks 1

jnelsoninjax    10,087
18 hours ago, calimike said:

I wouldn't listen to Geek Squad, but I would also steer clear of driver boost programs, but they are correct about too many AV programs, pick one and stay with it.

+Mando    5,097

any decent branded AV should happily play along with installed defender in 10.

Thats the only time id advise running two. I let defender periodically scan my system for a second opinion with Webroot installed, but Webroot does the realtime stuff, im looking forward to the new advances with using your intel igpu to power security scans (finally a use for that igpu in my sig rig), coming to windows and an intel i series soon :) defender then opened up to other vendors (Y) im running full ASLR since 1803 not a single issue safe as houses. Post yesterdays spctre 2 fixes, im sorted.

image.png