• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Windows 10 update keeps telling that it needs to install an update that is already installed

+jnelsoninjax    11,856

Fresh install of WIn 10 pro 1709 and update says that it needs to install KB4103727, but it is all ready installed, I even downloaded the standalone installer and ran it and was told that it is already installed. Is there any way to convince windows that it is installed and get rid of the message?

+jnelsoninjax    11,856

I also tried the reset windows update bat file I found at tenfourms, and all it did was clear the list of failed installs and made update recheck for updates, which it says it still needs the cumulative update, which is installed.

Ready2018    41

Have you tried installing 1803 instead of 1709? It always helps if you are doing a clean install to make sure you are installing the latest version.

DevTech    1,517

I was having a similar issue on one of my computers.

Just forcing in the 1803 update cleared everything up nicely

Edit: and 1803 is a definite stability improvement as well, so either start with 1803 or do a quick update to it...

+jnelsoninjax    11,856
1 hour ago, Ready2018 said:

Have you tried installing 1803 instead of 1709? It always helps if you are doing a clean install to make sure you are installing the latest version.

1 hour ago, DevTech said:

Edit: and 1803 is a definite stability improvement as well, so either start with 1803 or do a quick update to it...

I did, but I went back to 1709 due to compatibility issues with some of my installed programs. I am waiting to see if there is any updates addressing the issue I am having before upgrading again.

DevTech    1,517
12 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

I did, but I went back to 1709 due to compatibility issues with some of my installed programs. I am waiting to see if there is any updates addressing the issue I am having before upgrading again.

This?

+jnelsoninjax    11,856
48 minutes ago, DevTech said:

This?

No, the Logitech keyboard software is the biggest thing that needs to be updated.

DevTech    1,517
1 hour ago, jnelsoninjax said:

No, the Logitech keyboard software is the biggest thing that needs to be updated.

Ah - groovy actually - just like my complaint about Network Neighborhood being disabled, here we have a case of another hole used by RansomeWare being patched "on the fly"

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Windows-Insider-Program/Windows-Defender-System-Guard-Making-a-leap-forward-in-platform/m-p/167303#M1256

"Since the initial release of Windows 10 (1507), enterprise customers have had the option to enable virtualization-based security (VBS) and hypervisor protected code integrity (HVCI) to increase platform threat resistance. In Windows 10 Creators Update (1709) we consolidated these system integrity features in Windows Defender System Guard.

In an upcoming release of Windows 10, we will be bringing a subset of VBS features to all editions of Windows to ensure our customers remain safe from increasingly sophisticated attacks. Devices that meet hardware and firmware requirements will have parts of VBS enabled by default.  Additionally, as part of this effort, Hypervisor protected code integrity (HVCI) will also be available and turned on by default in clean installs; for older systems, customers will have the ability to opt in post upgrade using the UI in Windows Defender Security Center (WDSC). This enhancement will ensure that the kernel process that verifies code integrity runs in a secure runtime environment provided by VBS. This will allow Windows 10 to protect the widest possible range of diverse users and scenarios"

How to disable this security update so Logitech will work:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/104025-turn-off-core-isolation-memory-integrity-windows-10-a.html

I suppose if you don't need Hyper-V or don't have the Pro version of Windows 10, then you can disable virtualization in the BIOS to achieve the same thing.

Logitech had plenty of warning about this driver security change. Background info:

https://www.reddit.com/r/LogitechG/comments/8bgxio/logitech_driver_bug_in_windows_10_1803/

I would suggest that the minor reduction in security by turning off the new feature until Logitech does what it has to, will be compensated by the plus side of other security improvements in 1803...

But yeah, the groovy part is Windows 10 automatically running device drivers in Hyper-V to isolate code! There is just too much stuff to keep up with! Thanks, I loved this one :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

adrynalyne    11,906
4 hours ago, DevTech said:

Agree to disagree. I’ve had more lockups, crashes, and blue screens on 1803 than any other Windows 10 version (I had none in 1709). That’s a clean install of Pro for Workstaions. 

DevTech    1,517
42 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Agree to disagree. I’ve had more lockups, crashes, and blue screens on 1803 than any other Windows 10 version (I had none in 1709). That’s a clean install of Pro for Workstaions. 

I have already updated 9 computers on my home LAN to 1803 without a glitch. On 2 of them I needed to download the Windows 10 Upgrade utility from Microsoft to get the process started.

Afterwards, one of them was cranky with Direct-X error messages which went away with the latest NVIDIA driver release.

All in all, MUCH smoother than the 1709 update!

Zagadka    4,047

If there is one thing WIn10 likes, it is forcing screwy updates

adrynalyne    11,906
21 minutes ago, DevTech said:

I have already updated 9 computers on my home LAN to 1803 without a glitch. On 2 of them I needed to download the Windows 10 Upgrade utility from Microsoft to get the process started.

Afterwards, one of them was cranky with Direct-X error messages which went away with the latest NVIDIA driver release.

All in all, MUCH smoother than the 1709 update!

And I had no issues with 1709 anywhere. So...

The install is fine. The stability, not so much. 

DevTech    1,517
7 minutes ago, Zagadka said:

If there is one thing WIn10 likes, it is forcing screwy updates

Ignoring the fact that Win 10 is not yet AI Aware, so it doesn't like anything or have any preference for "updates that are screwy" you are probably annoyed that the twice-yearly updates can be disrupting for some people.

I think it is a side effect of the abstract contract we have all entered into as a bargain sale priced deal too good to turn down. We get Windows 10 forever for free instead of paying $200 for a major update to a new version every 2 years and in return Microsoft gets to have a universal code base and the right to divide that 2 year Giant Major $200 New Windows Version into 4 smaller but sometimes semi-major updates.

We instinctively feel we never signed on to this by signing anything anywhere but when we pause for a moment to think about it we would probably agree to it if we had the choice...

So, for me I just feel we are coming out ahead just a little bit except when I think back on some of the great "Start Me Up" new Windows releases, those 4 semi-major updates over 2 years just don't seem to add up to the same sort of feature set improvement...

But that is probably just a symptomatic effect of the Agile Development Model in general as features get cut to meet delivery deadlines and a lot of very ho-hum uninspiring stuff gets deployed...

DevTech    1,517
9 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

And I had no issues with 1709 anywhere. So...

The install is fine. The stability, not so much. 

I started to ponder about it all in the previous post...

There are regular update fixes and then there are these 1/4 of a new operating system release that is just a new kind of beast...

StrikedOut    163
5 hours ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Have you run the update troubleshooter? This has resolved issues more than once when I have come up against update issues.

DevTech    1,517
2 minutes ago, StrikedOut said:

Have you run the update troubleshooter? This has resolved issues more than once when I have come up against update issues.

OH they would need a heck of an update troubleshooter for this one, one that writes complete new device drivers for you!

Lazy Logitech would like that just fine...

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Windows-Insider-Program/Windows-Defender-System-Guard-Making-a-leap-forward-in-platform/m-p/167303#M1256

StrikedOut    163
3 minutes ago, DevTech said:

OH they would need a heck of an update troubleshooter for this one, one that writes complete new device drivers for you!

Lazy Logitech would like that just fine...

My bad, I should have quoted his original post.

I must admit, I have upgraded through all versions at some point (only 3 so far on 1803) but have been fortunate enough not to hit any issues.

DevTech    1,517
2 minutes ago, StrikedOut said:

My bad, I should have quoted his original post.

I must admit, I have upgraded through all versions at some point (only 3 so far on 1803) but have been fortunate enough not to hit any issues.

They are slipstreaming in some fundamental breaking changes such as running device drivers in Hypervisor VMs here...    and my thread in this forum where they are removing SMB 1.0 on computers they think don't need it.

Both these updates make it harder for RansomeWare so it's a tough call  on an Eternally Updating Operating System that wants to add features and improve security on 1.3 Billion Windows Computers with a super-myriad-plethora of hardware configurations.

+jnelsoninjax    11,856
6 hours ago, DevTech said:

Ah - groovy actually - just like my complaint about Network Neighborhood being disabled, here we have a case of another hole used by RansomeWare being patched "on the fly"

"Since the initial release of Windows 10 (1507), enterprise customers have had the option to enable virtualization-based security (VBS) and hypervisor protected code integrity (HVCI) to increase platform threat resistance. In Windows 10 Creators Update (1709) we consolidated these system integrity features in Windows Defender System Guard.

In an upcoming release of Windows 10, we will be bringing a subset of VBS features to all editions of Windows to ensure our customers remain safe from increasingly sophisticated attacks. Devices that meet hardware and firmware requirements will have parts of VBS enabled by default.  Additionally, as part of this effort, Hypervisor protected code integrity (HVCI) will also be available and turned on by default in clean installs; for older systems, customers will have the ability to opt in post upgrade using the UI in Windows Defender Security Center (WDSC). This enhancement will ensure that the kernel process that verifies code integrity runs in a secure runtime environment provided by VBS. This will allow Windows 10 to protect the widest possible range of diverse users and scenarios"

How to disable this security update so Logitech will work:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/104025-turn-off-core-isolation-memory-integrity-windows-10-a.html

I suppose if you don't need Hyper-V or don't have the Pro version of Windows 10, then you can disable virtualization in the BIOS to achieve the same thing.

Logitech had plenty of warning about this driver security change. Background info:

https://www.reddit.com/r/LogitechG/comments/8bgxio/logitech_driver_bug_in_windows_10_1803/

I would suggest that the minor reduction in security by turning off the new feature until Logitech does what it has to, will be compensated by the plus side of other security improvements in 1803...

But yeah, the groovy part is Windows 10 automatically running device drivers in Hyper-V to isolate code! There is just too much stuff to keep up with! Thanks, I loved this one :)

Thanks for the link, I searched Logitech's forums and never saw any anything about my issue, I will update to 1803 and see what happens.

techbeck    6,877

Not sure if still relevant, but I had this issue.  Ended up having to hide the update so I would not keep getting asked to install.  MS has a tool that can hide updates.

DevTech    1,517
11 hours ago, techbeck said:

Not sure if still relevant, but I had this issue.  Ended up having to hide the update so I would not keep getting asked to install.  MS has a tool that can hide updates.

The root cause was determined to be a faulty Logitech Device driver that Logitech had not updated to run inside the new security Hypervisor isolation added in 1803

The fix was to disable the new security until Logitech can decide they need to support their products in a timely manner...

+jnelsoninjax    11,856
On 5/23/2018 at 5:29 AM, DevTech said:

The root cause was determined to be a faulty Logitech Device driver that Logitech had not updated to run inside the new security Hypervisor isolation added in 1803

The fix was to disable the new security until Logitech can decide they need to support their products in a timely manner...

Logitech released an updated driver ~ a week ago and it works fine with the newest version. I also managed to get the April update installed by running the windows update standalone program.

• Like 1

linettereed    2

If Windows is asking for the same update again and again then the reason could be it is not completely insatlled or OS is not able to detect the install. In both cases you can try uninstalling that particular update, restarting the computer and installing it one again afresh.