• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Neowin GDPR Privacy Policy Update

Steven P.    11,230
1 hour ago, SnoopZ said:

I will check again tomorrow but only saw 2 huge random letter cookies earlier so it maybe 1 of those.

I am interested to know this too.

SnoopZ    173
13 hours ago, Steven P. said:

I am interested to know this too.

If you don't want to see the popup after clearing your cookies out at the end of a PC session then the name of the cookie you NEED to keep is.

consensu.org

• Thanks 2

1337ish    108

Just a minor thing Steve but I think you have to provide a link to change your cookie settings/relaunch the popup to fully meet the rules. They should hopefully have a snippet of code to retrigger the prompt you can add to the footer but GDPR needs consent to be removed as easily as its give which most have read as meaning you need to have a way to trigger a reprompt manually by the end user.

• Thanks 1

Steven P.    11,230
5 hours ago, 1337ish said:

Just a minor thing Steve but I think you have to provide a link to change your cookie settings/relaunch the popup to fully meet the rules. They should hopefully have a snippet of code to retrigger the prompt you can add to the footer but GDPR needs consent to be removed as easily as its give which most have read as meaning you need to have a way to trigger a reprompt manually by the end user.

Actually no, even when a vendor or more changes I was told that the prompt would reappear on its own within 30 days again in that case because consent will be required again, not immediately. And anyway, what is anyone worried about here, are we storing your credit card and address details? Nope. Are you forced into our newsletter? Nope. GDPR is all about keeping tabs on those large companies that actually do misuse personal data.

In the interests of being sure though, I will reach out to our provider with your query.

SnoopZ    173

I see it has just changed and popped up again.

Steven P.    11,230

Yeah, thanks to GDPR rules, whenever the javascript is updated or vendors are added, we have to request consent again. You'll see this at other sites too (if they are fully compliant).

Steven P.    11,230
On 5/31/2018 at 4:56 PM, 1337ish said:

Hello 1337ish, 'Change consent' link added to the footer of all pages on Neowin.

• Thanks 1

1337ish    108
1 hour ago, Steven P. said:

Hello 1337ish, 'Change consent' link added to the footer of all pages on Neowin.

Great, thanks! it was a minor thing but I didnt want anyone to go all ott over it being missed.

• Like 1

SnoopZ    173

I now have a permanent blue privacy settings box when using this site on mobile, I think it looks terrible, is it meant to disappear?

Screenshot_20180713-082925_Opera.jpg

Steven P.    11,230
2 hours ago, SnoopZ said:

I now have a permanent blue privacy settings box when using this site on mobile, I think it looks terrible, is it meant to disappear?

Screenshot_20180713-082925_Opera.jpg

It is a requirement for GDPR so the provider of the consent settings has added it. You can thank the EU :) 

SnoopZ    173
6 hours ago, Steven P. said:

It is a requirement for GDPR so the provider of the consent settings has added it. You can thank the EU :) 

I've got rid of it on Desktop using ublock, wish i could figure out how to do the same on Opera for android.

How come this is the only site i have seen the blue privacy settings button on?

Steven P.    11,230
20 minutes ago, SnoopZ said:

I've got rid of it on Desktop using ublock, wish i could figure out how to do the same on Opera for android.

How come this is the only site i have seen the blue privacy settings button on?

Because we are fully compliant and the best, our words are the best we build the best walls. I am the most healthiest web admin of all time  I will build a great footer – and nobody builds footers better than me, believe me – and I’ll build them very inexpensively. I will build a great, great one on our southern footer, and I will make the EU pay for that. Mark my words.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Barney T.    2,244

trump.png

• Haha 1

SnoopZ    173
Posted (edited)

Has anyone got a good Android mobile browser that allows us to block this pesky segment other than Firefox for Android? I have tried Opera, Edge and Brave, Chrome, Samsung, CM Browser and i can't manual block the element, i don't want to use Firefox with ublock because i hate their speed dial.

Steven P.    11,230
13 minutes ago, SnoopZ said:

Has anyone got a good Android mobile browser that allows us to block this pesky segment other than Firefox for Android? I have tried Opera, Edge and Brave, Chrome, Samsung, CM Browser and i can't manual block the element, i don't want to use Firefox with ublock because i hate their speed dial.

Can you please not request support for ad blocking, given that it costs a lot of money to provide you and others this service, and Neowin is just being compliant.