Neowin GDPR Privacy Policy Update

1 hour ago, SnoopZ said:

I will check again tomorrow but only saw 2 huge random letter cookies earlier so it maybe 1 of those.

I am interested to know this too.

13 hours ago, Steven P. said:

I am interested to know this too.

If you don't want to see the popup after clearing your cookies out at the end of a PC session then the name of the cookie you NEED to keep is.

consensu.org

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just a minor thing Steve but I think you have to provide a link to change your cookie settings/relaunch the popup to fully meet the rules. They should hopefully have a snippet of code to retrigger the prompt you can add to the footer but GDPR needs consent to be removed as easily as its give which most have read as meaning you need to have a way to trigger a reprompt manually by the end user.

5 hours ago, 1337ish said:

Just a minor thing Steve but I think you have to provide a link to change your cookie settings/relaunch the popup to fully meet the rules. They should hopefully have a snippet of code to retrigger the prompt you can add to the footer but GDPR needs consent to be removed as easily as its give which most have read as meaning you need to have a way to trigger a reprompt manually by the end user.

Actually no, even when a vendor or more changes I was told that the prompt would reappear on its own within 30 days again in that case because consent will be required again, not immediately. And anyway, what is anyone worried about here, are we storing your credit card and address details? Nope. Are you forced into our newsletter? Nope. GDPR is all about keeping tabs on those large companies that actually do misuse personal data.

In the interests of being sure though, I will reach out to our provider with your query.

Yeah, thanks to GDPR rules, whenever the javascript is updated or vendors are added, we have to request consent again. You'll see this at other sites too (if they are fully compliant).

On 5/31/2018 at 4:56 PM, 1337ish said:

Hello 1337ish, 'Change consent' link added to the footer of all pages on Neowin.

1 hour ago, Steven P. said:

Hello 1337ish, 'Change consent' link added to the footer of all pages on Neowin.

Great, thanks! it was a minor thing but I didnt want anyone to go all ott over it being missed.

• 1 month later...

I now have a permanent blue privacy settings box when using this site on mobile, I think it looks terrible, is it meant to disappear?

Screenshot_20180713-082925_Opera.jpg

2 hours ago, SnoopZ said:

I now have a permanent blue privacy settings box when using this site on mobile, I think it looks terrible, is it meant to disappear?

Screenshot_20180713-082925_Opera.jpg

It is a requirement for GDPR so the provider of the consent settings has added it. You can thank the EU :) 

6 hours ago, Steven P. said:

It is a requirement for GDPR so the provider of the consent settings has added it. You can thank the EU :) 

I've got rid of it on Desktop using ublock, wish i could figure out how to do the same on Opera for android.

How come this is the only site i have seen the blue privacy settings button on?

20 minutes ago, SnoopZ said:

I've got rid of it on Desktop using ublock, wish i could figure out how to do the same on Opera for android.

How come this is the only site i have seen the blue privacy settings button on?

Because we are fully compliant and the best, our words are the best we build the best walls. I am the most healthiest web admin of all time  I will build a great footer – and nobody builds footers better than me, believe me – and I’ll build them very inexpensively. I will build a great, great one on our southern footer, and I will make the EU pay for that. Mark my words.

Has anyone got a good Android mobile browser that allows us to block this pesky segment other than Firefox for Android? I have tried Opera, Edge and Brave, Chrome, Samsung, CM Browser and i can't manual block the element, i don't want to use Firefox with ublock because i hate their speed dial.

13 minutes ago, SnoopZ said:

Has anyone got a good Android mobile browser that allows us to block this pesky segment other than Firefox for Android? I have tried Opera, Edge and Brave, Chrome, Samsung, CM Browser and i can't manual block the element, i don't want to use Firefox with ublock because i hate their speed dial.

Can you please not request support for ad blocking, given that it costs a lot of money to provide you and others this service, and Neowin is just being compliant.

• 7 months later...

I see this is still a problem now. Two or three times a day I get this popping up on Chrome android. Neowin is the only Qauntcast site that I visit that seems to have this problem.

Whether I reject all, accept all or accept all and turn the sliders off it'll still pop up at random. Definitely not right.

5 minutes ago, Bat123 said:

I see this is still a problem now. Two or three times a day I get this popping up on Chrome android. Neowin is the only Qauntcast site that I visit that seems to have this problem.

Whether I reject all, accept all or accept all and turn the sliders off it'll still pop up at random. Definitely not right.

Steven may be able to provide some confirmation, but I think if you're browsing the site as a guest you'll see the pop up each time you visit. 

If you've signed up, you should only see it if there are any changes to our advertisers. 

Let us know if you still see the issue now that you've signed up :)

36 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

Steven may be able to provide some confirmation, but I think if you're browsing the site as a guest you'll see the pop up each time you visit. 

If you've signed up, you should only see it if there are any changes to our advertisers. 

Let us know if you still see the issue now that you've signed up :)

Ahh, thank you. If signing in fixes the problem I think that's ok. I was more befuddled than anything but I appreciate the tip and will update if needed.

• Like 1

This will only popup each time if you are clearing cookies or using the site in Private mode (such as incognito on Chrome). I believe the cookie times out after 30 days or it might be longer. It doesn't matter if you are signed in not, the GDPR seeks cookie consent and sets a cookie itself, so that it won't bug you each time you visit the site, so again I think your cookie/ad blocking are set too strict..

Hi,

It's still happening sadly. I never clear cookies and I don't actually use ad blocking on my phone or tablet nor do I go incognito which I could understand. Neowin is one of the few sites I actually whitelist on my PC.

I'd recently factory rest my Nvidia K1 and it's just a basic install there at the moment but still happening. Every 30 days would be fine, but it does bug you when it happens more than once a day.

I've never had to use Quantcast on a site before so I won't pretend to know how to implement it. But I just find it odd that it just seems to be Neowin I have the issue with.

I shall have to dig into Chrome settings and see if there is something there perhaps or try another mobile browser. We shall see...

edit: thank you for the reply though

If it was happening to everyone multiple times a day I would be getting many more reports, but this is literally the only thread of a couple of people getting it, which indicates to me not a Neowin problem. But I would like to know if you are able to track down why it is happening.

I appreciate what you are saying in feeling it's not a Neowin issue, whereas the information/evidence I have suggests it is.

It's an odd little quirk wherever the problem lies. If I figure out I will certainly update as I like a challenge.

3 minutes ago, Bat123 said:

I appreciate what you are saying in feeling it's not a Neowin issue, whereas the information/evidence I have suggests it is.

It's an odd little quirk wherever the problem lies. If I figure out I will certainly update as I like a challenge.

Thanks a lot! :)

Ugh I can confirm the consent script code was placed twice in the mobile global header (main news site) I have removed the dupe one) if this was it, then I apologize!

• 1 month later...
On 2/22/2019 at 10:50 AM, Steven P. said:

Ugh I can confirm the consent script code was placed twice in the mobile global header (main news site) I have removed the dupe one) if this was it, then I apologize!

Well I started playing around with settings in Chrome. Thought to myself I'll give it a little time. Been busy, but the only thing I turned on was do not track. It's only happening a couple of times a week now so I think more realistically it's your fix that has sorted it. No need to apologise, it's a big site, so you would expect things to happen on occasion. 

Thanks for having another look though.