Bad RAM after 4 years?

I have an Asus notebook in which I installed 4 years ago 16 GB RAM.

I now get several BSOD’s with windows.com/stopcode and MEMORY_MANAGEMENT errors.

My notebook has been used intensively the last couple of years.

Windows Memory Management says ‘No errors detected’, but still am I getting these BSOD’s ?

Can it be bad RAM and do I need to replace it? Or might there be some other cause?

3 minutes ago, CrashGordon said:

Run Memtest from a bootable cd or flashdrive and see what it says.

EDIT: get the free version

THIS! You won't know it's bad until you scan it.

16 minutes ago, CrashGordon said:

Run Memtest from a bootable cd or flashdrive and see what it says.

EDIT: get the free version

This x2...

29 minutes ago, kiddingguy said:

I have an Asus notebook in which I installed 4 years ago 16 GB RAM.

I now get several BSOD’s with windows.com/stopcode and MEMORY_MANAGEMENT errors.

My notebook has been used intensively the last couple of years.

Windows Memory Management says ‘No errors detected’, but still am I getting these BSOD’s ?

Can it be bad RAM and do I need to replace it? Or might there be some other cause?

It can be many things, but running a scan will remove the bad memory assumption out of the equation.

DO you have Win 7 or 10?

Windows assign resources such as IRQs automatically and on some occasions when you manually install a HW device or a driver a conflict can occur, so check for that too, or try restoring your system from an earlier restoration point if you have one.

21 minutes ago, Jason S. said:

remove one of the DIMMs and see if it boots. swap and repeat.

Actually, that won't do anything... That only checks for bad RAM stick, not its innards.

10 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Actually, that won't do anything... That only checks for bad RAM stick, not its innards.

that's the point. check for bad RAM...

2 minutes ago, Jason S. said:

that's the point. check for bad RAM...

RAM can be bad, but still usable.

There is a memtest that you can use...you generally have to let it run for a while (sometimes is comes up fast, sometimes it comes up overnight).  

https://www.lifewire.com/free-memory-test-programs-2626178

Pick one, download the iso, test for 8-10 hours....if nothing comes up within that time, the guts are fine.

Bad memory could allow the system to boot, bad memory could be heat related (cold boot is fine, but once it warms up enough it cannot process any more information).  That is why memory testers like this exist.  I have had a few server sticks go bad, but it allowed to boot..6hrs after boot, the tests showed up red (red is bad). 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sc302 said:

There is a memtest that you can use...you generally have to let it run for a while (sometimes is comes up fast, sometimes it comes up overnight).  

https://www.lifewire.com/free-memory-test-programs-2626178

Pick one, download the iso, test for 8-10 hours....if nothing comes up within that time, the guts are fine.

Bad memory could allow the system to boot, bad memory could be heat related (cold boot is fine, but once it warms up enough it cannot process any more information).  That is why memory testers like this exist.  I have had a few server sticks go bad, but it allowed to boot..6hrs after boot, the tests showed up red (red is bad). 

Just get memtest, it's tested and good.

No errors were found on MemTest86. Kinda strange.

I'll keep an eye on it, and maybe get myself some new RAM when/if needed....

EDIT:

What is the average lifespan of these RAM sticks - Kingston PC3-12800H (twice KHX1600C9S3L/8G)  in my case?

Edited by kiddingguy

How many passes did you do?   One isn’t good enough.   If you ran in in the amount of time between me posting what to do and you posting it didn’t find anything, you didn’t perform the test properly.  It must run for hours for a valid test to be conducted. 

5 minutes ago, sc302 said:

How many passes did you do?   One isn’t good enough.   If you ran in in the amount of time between me posting what to do and you posting it didn’t find anything, you didn’t perform the test properly.  It must run for hours for a valid test to be conducted. 

in total almost 4 hourish of several tests.

Did you perhaps try checking a single stick with memtest? Sometimes with such a large volume, it can miss stuff.

It could be something in Windows is just screwed up. Could you try a clean install, or boot up with a Linux Live CD and see if it has any issues.

I just upgraded to their latest Windows 10 April update. Might have something to do with this?!

12 minutes ago, kiddingguy said:

I just upgraded to their latest Windows 10 April update. Might have something to do with this?!

Totally. A lot of people have had different problems with the latest build.

17 minutes ago, kiddingguy said:

It's very possible, a web search for "Windows 10" and "Memory Management Error" turns up a lot of results.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rigby said:

It's very possible, a web search for "Windows 10" and "Memory Management Error" turns up a lot of results.

Not good. Hopefully Microsoft will fix this soon...

11 hours ago, kiddingguy said:

What is the average lifespan of these RAM sticks - Kingston PC3-12800H (twice KHX1600C9S3L/8G)  in my case?

Usually RAM does not age. Kingston is relatively good.

BSOD can be bad drivers (had any updates recently?) or other components.

Where is your Virtual Memory - SSD / HDD? are those drives working well and have they enough free space?

You can use CrystalInfo to chech the SSD/HDD health.

You could also specify what do you mean by intesive use - is it 24x7 word processing or video editing?

Ok, I read all the posts. Most probably it is Windows April Update.

However if you have SSD and you do intensive video editing then it would be worth checking its life expectancy (CrystalInfo). 

Also I hope you have enough free space on system disk.

Think of it like this.  RAM is made of sand.  Cooked to absolute perfect conditions.   Shaped with light.  Baked into a mold a thousand times over and over.  Expected to function perfectly for many years at 100% usage without failure.   

Most do

Some do not

All it takes is 01 bits to flip and its junk.  

It's magic 

Hello,

Have you checked with Asus to make sure you have the latest UEFI (BIOS) firmware installed in the Asus N750JV notebook computer?  Also, do you have the latest version of your anti-malware software installed (and have verified that it is compatible with Windows 10 Version 1803)?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky