• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

PC is a bit noisy - reviewing the cooling setup

johnporter29    91

Hi There,

I have a I7 7700K setup with a R9 390 VGA card (full spec in my signature). This is all encased in a Corsair Air 540 case. However, it's a bit noisy when running and even worse after a little gaming. So I want to review my cooling setup, see if I could perhap's remove a couple of fans. I have attached a pic of the fan setup below:

What I am asking is:

1. Would I be better replacing the Corsair H75 with a Corsair H100x/i, replacing the 2 top fans with this, and placing a single fan at the back

or

2. Could I remove either the top or front 2 fans altogether?

3. Is the airflow (indicated with the red arrows) okay?

I have had no issues in regards of the temperature etc .... just want to try and make it a bit quieter.

Thanks in advance.

air-540-cooling.jpg

Mindovermaster    1,341

Your fan layout looks fine.

Of course the fans are going to spin up during gaming. It's supposed to...

I would look at getting better/quieter fans. I'm not a fan guy, so I can't recommend anything. :(

• Thanks 1

sc302    1,497

If going liquid cooling to help keep things cool, go with the 115i or the newer 150i....you can run them on low and still over clock that processor if that is where the excess noise is coming from....

stop the fans for a second to determine where most of your noise is coming from.  

FYI...corsair recommends sucking external air onto the cooler fins vs blowing potential hot air from in the case over the cooler, which would reverse the air flow of your rear fan/cooler or if you get the larger cooler would reverse the fans above.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

johnporter29    91

@Mindovermaster 

I appreciate that the fans will spin up during gaming - it's not that I hear them while I gaming - it's after I finish I hear them and in general use, just seems a little loud.

@sc302

The H75 is a liquid color - the radiator is sandwiched between the 2 fans at the back of the case.

I will try and find out the nosiest fans and see about getting quieter ones...

Mindovermaster    1,341
16 minutes ago, johnporter29 said:

@sc302

The H75 is a liquid color - the radiator is sandwiched between the 2 fans at the back of the case.

I will try and find out the nosiest fans and see about getting quieter ones...

I don't think the cooler is the problem, it just is the fans. As john says, his temps are good. You can replace those fans ;)

18 minutes ago, johnporter29 said:

I appreciate that the fans will spin up during gaming - it's not that I hear them while I gaming - it's after I finish I hear them and in general use, just seems a little loud.

It takes them a few minutes to quiet down. As your GPU is still running hot after an intense GFX game. Give it 5-10 minutes, you'll notice it running at a lower speed. ;)

• Thanks 1

techbeck    5,893

Airflow looks good in the pic but can only tell so much from it.  Airflow can be limited by internal components.  Cables, video card, and other components can block and/or limit airflow if they are not run properly inside the case.  But since there was no temp readings listed here, I am not sure if temp/airflow is an issue.

With that said, replace the fans.  Sounds like maybe the bearing are going bad on a few.  Some PSUs also have removable fans so if the PSU is causing the noise, may need to open that and replace the fan. 

• Thanks 1

johnporter29    91
Posted (edited)

@techbeck

Temp/Airflow is not an issue at all - I'm simply looking at making the system quieter as it has 6 fans in total ......

Euphoria    1,061
Posted (edited)

For low noise cooling, I use only Noctua fans, quiet and effective.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

techbeck    5,893
58 minutes ago, johnporter29 said:

@techbeck

Temp/Airflow is not an issue at all - I'm simply looking at making the system quieter as it has 6 fans in total ......

Then I would try new fans. Quicker and cheaper than cooling it with water. You could also put on headphones and play your music / games really loud... 😋

• Thanks 1

Jim K    9,997

With respect to the fan layout ... you could unplug the top two fans ... see how you like it (temps/noise).  On my rig I do not have any top fans .. just two 120's pulling in and two 120's pushing air out the back (with the rad in between them).  My temps are fine and the noise is acceptable.

If still a bit noisy (with the top fans unplugged) ... replace the front fans with some Noctua's (as been suggested) or other low db fans.  Still noisy ,.. replace the rad fans with low db ones.  Still noisy ... unplug it from the wall.

• Thanks 1

sc302    1,497

I have 9 fans

3 gpu

2 processor

2 front

1 rear

1 psu

2 front suck air in, 2 cpu suck air in on quiet, 1 rear blows air out, 3 gpu never come on because gpu never heats up enough for them to,  psu is the only audible fan. 

Looks something like this

161433d1509471523t-next-kraken-x62-corsa

• Thanks 1

johnporter29    91

Ok Guys, many thanks for the tips and suggestions.

Will look at getting some low db fans as per suggestion. Will also look at @Jim K suggestion too.

+DevTech    1,173
On 5/17/2018 at 11:30 AM, sc302 said:

If going liquid cooling to help keep things cool, go with the 115i or the newer 150i....you can run them on low and still over clock that processor if that is where the excess noise is coming from....

stop the fans for a second to determine where most of your noise is coming from.  

FYI...corsair recommends sucking external air onto the cooler fins vs blowing potential hot air from in the case over the cooler, which would reverse the air flow of your rear fan/cooler or if you get the larger cooler would reverse the fans above.

Yes, MOST PEOPLE get this wrong.

The air outside the case is cooler than the air inside the case (unless you see the Pyramids through your window)

For the the major heat sources, CPU and GPU you want to blow cool air from outside the case into the case.

This warms other stuff inside the case of course but it just doesn't matter.

For the OP:

1. Disconnect the two top fans, they are a noisy waste.

2. Then reverse the radiator fans. If you have room behind the computer you can even cut out the screen where they are mounted to allow easy routing of the pipes and just mount them on the outside of the case in the same mounting holes.

3. Depending on the location of your hard drives you can remove one of the front fans perhaps.

4. If you have a fan mount spot on the side panel, sometimes it is just right to blow cool air on the GPU.