Santa Fe High School shooting

At least 8 killed in Santa Fe High School shooting

ANTA FE, Texas (KTRK) -- 

Law enforcement sources confirm to ABC13 at least 8 people are dead following a shooting inside Santa Fe High School.

A suspect is in custody. According to law enforcement agencies, it appears the shooter is a student.

The school district just issued the following statement: "This morning an incident occurred at the high school involving an active shooter. The situation is active, but has been contained. There have been confirmed injuries. Details will be released as we receive updated information. Law enforcement will continue to secure the building and initiate all emergency management protocols to release and move students to another location. All other campuses are operating under their regular schedules.
At this time, students from the high school are being transported by SFISD transportation to the Alamo Gym located at 13306 Highway 6. Parents may reunite with their students at this location.
The district will continue to keep you updated as information is available. Safety and communication are our top priorities."

Witnesses say the shooting took place in an art class on campus between 7:30 and 7:45 a.m.

Santa Fe Police, Galveston County Sheriff's Office, ATF and FBI agents have all responded to the school at 16000 Highway 6.

Students were earlier lined up outside the school, and their backpacks were taken up by law enforcement.

http://abc13.com/live-coverage-at-least-8-killed-in-santa-fe-hs-shooting/3490869/

Edited by Mockingbird

Something almost happened in a town 45min away from me.  But the school officer saw the guy, confronted him, exchanged fire, and ran after him.  Office ended up hitting shooting the guy and the guy got arrested.  The shooter did not expect another person to be armed in a no gun zone.  Believe the guy had a hand gun.

16 minutes ago, techbeck said:

Something almost happened in a town 45min away from me.  But the school officer saw the guy, confronted him, exchanged fire, and ran after him.  Office ended up hitting shooting the guy and the guy got arrested.  The shooter did not expect another person to be armed in a no gun zone.  Believe the guy had a hand gun.

...probably one of the dumbest things I've every heard

If you attended the school, you would already know whether it has a security resource office or not.

People really need to find a proper way to deal with their issues/grievances/whatever.  Turning to a firearm just because you are too infantile to have healthy coping skills, ugh, for shame on all these shooters.

10 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

...probably one of the dumbest things I've every heard

If you attended the school, you would already know whether it has a security resource office or not.

Scuse me? 

Texas attorney general says "thoughts and prayers of all Texans" are with Santa Fe

That's all Republicans ever say: "thoughts and prayers", "thoughts and prayers", "thoughts and prayers"

1 minute ago, techbeck said:

Scuse me? 

You should re-read

1 minute ago, Mockingbird said:

Texas attorney general says "thoughts and prayers of all Texans" are with Santa Fe

That's all Republicans ever say: "thoughts and prayers", "thoughts and prayers", "thoughts and prayers"

You should re-read

Was meant to ask to clarify what you said and your dumb comment.  The issue close to me was a former student and may or may not have known about the Officer on duty.  

4 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

What do you want them to do? Burn someone at the stake?

Do you have a better way of detecting crazy people?

I know there are some developments in video analytics and AI to detect suspicious behavior and alert first responders, but it will take a while to get deployed to every school and city...

7 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

As apposed to what?  The Dems saying they will do something and never follow through or banning things without getting to the root of the issue?

7 minutes ago, Euphoria said:

What do you want them to do? Burn someone at the stake?

Do you have a better way of detecting crazy people?

I know there are some developments in video analytics and AI to detect suspicious behavior and alert first responders, but it will take a while to get deployed to every school and city...

What if there were people that actually have the authority to change the laws?

I know it's a very new concept.

• Like 3

Sadly, just another school shooting in the United States. Unfortunately, nothing will change once the storm blows over. Too many selfish people on all sides of this problem.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JHBrown said:

Sadly, just another school shooting in the United States. Unfortunately, nothing will change once the storm blows over. There are selfish people on all sides of this problem we have.

I would rather understand the problem before starting to change things.  If you do not understand the root cause of all these males, not females, doing these mass shootings, then you are just putting a band-aid on the problem and things will heat up again in a different way.

11 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

What if there were people that actually have the authority to change the laws?

I know it's a very new concept.

Change the law to what?

I am not sure how another law will stop crazies from hurting other people, unless you do a psych. evaluation to whole population and lock up everyone that does not meat the baseline for normal behavior.

12 minutes ago, techbeck said:

I would rather understand the problem before starting to change things.  If you do not understand the root cause of all these males, not females, doing these mass shootings, then you are just putting a band-aid on the problem and things will heat up again in a different way.

I normally don't get involved in these discussions, because there's way too much I don't understand about the US laws, culture and politics to make a meaningful contribution :p

I 100% agree with you, the root cause needs to be known before anything meaningful happens, but we can't sit by doing nothing until that happens. 

Also, understand that these topics will always go a little off topic naturally, but let's try and keep on topic as much as humanely possible :p We have a separate thread re. guns

4 minutes ago, Euphoria said:

Change the law to what?

I am not sure how another law will stop crazies from hurting other people, unless you do a psych. evaluation to whole population and lock up everyone that does not meat the baseline for normal behavior.

Exactly, are we just going to pass another law that makes this even "more illegal"??

5 minutes ago, Euphoria said:

Change the law to what?

It can't, but it can can certainly limit the damages.

For example, if Nikolas Cruz only had a revolver, fewer people would have died.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dipsylalapo said:

I normally don't get involved in these discussions, because there's way too much I don't understand about the US laws, culture and politics to make a meaningful contribution ?

I 100% agree with you, the root cause needs to be known before anything meaningful happens, but we can't sit by doing nothing until that happens. 

At least let's wait to see what laws he violated first, other than the obvious murder, to see where there might be holes.  Sounds like he used a shotgun, so the AR-15 wasn't the boogeyman this time.  Were the guns his, stolen/borrowed from a family member?  Does he have a record, is he mental, we need to wait for those answers.

Sadly, these shootings will continue to happen until students like this are given proper help and preventing them from even going on a rampage and even getting a weapon. 

There are some laws that can be passed now to prevent some of these, the rest is an issue with society that we need to help fix

I believe it's about people being crazy/stupid and the news almost half assed glorifying these things. Maybe if we didn't hear about this for the next couple days so repeatedly, it wouldn't get engraved into all the crazy/stupid people's heads?

Just my thought, but in today's world with all the idiots out there, the news itself is partially to blame. I know laws aren't going to do anything about it though.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, cork1958 said:

I believe it's about people being crazy/stupid and the news almost half assed glorifying these things. Maybe if we didn't hear about this for the next couple days so repeatedly, it wouldn't get engraved into all the crazy/stupid people's heads?

Just my thought, but in today's world with all the idiots out there, the news itself is partially to blame. I know laws aren't going to do anything about it though.

They don't give a damn until someone they love died.

9 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

We should then apply that same logic to DUIs, which by the way, kill far more people. How about cigarettes???

10 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

Look your intention is right, but there is no way of preventing illegal gun purchases. Unless you are able to get rid off all fire arms in the world... and then someone will still find a way to inflict damage and pain through other means.

Terrorist in Paris, Nice, New York, Barcelona...... a driver of a motor vehicle killed multiple people without using a firearm... point being is not the fire arm thats the issue but the crazy person holding it/sitting behind the wheel.

This about this article:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/london-murder-rate-new-york-compare-worse-stabbings-knife-crime-teenagers-statistics-figures-a8286866.html

"The Sunday Times compared the crime figures of London and New York, and found that for the first time in modern history the murder rate in the UK capital was higher than that in the Big Apple."

Think about that people, the UK where they essentially banned guns has a higher murder rate in a major city than NYC.

By the way, I dare anyone to claim that the Independent is even remotely conservative. They are quite liberal in their reporting, there are just some inescapable facts that cannot be hidden or covered up.

• Like 2