Santa Fe High School shooting

Who is Dimitrios Pagourtzis, suspect in the Santa Fe High School attack?

https://www.ajc.com/news/national/texas-shooting-who-dimitrios-pagourtzis-suspect-the-santa-high-school-attack/TgsQw37PdCk3GM8QuLvcfI/

Here is what we know about Pagourtzis:

He was wearing “trenchcoat and big boots,” according to a student who said he saw the shooter. Police have not confirmed what he was wearing.

He is 17 years old.

He was injured in the attack.

He is in the 11th grade at Santa Fe High School.

He threw pipe bombs into some classrooms, witnesses say. Devices were found in and around the school, officials said.

The weapon Pagourtzis used was described as a shotgun by witnesses, but police have not confirmed that.

Law enforcement says a pressure cooker with an explosive device was found at the scene.

A Facebook page under the same name as Pagourtzis, has been taken down.

A witness said students and coaches at the school would bully Pagourtzis and “call him names.”

3 minutes ago, techbeck said:

There is a gun discussion thread people.  So talk about gun laws there please. 

The problem needs to be understood before it can be solved.  Again, something is going on with young males that is triggering them to go out and commit crimes.  Been done with all sorts of weapons and the mental health issues needs to be addressed but no on wants to take the time, effort, and money to address them.  Start by looking at broken homes and kids up bringing.

I think it comes down to a lack of father in the homes and this constant barrage of anti male propaganda that's been going on for the last few years. Toxic male masculinity and all that ######. Then couple that with bullying which is nearly impossible to get away from now because it literally follows them into their homes which should be their one safe space but isn't now..

Ironically Jordan B Peterson who has done more for teenage males than just about everyone else in the US combined gets demonized and attacked for putting his message out there. It's really baffling.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, techbeck said:

There is a gun discussion thread people.  So talk about gun laws there please.

These topics go hand in hand, you can't discuss the full scope of events that occurred without it. Tired of people deflecting this discussion either due to it not being "the right time" or somehow thinking that gun control shouldn't somehow materialize out of a school shooting.

• Like 1

Just now, trag3dy said:

I think it comes down to a lack of father in the homes and this constant barrage of anti male propaganda that's been going on for the last few years. Toxic male masculinity and all that ######. Then couple that with bullying which is nearly impossible to get away from now because it literally follows them into their homes which should be their one safe space but isn't now..

Ironically Jordan B Peterson who has done more for teenage males than just about everyone else in the US combined gets demonized and attacked for putting his message out there. It's really baffling.

Starts in the home, I agree.  And looks like this guy was out to do a lot more damage.  Pipe bombs were apparently tossed in classrooms as well as a pressure cooker with explosives.

Just now, shockz said:

These topics go hand in hand, you can't discuss the full scope of events that occurred without it. Tired of people deflecting this discussion either due to it not being "the right time" or somehow thinking that gun control shouldn't somehow materialize out of a school shooting.

We already have gun control though. What we don't have is people actually enforcing gun control laws though.

Which I think would be a good place to start. If we can't/don't enforce the laws we already have then what good are more going to do?

47 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

100% agree with what you have said. Growing up I was the same way, afraid of the consequences for misbehaving and not only from my parents but just adults in general. There was a level of respect that I needed to show, to even strangers, because they were adults and we should respect that. These days, not so much and it boils down to parenting. Like you said, parents are afraid to parent because someone will record them and say child abuse. I see it all the time at one of my jobs that I have with a Children's Hospital. Kids will lash out and be downright turds, only to have a phone or tablet shoved in their face to keep them quiet. Kids are growing up desensitized and dont seem to have a heart or conscious.

I can not agree more with you and JHBrown. My dad would have kicked my ass if I did something stupid... New PC culture and liberals are always pushing agendas of minority cases to mass population.

Beacause of small percentage of cases where lunatic parents were beating the ###### out of their kids, now disciplining and raising the voice to your kids is unacceptable behavior.

Kid's feelings are apparently more fragile than porcelain glasses and we need to guard them by building them safe spaces and giving them participation medals.... and the first chance their feelings get hurt, they do not know how to handle it so they go on a killing spree.... lack of emotional maturity.....

I know its a different topic but it's the same methodology that is destroying our society... with the recent transgender Hollywood/liberal left PR campaign. According to Williams Institute estimated 0.3 percent of US population is identifying as transgender. Lets say the numbers are three times that.. it would still not make is more than 1%, but they are selling us their behavior as a normal thing, and they are forcing us to pretend that Jenner, biologically male, is apparently female, just because he says so. 

Girls can be boys and boys girls... with a single swipe of the surgical knife and a shitload of hormonal inducing medications... /end rant..... ?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, trag3dy said:

We already have gun control though. What we don't have is people actually enforcing gun control laws though.

Which I think would be a good place to start. If we can't/don't enforce the laws we already have then what good are more going to do?

Can't argue with that, however i'm willing to bet that these guns weren't registered to him (being a minor) and their owner should be severely reprimanded for allowing them to get into the hands of a minor, having them unsecured, etc etc etc. People would be far more inclined to keep their possessions in check if they knew they'd be facing serious jail time and fines for misplacing them or not securing them, half these school shootings wouldn't occur had these kids not had access to their parents ammo/guns.

1 minute ago, shockz said:

Can't argue with that, however i'm willing to bet that these guns weren't registered to him (being a minor) and their owner should be severely reprimanded for allowing them to get into the hands of a minor, having them unsecured, etc etc etc. People would be far more inclined to keep their possessions in check if they knew they'd be facing serious jail time for misplacing them or not securing them. 

Can't say I disagree with anything you said.

5 minutes ago, Euphoria said:

I know its a different topic but it's the same methodology that is destroying our society... with the recent transgender Hollywood/liberal left PR campaign. According to Williams Institute estimated 0.3 percent of US population is identifying as transgender. Lets say the numbers are three times that.. it would still not make is more than 1%, but they are selling us their behavior as a normal thing, and they are forcing us to pretend that Jenner, biologically male, is apparently female, just because he says so. 

Girls can be boys and boys girls... with a single swipe of the surgical knife and a shitload of hormonal inducing medications... /end rant..... ?

It never ceases to amaze me how conservatives manages to bring in their favorite bugaboo... transgendered/lgbt issues into almost any discussion.

• Like 2

Come on all, as I've said previously and as a few others have pointed out this is not a thread for gun discussion/debate. 

We have on here, stay on topic or this topic will be locked. 

5 minutes ago, techbeck said:

Starts in the home, I agree.  And looks like this guy was out to do a lot more damage.  Pipe bombs were apparently tossed in classrooms as well as a pressure cooker with explosives.

There were some insta gram pictures of this kids which I'm not sure are real or not, but if they are this kid looks like he's a real psychopath. In them he has a picture of a shirt that says "born to kill".

And if this is true then I really don't know how this shooting would have been preventable, even with complete removal of guns from society. Because as you said it seems like he had a back up plan to cause more damage.

Talks about a possible accomplice as well.  Not sure how accurate this is as accomplice have been mentioned in other incidents but ended up being nothing.

1 minute ago, trag3dy said:

There were some insta gram pictures of this kids which I'm not sure are real or not, but if they are this kid looks like he's a real psychopath. In them he has a picture of a shirt that says "born to kill".

And if this is true then I really don't know how this shooting would have been preventable, even with complete removal of guns from society. Because as you said it seems like he had a back up plan to cause more damage.

https://metro.co.uk/2018/05/18/santa-fe-shooting-suspect-student-dimitrios-pagourtzis-wore-born-kill-t-shirt-7558129/

Just lucky the bombs didnt go off.

Texas high school shooting suspect identified

The Texas student arrested for gunning down 10 people at his high school Friday is a 17-year-old named Dimitrios Pagourtzis, according to CBS News.

Officials haven’t officially released his name, but law enforcement sources tell the Associated Press and other outlets that Pagourtzis is the suspect they have in custody.

https://nypost.com/2018/05/18/texas-high-school-shooting-suspect-identified/

Just now, trag3dy said:

trag3dy - Why do you think I mentioned the mental-health issue in school districts, sir?  It has been the obvious factor in EVERY school shooting - including Sandy Hook.  (In the case of Santa Fe, it was mentioned from the jump - at the presser itself - from the ISD POV.)  The school districts (regardless of size) know it - Maryland doesn't do ISDs; school districts are countywide or municipal.  The same issue exists.)  The communities know it.  However, despite this being a decades-old issue (I mentioned it being an issue simultaneously with the "anti-warehousing" efforts under Presidents from Nixon to Reagan), it got ignored at the decision-making level.

2 minutes ago, techbeck said:

We know, and already been posted.

I didn't refresh the page when the previous comment was made.

15 minutes ago, shockz said:

It never ceases to amaze me how conservatives manages to bring in their favorite bugaboo... transgendered/lgbt issues into almost any discussion.

It is a trend of government screwing up our kids and then being dumbfounded about how we got where we are....

2 minutes ago, Euphoria said:

It is a trend of government screwing up our kids and then being dumbfounded about how we got where we are....

Parents are screwing up the kids.  But what do you mean by the gov?

5 minutes ago, Euphoria said:

Except of course what you're talking about has nothing do to with mass shootings. Kids with mental issues (i.e anger, violence, suppressed abuse, etc...) see the blueprints of other school shootings and plan their own. It has nothing to do with liberals/lgbt/etc... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ncoday said:

The second amendment was not written just for protecting one's home & family. Think about it, think about why the founders put gun ownership so high in the bill of rights?

They wanted to ensure everyone had the ability to protect themselves should the government become abusive of their power

It's actually all of the above.  

US Supreme Court, DC vs Heller,  554 U.S. 570 (2008)

The "within the home" language reflects the states primacy over carrying a weapon outside the home, which the vast majority of states regulate to varying degrees.  See 10th Amendment, 14th Amendment etc. and that almost all states recognize other states concealed carry permits under "reciprocity" agreements.

(1) The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home. 

(a) The Amendment’s prefatory clause announces a purpose, but does not limit or expand the scope of the second part, the operative clause. The operative clause’s text and history demonstrate that it connotes an individual right to keep and bear arms. 

(b) The prefatory clause comports with the Court’s interpretation of the operative clause. The “militia” comprised all males physically capable of acting in concert for the common defense. The Antifederalists feared that the Federal Government would disarm the people in order to disable this citizens’ militia, enabling a politicized standing army or a select militia to rule. The response was to deny Congress power to abridge the ancient right of individuals to keep and bear arms, so that the ideal of a citizens’ militia would be preserved. 

(c) The Court’s interpretation is confirmed by analogous arms-bearing rights in state constitutions that preceded and immediately followed the Second Amendment. 

>

Edited by DocM

5 hours ago, ncoday said:

Kinda funny you would say that, considering over 600,000 children were murdered by abortion in 2014!

https://www.cdc.gov/reproductivehealth/data_stats/abortion.htm

No-one seems to have a problem with those lives lost.

What a bizarre response. "I don't care about people murdered in those mass shootings because some other people did something else"