Chrome "not responding" upon startup, then is OK.

My OS is Win 7. Scans show I'm free of viruses and malware. 

I boot up and after a minute or two go to Chrome, which used to be my best browser. It often works at first, allowing me to go to my bookmarked email server, but it soon freezes up with the program indicated as "not responding." It stays like that for a minute or two, then resumes working normally. I've cleared the cache, history, cookies, etc. - this does not help. I could find no relevant advice in Chrome itself. The problem appears to be getting worse. Advice from those here more knowledgeable than myself (probably most of you) would be greatly appreciated! ☺

• 1 month later...
On 5/20/2018 at 9:12 AM, Howard Davis said:

My OS is Win 7. Scans show I'm free of viruses and malware. 

I boot up and after a minute or two go to Chrome, which used to be my best browser. It often works at first, allowing me to go to my bookmarked email server, but it soon freezes up with the program indicated as "not responding." It stays like that for a minute or two, then resumes working normally. I've cleared the cache, history, cookies, etc. - this does not help. I could find no relevant advice in Chrome itself. The problem appears to be getting worse. Advice from those here more knowledgeable than myself (probably most of you) would be greatly appreciated! ☺

Disable all your extensions and try it out.