• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Can I plug a network cable from a TP-Link TL-PA4010 Powerline Adaptor into a Network Switch?

Question

ady199    7

Hi Guys,

Can I plug a network cable from a TP-Link TL-PA4010 Powerline Adaptor into a Network Switch?

I then want to connect my TV, PS4, Mac, PC etc etc to the switch.

(Router is downstairs and the wifi in my bedroom is shocking)

Thanks in advance

3 answers to this question

Ready2018    41

Yes you can, but all the devices connected to the switch will be sharing the bandwidth from the powerline adapter

+BudMan    3,425

Yes the bandwidth would be shared, just like it would be if you ran the cable from 1 switch to another switch..

Your solution is to bring wired network connectivity to another room via powerline is very valid..   Keep in mind that the interface on that device you mention is only 10/100

https://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-5509_TL-PA4010.html#specifications

"1*10/100Mbps Ethernet Port"

So at best you could ever see is about 95mbps.. Which would be a shared uplink.. Depending on what these devices are talking to on the rest of your network, and or your internet speed you might want to look for newer model that supports gig.

Keep in mind that even a gig model would be limited to speed that is capable over your home power lines.. Which can vary significantly from home to home, etc.

• Like 2

Mando    5,117
48 minutes ago, BudMan said:

Yes the bandwidth would be shared, just like it would be if you ran the cable from 1 switch to another switch..

Your solution is to bring wired network connectivity to another room via powerline is very valid..   Keep in mind that the interface on that device you mention is only 10/100

https://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-5509_TL-PA4010.html#specifications

"1*10/100Mbps Ethernet Port"

So at best you could ever see is about 95mbps.. Which would be a shared uplink.. Depending on what these devices are talking to on the rest of your network, and or your internet speed you might want to look for newer model that supports gig.

Keep in mind that even a gig model would be limited to speed that is capable over your home power lines.. Which can vary significantly from home to home, etc.

Yep, I use their 1200 rated ones to do exactly what OP asked. the TPLink 100mbit port ones will max out well below 95Mbit.

And as Budman pointed out, while its very quick, they max out well below Gb speeds of a dedicated length of cat5.

but overall they get my 2 thumbs up over any wifi any day :)