• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

GMail Alternative

Mindovermaster    1,524
Posted (edited)

I have an old email account that I use to sign up at bogus sites.

But, it has now been stolen. I can't get back its password.

Frankly, I am tired of GMail...

I heard there are other email services out there free/paid that are better than GMail. Throw it at me, guys! (and gals)

Zagadka    3,716

Well, it is usually a matter of taste, but try Outlook? I prefer it to Gmail.

• Like 1

Brandon H    2,095

I prefer outlook mainly for its Exchange ActiveSync protocol; it works much better than POP3 or IMAP when using an Email program.

Sadly MS hasn't opened up the protocol to 3rd party yet so only MS Outlook and the MS Mail apps work with it.

back on subject though there really isn't great alternatives right now; GMail and Outlook have kind of dominated the email market.

• Like 1

+warwagon    12,139

Not really sure how someone gets tired of an email service. It's for email, that's all.

• Like 2

Zagadka    3,716

Well, you can get tired of the online interface. If you're looking for an online client, yea, you have pretty much no options. But you can try using a software client... 

<random> Anyone remember Juno?

Mindovermaster    1,524
Just now, Zagadka said:

Well, you can get tired of the online interface. If you're looking for an online client, yea, you have pretty much no options. But you can try using a software client... 

<random> Anyone remember Juno?

Juno I do remember in fact. We used that back in the dial-up days...

Xenon    3,154

Proton Mail

• Like 1

techbeck    6,457
Posted (edited)

So your account got stolen and that was enough to make you dislike GMAIL?  This can, and probably does, happen on most, if not all, other services.  Protect your account better and you will not have a problem.

With that said, I use GMAIL mainly since I have Android devices.  Tho, I registered an Outlook account when I could to reserve my name.  I use this account on XBOX and MS services.

+warwagon    12,139

I love Gmail and my 8 Gmail address :D

InsaneNutter    1,155

If your going to change email provider then you might as well use your own domain. That way you are in total control of your own email address and can switch to a different email provider any time you wish, keeping the same email address.

I use my own domain and Office 365's Exchange Online Plan 1 for my email hosting.

Personally I think the Exchange web interface is far better than anything else out there, however never really have any reason to use it. I use Outlook on my desktop and Nine as my email client on Android. You could try Hiri if you want an Exchange compatible Linux desktop client.

I like Exchange as it syncs Inbox, Calendar and Contacts really well between devices, you can set some pretty advanced server side rules to filter your email as it hits your inbox. I have various domains / aliases all coming in to one inbox.

Zagadka    3,716

The problem that happens with some people is having their address change. This happened a lot with colleges and student mail... graduated and lost every account login (I'm sure they have some forwarding system now). I keep my own server, too, and it is a good idea in general, but people don't remember it as easily as they do @gmail.com or whatnot... and hard to be completely anonymous without going and making accounts on gmail or outlook.com anyway.

Jazmac    1,599

On the phone, I've been using this app called Edison Mail. It works on IOS and Android.  Lightning quick and has extra security features you might find worthwhile.  And its free with NO ads. I think its well done. Not sure if it has desktop support.

Jazmac    1,599
24 minutes ago, warwagon said:

I love Gmail and my 8 Gmail address :D

8 Addresses?   Lots of "burner" addresses eh?  /s

+warwagon    12,139
33 minutes ago, Jazmac said:

8 Addresses?   Lots of "burner" addresses eh?  /s

Nope, all 8 have their own purpose.

• Like 1

hitchcock42    7
2 hours ago, Xenon said:

Proton Mail

I will 2nd the vote for proton mail.

Secure and free. If you send to other Proton mail users, not even the Proton mail employees/bots can read your mail stored on their servers !!!