• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Best Buy now sells a $200 per year tech support subscription

branfont    171

Best Buy has launched a $200 per year subscription version of its Geek Squad service called Total Tech Support, which — despite the name — is anything but total, and is probably also a questionable value for tech support.

The service offers subscribers 24/7 tech support over the phone or online, for most tech products in the home (even if they weren’t purchased from Best Buy). Subscribers will also be able to go into Best Buy stores to receive help with basic tech support asks, like transferring data between computers, removing a virus, and something called “Level 1 Data Recovery,” which is where this also starts to sound like a Scientology scam. What is Level 2 Data Recovery? I’m not entirely sure. But I know you have to pay for it.

It turns out that, despite paying $200 per year, you still have to pay for a lot of Geek Squad services as a Total Tech Support member. Anything that requires someone to come out to your home is going to cost $50 at a minimum. If you need a bunch of appliances set up and installed over the course of a year — maybe you just moved into a new home — then this could make sense; it’s a big discount on what Best Buy normally charges. But if you’re not going to need multiple visits in a single year, you’ll probably be wasting your money.

Full article @ The Verge

NJL    7,386

Fair play. They have identified common tasks and a price that consumers are willing to pay. So what?

the comments on levels of data recovery are inane as there is no actual weight to them without knowing what’s what. Would I expect help using standard software tools? Yes. Would expect them to take my hard drive apart in a dust free environment and physically extract data? Nope.

• Like 1

+warwagon    11,153

Wouldn't surprise me if "Level 1 data recovery" is them taking a working hard drive out of a computer that won't turn on, hooking the hard drive / ssd up to a spare workstation and recovering the data by copying it onto an external.

Mockingbird    2,309

LOL.

GeekSquad is a joke.

+Mando    5,113
1 hour ago, warwagon said:

Wouldn't surprise me if "Level 1 data recovery" is them taking a working hard drive out of a computer that won't turn on, hooking the hard drive / ssd up to a spare workstation and recovering the data by copying it onto an external.

erm that Is lvl1 DR, not sure I understand your point mate. extracting media from a non booting PC and recovering data to a different system. Doesnt get more basic in DR than that, hence Lvl1.

They are offering a sub based SAS (support as a service) whether or not it has any value is irrelevant. 

@Mockingbird

Geeksquad are a joke mate ;) its plural

All the hate for best buy and the geek squad, heh love them or loathe them they have seen a gap in the market and went for it. Jealous much?

not everyone is IT literate like most of the readership here. 

NJL    7,386
3 hours ago, Mando said:

Geeksquad are a joke mate ;) its plural

I would assume them to be referred to as a singular entity? ;)

They may well be perceived as a joke, but they are a profit making company who have identified another way to make profit.  Not really a joke to their shareholders.

Moreover, if someone takes out this contract and accepts a service that doesn't fulfil the contract - then more fool them.