• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Which Western Digital nas?

Dane    176

I was shopping around fora NAS, the western digital ones end up being cheaper than buying a stand alone one and two hard drives.  I have a gift card and best buy which would knock a good chunk of the cost off.  

I was all set to pick up the Ex2 Ultra. 
https://www.wdc.com/products/network-attached-storage/my-cloud-expert-series-ex2-ultra.html

Then I found the My Cloud Home Duo (not my book)

https://www.wdc.com/products/personal-cloud-storage/my-cloud-home.html#WDBMUT0040JWT-NESN

Their both dual drives, the Home duo apparently has a quad core, whereas the ex 2 ultra has a dual core.  And it's also around $100 less than the ex2. 

it will just be used for file storage, documents, pictures, videos, no plex. 

The ex2 ultra, I can make user accounts which for it's purpose would be great.  not sure if the home duo allows that, there is no way to directly compare these two on western digital website. 

slamfire92    1,658
Posted (edited)

Dane    176
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, slamfire92 said:

They are both swapable.  I do have a spare pc I could throw some Wd reds but that’ll take up a lot more space than a small nas.  I’ll check out the 218j

edit:the 218 has half the ram.  Is that going to make a difference?

slamfire92    1,658
Posted (edited)

I'd get the ds218j model with 512MB of RAM.

• Like 1

+BudMan    3,236

if all your going to do is serve some files, nothing like plex or any other apps then you don't need a lot of ram.  Nor do you really need much cpu power..

To serve some files you sure do not need a quad core anything.. A freaking raspberry pi connected to your drives via usb can serve up your files.

• Like 2

Brandon H    2,138
2 hours ago, BudMan said:

if all your going to do is serve some files, nothing like plex or any other apps then you don't need a lot of ram.  Nor do you really need much cpu power..

To serve some files you sure do not need a quad core anything.. A freaking raspberry pi connected to your drives via usb can serve up your files.

this is true. I have a couple hard-drives connected to my router which is running OpenWRT. works great for the basics.

the main advantage to using an actual NAS would be for good RAID support.

bledd    104

Synology or QNAP

Personally, I'm a Synology kind of guy.

• Like 1

+BudMan    3,236

Really comes down to how fast you need to move the files across the network..  To how much umph you might need, or how little you could get by with, etc.

Are you clients and this nas going to be wired or wireless?  What are you running for your network, gig, AC for your wifi?  From what I can tell the new pi3b+ while it has a gig wired interface it can really only push about 300mbps. Benchmark just saw shows 200mbps in a file test..

That is clearly fast enough to watch a video, play some music off of, view docs and pictures.. Unless your talking HUGE docs and picture files?

So do you have the disk(s) your going to use in this thing already?  How much space do you expect to need now, and say in the next year or so?  Do you not have a PC now that you use?  Simple share of the storage via your current PC works as well.  Or as mentioned what router are you running - possible to just share out storage already?

• Like 1

Dane    176
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, BudMan said:

Really comes down to how fast you need to move the files across the network..  To how much umph you might need, or how little you could get by with, etc.

Are you clients and this nas going to be wired or wireless?  What are you running for your network, gig, AC for your wifi?  From what I can tell the new pi3b+ while it has a gig wired interface it can really only push about 300mbps. Benchmark just saw shows 200mbps in a file test..

That is clearly fast enough to watch a video, play some music off of, view docs and pictures.. Unless your talking HUGE docs and picture files?

So do you have the disk(s) your going to use in this thing already?  How much space do you expect to need now, and say in the next year or so?  Do you not have a PC now that you use?  Simple share of the storage via your current PC works as well.  Or as mentioned what router are you running - possible to just share out storage already?

We have gigabit internet service.  

Our main PC is our desktop and two MacBook pros.  We have the xfinity gig router since we also have a phone line. 

Really need 6-8TB since there is a bunch of pictures, go pro videos. 

I’d like a NAS for raid so the data is safe if a drive fails, some of the more sensitive stuff I’d rather not host online and rather would have that locally. 

Just a “set and forget”. Either manually drag and drop folders or select whatever I want backed up.  

I do not have any current drives for anything.  My desktop has two 1 tb drives and 1 2tb drives and they’re almost full.  Some of the drives have the same data just incase.  And other drives have different data. 

+BudMan    3,236
9 hours ago, Dane said:

I’d like a NAS for raid so the data is safe if a drive fails

Keep in mind this is NOT a backup...  pictures and videos are very unique and can not be replaced.  Unlike say your copy of the x-files tv series in your media library.

I would suggest online copy for DR, or copy on at other location - friend family, safety deposit box at bank, etc.  If not multiples of these.. And then different copy local - different media if a possible.. Archive them off to optical for example.  Or at least a different disk that is not in any way sync'd or connected to your nas in real time.

Other than how fast you can upload for backup to internet somewhere - or friends nas. Your internet speed not really a factor to how fast you need your nas to be to store pictures and videos.

Lets say you go with 2 bay so 2x8TB -- sounds like your at over 4TB now?  How long is another 4TB going to last you?  Go Pro movies (4k?) can suck up space quick ;)  You might want to look at a nas with more bays that will allow for growth for a couple of years say.  Say a 4 bay and use an an array that allows for easy expansion, and something other than just mirror that cost you /2 of your space in parity.  So for example synology SHR allows for easy expansion by just adding another drive or 2, etc.

Doesn't sound like your hurting for money ;)  With gig internet and to mac book pro's... So would expand your look to some nas that gives you some function like backup to multiple online services or other nas at friend and family.  Ability to easy expand.  For example take the drives out of a old nas and just put them in more bays and then expand the storage by adding/swapping out with bigger disks, etc.

slamfire92    1,658
Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, BudMan said:

I tend to buy a bit more than required (within reason) so I don't have to re-buy ###### earlier than expected because I underestimated my future needs.

Your knowledge and skill set are above my pay grade however, so I concede.