Not knowing how to backup.

1 hour ago, Skiver said:

Is it stupider? I don't know all of your backgrounds etc but given the forum, you're all either in IT or have an IT interest.

I could come up with examples all day where this scenario could be turned around, sure some of you will have knowledge on some topics, maybe even a lot of them but you simply don't know what you don't know and how/when backups might be required is, unfortunately, one of them.

You might take your car in for a service and something has gone wrong, some mechanics are probably sat there thinking how does this person not notice these issue, it's obvious! A Photographer (like the person in the OP) probably knows far more about cameras than a lot of us here that is blatantly obvious to them but an amateur wouldn't know about.

I mean most of us complain about end users, but at the same time if end users were perfect most of us would be out of a job :P

So whilst I share the frustrations, at the same time I'm glad 

45 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

I mean most of us complain about end users, but at the same time if end users were perfect most of us would be out of a job ?

So whilst I share the frustrations, at the same time I'm glad 

Yep, don't get me wrong I hate my "users" at work, but what I won't criticise them for is stuff they don't understand, they don't need to that's my job.

I think the closest way I could relate most of my battles is that in the OP, WW told the user they needed to do a backup, documented a process on how to backup and they then came to me with lost data because creating the backup was too inconvenient for them.

Maybe if you don't already do it @warwagonyou could advertise good backup procedures as a service? Talking end users through the benefits, showing them options like external HD's or cloud-based backups etc?

1 hour ago, Skiver said:

I think the closest way I could relate most of my battles is that in the OP, WW told the user they needed to do a backup, documented a process on how to backup and they then came to me with lost data because creating the backup was too inconvenient for them.

I never spoke to them about backup up before this happened. In this case, they just didn't know how. What I do for customers and did, in this case, is install syncback free and configure it to backup all of their stuff to their external drive. I also give them a PDF called "How to backup" which walks them through step by step how to run the backup I have created for them. While I would love for it to run automatically, on laptops it's usually not practical and with ransomware, usually not a good idea to always have your backup connected.. unless you have too / two.

Capture.JPG

• Like 4

I just had to.... (saw this on FB, thought it was funny)

33889399_10160497919260080_5733196563182780416_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/23/2018 at 10:17 AM, warwagon said:

This is true. I told her yesterday to have her daughter log into one drive and take a look to see what's there.  I doubt the free version would backup all 64GB of data.

But these same people that can't grasp backing up, also can't grasp not using some crappy password and also not using that same crappy password all over the net. So while these services are great it also automatically puts your stuff out on the securing it by the potentially the same email address and password being used all over the net.

Hardrives are so cheap nowadays, just tell her to get an external HD and do backups once a week, or once a month....

Just now, Euphoria said:

Hardrives are so cheap nowadays, just tell her to get an external HD and do backups once a week, or once a month....

Yes, they already had one for a few months but didn't know how to use it.

2 minutes ago, warwagon said:

More like too lazy to try.

How hard is it really to plug it in and see what happens; 'oh look a new drive popped up' 'Windows: What would you like to do with this drive?' And windows basically gives you options including enabling the drive as a backup device if i remember correctly (can't plug in usb at work)

this same person would have no problem plugging in a new external mouse I bet, which is ALSO usb.....

12 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Then, umm, why did they "buy" it? If they bought it for backup, that should be a no-brainer... If they didn't know how to use it, why not ask you?

• 3 weeks later...

My family has now learned not to keep data on local storage. My mom and sister both are educators and both of them have good share of lost data events whether it was due to hardware failure or human error. Now they keep it on some sort of cloud storage.

And frankly speaking over the years there have been allot of improvements in this area. You can default the cloud storage on most of the devices, you have ability recall previous version of a file, you can actively collaborate on files etc without setting up anything complex. I think now there is no excuse.

As far as security is concerned, I think everyone will have their own opinion, for me I look at the type of information and the risks involved.

• Like 2

On 6/18/2018 at 1:49 PM, IrfanL said:

As far as security is concerned, I think everyone will have their own opinion, for me I look at the type of information and the risks involved.

I only use cloud services that have two-factor. Carbonite had two-factor (not sure if they fixed it) but the Android app wouldn't ask for it. So that was a no go.

58 minutes ago, warwagon said:

I only use cloud services that have two-factor. Carbonite had two-factor (not sure if they fixed it) but the Android app wouldn't ask for it. So that was a no go.

dropbox and a few other major ones offer 2fa now

https://www.dropbox.com/help/security/enable-two-step-verification

On 5/31/2018 at 8:33 AM, warwagon said:

I never spoke to them about backup up before this happened. In this case, they just didn't know how. What I do for customers and did, in this case, is install syncback free and configure it to backup all of their stuff to their external drive. I also give them a PDF called "How to backup" which walks them through step by step how to run the backup I have created for them. While I would love for it to run automatically, on laptops it's usually not practical and with ransomware, usually not a good idea to always have your backup connected.. unless you have too / two.

Capture.JPG

I think it's pretty common. The biggest drawback to backing up your data unless you really really need it, is the fact that you gotta plug in your backup and drag & drop. I'm glad you created a pdf with Syncback, as when I heard about this a long time ago, it made backing up so much easier. Plus, when I used to work at GeekSquad, I would demonstrate how easy Syncback could be used but most ppl were like "nononono computer" and literally start having seizures.

I also think that routine backups come from experience. I've lost files I really wish i still had (thank god they were only save games lol), but I think the old saying "you don't know what you have until it's gone" is very relevant with people who don't know much about backups.

btw im at work so there may be some grammatical errors. no time to finish :(