Why does the Steam client update so much?

Never noticed anything more than average... what, once every week or two? Seems reasonable for a software streaming service.

12 minutes ago, slamfire92 said:

Thing should be self aware by now.

It literally tells you why they're updating whenever it does so why not read what it says and find out for yourself?

Then Why Does Mine popup on every boot Steam Client updating?    At least seems like every boot

How often do you open it? You have it set to run on boot? Could be if you didn't open it in 2 weeks, that may be why.

Usually open it every day and play  game, set to run on boot right now, but might change that when I tune up PC a bit, and remove some stuff I don't use possibly.    could even be Avast blocking the updates maybe, who knows

3 hours ago, bikeman25 said:

Then Why Does Mine popup on every boot Steam Client updating?    At least seems like every boot

My laptop does the same, I assume it's just some sort of self check and not an actual update.

• 2 months later...

Well it’s because you’re so awesome, they want it always working right when you come on to game :)

On 5/27/2018 at 12:02 AM, firey said:

My laptop does the same, I assume it's just some sort of self check and not an actual update.

yes there is an update check every time the client is launched. at the same time it also re-authenticates your id/pw with the server.

the wording on the launch splash progress bar could be better

On 5/26/2018 at 7:59 PM, trag3dy said:

It literally tells you why they're updating whenever it does so why not read what it says and find out for yourself?

Not always. In fact, I usually don't see a change log after an update. I have seen change logs but rarely. 

10 minutes ago, slamfire92 said:

Not always. In fact, I usually don't see a change log after an update. I have seen change logs but rarely. 

The patch notes are displayed in the Update notification, not afterwards:

idEwpmy.png

Also check if you are on the beta program, you might be seeing more frequent updates as a result. Stable release patch notes are archived here.

Topic moved to PC Gaming

44 minutes ago, Andrew said:

The patch notes are displayed in the Update notification, not afterwards:

idEwpmy.png

Also check if you are on the beta program, you might be seeing more frequent updates as a result. Stable release patch notes are archived here.

Topic moved to PC Gaming

Strange...It begins updating as soon as I login and the only time I do get a change log is after the update. As I said though, I rarely see one.

Anyway, I guess its not a big deal. Was mainly a rant when I first posted. It just really slows down the boot process, thats all. Once I get around to installing my SSD boot drive, it won't be such an issue.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/26/2018 at 9:13 PM, bikeman25 said:

It doesn't update it just checks if there's an update available. When it's updating you need to restart it after and it displays the changes log in a window.

• 2 months later...

If your Steam client is installing an update every time you run/login to it then a failed update maybe the likely cause. It used to happen to me.  I manually downloaded the latest client and did a full re-install this fixed it.  Not sure if yours is the same issue but maybe worth a try.