• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

How do you open firewall ?

Question

Deep_Level_Shark    6

How do you  open firewall  by domain name or  by IP address ?

I am behind firewall.  

Example :

$telnet google.com 80 

Connecting To google.com...Could not open connection to the host, on port 80: Connect failed

It does not connect.

Do you open firewall  by  google server IP address or  by google.com domain ?

If  by IP address , what is the IP address of google server  to open firewall  ?

Edited by Deep_Level_Shark

7 answers to this question

+BudMan    3,446

what firewall are you behind

google.com is going to have all kinds of IPs and they are going to change.. And its going to be different depending on what part of the world your in.

Deep_Level_Shark    6
9 hours ago, BudMan said:

what firewall are you behind

corporate firewall.

I have no idea what firewall it is.

Does firewall software allow opening by IP or by  domain name ?

+BudMan    3,446

Depends on the firewall.. I would suggest you get with your corporate IT dept if something is not working that you think should be working.

Yes some firewalls allow for a FQDN that gets resolved every so often to allow access. Maybe your using a proxy to get out of your corp network and would not ever have direct access out any port like how you tried with telnet.  Running a proxy on corp networks is very very common which allows them to control access to categories, etc... Think squid or bluecoat, etc. etc.

YaZoR    0

Firstly, does google.com resolve to anything?

Your initial post suggests using *nix with the $ prompt, but the error is from windows. I'm assuming you will know how to check FQDN resolution.

If it resolves with IP successfully, then it would appear the firewall is preventing access.

I'd then suggest talking to your network administrator(s)

Nick H.    9,701

If it is a corporate firewall then you need to speak to your IT department. While there may be ways to circumvent the firewall without their intervention, the access is possibly being blocked for a reason. If, however, it is a mistake in their firewall rules there shouldn't be any issue with them adding an exception.

• Like 1

Brandon H    2,840
4 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

If it is a corporate firewall then you need to speak to your IT department. While there may be ways to circumvent the firewall without their intervention, the access is possibly being blocked for a reason. If, however, it is a mistake in their firewall rules there shouldn't be any issue with them adding an exception.

this; always go through your IT. circumventing your corporations filters will generally get you in trouble if not fired if something happens.

• Like 1

sc302    1,722

there are lots of things that could be blocking it.  The best thing to do is contact your IT department.  

It could be a firewall, it could be a web content filter, it could be a proxy, it could be endpoint security...I couldnt begin to tell you how your IT group setup your network or how many devices you go through or filter you before you get to the website you want to go to.  You need to contact them and let them troubleshoot.

• Like 1