Graphics card fan turns on but no display shows up on monitor

Hardware:

gpu: ASUS Phoenix GTX 1050 TI

mobo: msi B250M PRO-VDH

(I’ll provide other info if you need it to answer)

I just got all my new pc parts in today and put everything together as usual, but there seems to be a problem with my graphics card. When I turn on the computer, the CPU fan turns on as does the graphics card fan, but no display shows up on my monitor. When I take the graphics card out and plug the HDMI into the mobo the display shows up just fine, so I think it’s a graphics card issue which is frustrating considering it came in the mail today. Any ideas on how to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance!

1. Try putting the GPU in another PCIe slot.
  2. Try the new GPU in another computer (freind/family).
  3. Try a different GPU if available (friend/family) in your new computer.
  4. Return/exchange new GPU.

You sure you connected the GPU 6/8-pin? Could have been loose.

19 hours ago, annaprins said:

Hardware:

gpu: ASUS Phoenix GTX 1050 TI

mobo: msi B250M PRO-VDH

(I’ll provide other info if you need it to answer)

I just got all my new pc parts in today and put everything together as usual, but there seems to be a problem with my graphics card. When I turn on the computer, the CPU fan turns on as does the graphics card fan, but no display shows up on my monitor. When I take the graphics card out and plug the HDMI into the mobo the display shows up just fine, so I think it’s a graphics card issue which is frustrating considering it came in the mail today. Any ideas on how to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance!

Double check the card is seated properly in the PCIE slot. Also verify you have plugged in the auxiliary power to the graphics card.

Usually when you buy a new motherboard the BIOS is out of date right out of the box. So update it in case it is a detection issue.

Also, check BIOS settings for anything that might interfere.

if all connectors are connected, reflash the mobo bios with the same version (if no newer is available), so that the PCI-e slot redetects the correct init voltage for the new card. Also make sure your 1050ti has a specific hdmi/DP ports to use as single display (my 1080ti has a specific DP)

i had to do that on a Z68 mobo when i changed my 970 for a 1080ti and had the same issues. reflashing the same version of mobo bios fixed it and it would POST everytime. Sounds totally random until you think about it.

• 3 weeks later...

I wish you could have provided with more information with details or specifications. Nevertheless, just assuming that you have R9 380 4GB card just to make you understand. First you could try by connecting it with more powerful power supply unit just if not in your case, reason being, prior you would be using only on windows without any graphic driver installed but once you install it, your GPU drenches all of the power from supply, thus, increasing its power demand.

Now, as per your statement, you have all the components brand new, you should check for Pci-e based card installed in your system before connecting graphic card. Just connect that monitor cable to monitor  and enter the BIOS of your motherboard. Now set the interface mode to Pci-e or peg mode and save all the new settings. Switch graphic cable from motherboard to video points of new graphic card. 
Once you restart the computer you won't be facing the same problem and you would be getting the response from new graphic card.
One more point to add on is to make sure all pins of the 12v Eatx are connected to the motherboard.
So, crux is just check everything just be sufficient enough and most importantly the power supply to run the graphic card fine.

Thanks!

the fans turning on just means power is getting to the cooler, it doesn't mean the gpu is working or getting data. 

Install a BIOS Update

Reset the BIOS to factory

Try the GPU  in other PCI-e ports (if there are any)

Try other GPUs in that PCI-e port

Try this GPU in a different PC

If all of this fails, RMA the GPU