BT Ultrafast Broadband (in the UK)

So this has landed in my area very recently.  I stand to make some serious gains because the cab is almost right outside my door.  Has anyone got it already?

If so, did you get an all-in-one device or a a separate modem and wireless router?  I'm being told it is an all-in-one *expletive removed* "BT Smart Hub X" and, worse, it doesn't have a bridge mode.  As far as I understand no-one is actually selling GFast modems yet ?

If this is indeed the case, I'll be sticking was VDSL2 (and my very speedy 85Mbps) until I can get a separate modem to enjoy the 330Mbps on offer.  Maybe Draytek will update the Vigor 130?

Can anyone provide any info?

Thanks

I've got the new G.Fast service from BT using the Smart Hub X and a Linksys WRT1900ACS running just fine and get full speed both wired and wireless

3 minutes ago, Ready2018 said:

I've got the new G.Fast service from BT using the Smart Hub X and a Linksys WRT1900ACS running just fine and get full speed both wired and wireless

Thanks - do you know what is doing DHCP in your setup?

Is your Smart Hub X acting as a router or modem?

2 minutes ago, Fahim S. said:

Thanks - do you know what is doing DHCP in your setup?

Is your Smart Hub X acting as a router or modem?

The smart hub X is the doing the DHCP and I just put the linksys into bridge mode and everything works perfectly. I've got a three story 4 bed house and get full speed with the wireless from the linksys and have estimated that it would handle upto a 600mb connection on the wireless, so I've got headroom for future upgrades if they did any on the g.fast as I'm only less than 25 meters from the street cabinet.

2 minutes ago, Ready2018 said:

The smart hub X is the doing the DHCP and I just put the linksys into bridge mode and everything works perfectly. I've got a three story 4 bed house and get full speed with the wireless from the linksys and have estimated that it would handle upto a 600mb connection on the wireless, so I've got headroom for future upgrades if they did any on the g.fast as I'm only less than 25 meters from the street cabinet.

OK... I don't want the Smart Hub X to do DHCP.  I have my own router/firewall (and separate AP) that I'd like to use.  I moved to this setup because the HH6 was unstable as all hell with my config (specific DHCP ranges, reserved IP addresses etc).  It's probably great for those people that plug it in and don't touch it.

Thanks for the info.  Looks like I'll be sticking with my VDSL2 setup for now.

PS I don't think your Linksys is in bridge mode... maybe in Access Point mode.  Not the same thing.

18 minutes ago, Fahim S. said:

OK... I don't want the Smart Hub X to do DHCP.  I have my own router/firewall (and separate AP) that I'd like to use.  I moved to this setup because the HH6 was unstable as all hell with my config (specific DHCP ranges, reserved IP addresses etc).  It's probably great for those people that plug it in and don't touch it.

Thanks for the info.  Looks like I'll be sticking with my VDSL2 setup for now.

PS I don't think your Linksys is in bridge mode... maybe in Access Point mode.  Not the same thing.

I've found that the Smart X is more stable than the normal SmartHub (no resets every 14 days) much quicker if there is a re-sync (only a couple of seconds compared to a couple of mins on the VDSL service).

Edit: I've just tried setting it up so that the Linksys is the DHCP instead of the Smarthub X and I can confirm that works to, so you can use your own router for the DHCP

As you can see from the attached screenshot it does say bridge mode

linksys.jpg

Edited by Ready2018

1 hour ago, Ready2018 said:

I've found that the Smart X is more stable than the normal SmartHub (no resets every 14 days) much quicker if there is a re-sync (only a couple of seconds compared to a couple of mins on the VDSL service).

Edit: I've just tried setting it up so that the Linksys is the DHCP instead of the Smarthub X and I can confirm that works to, so you can use your own router for the DHCP

As you can see from the attached screenshot it does say bridge mode

linksys.jpg

Can the BT device act just as a modem? That's all I want.

I don't want a situation where I am doing double NAT.

The resync speed is a characteristic of GFast and not specific to the BT device.

Regardless of how good the BT unit, I can guarantee mine is better ?

The smarthub in my case seems to be just acting as a modem as all my port forwarding is set in my linksys and have all my devices running from the linksys including all the wired connections.

I also use my connection for livestreaming and found that the latency is far lower on the g.fast connection and I'm able to stream media from my NAS when I'm not at home

So what routing options have you switched off on the hub? Besides DHCP?

7 minutes ago, Fahim S. said:

So what routing options have you switched off on the hub? Besides DHCP?

Because I've got the Wifi turned off and nothing attached on the wired side of the smarthub everything is routed through to the linksys, it just seems to work. This is possibly because it's using the same firmware that they use for the FTTP connections so that you can by-pass the normal ethernet port and use port 4 as a wan port.

That doesn’t mean the hub is in bridge mode and acting as a modem. 

You would have had to set it into bridge mode if it was possible to do so, which from what I have read isn’t possible. 

32 minutes ago, Fahim S. said:

That doesn’t mean the hub is in bridge mode and acting as a modem. 

You would have had to set it into bridge mode if it was possible to do so, which from what I have read isn’t possible. 

I think  I didn't make it clear in my edit that when I changed the Linksys to DHCP I also changed it from bridge mode to pppoe mode, which worked when I plugged the ethernet cable into port 4 (wan port)

That's how I know that the smarthub is acting as a modem and the Linksys is acting as the router. I hope this now makes it more clear and sorry that I didn't make that clear when I edited my post

linksys2.jpg

Edited by Ready2018